PDA

View Full Version : Driver for Geoforce MX?

Terry Pinnell[_3_]
June 6th 13, 03:26 PM
My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Chris S.[_3_]
June 6th 13, 03:37 PM
"Terry Pinnell" > wrote in message
> My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
> re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
> for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

All here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Chris

Paul
June 6th 13, 05:06 PM
On 06/06/2013 10:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
> My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
> re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
> for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?

On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

Version: 93.71 WHQL
Release Date: November 2, 2006
Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 40.5 MB

You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.

http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB

Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following components:
INF V3.10A
AGP V4.60A
V-RAID V5.80
RAID Tools v5.85
VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A

And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.

Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
of these is already present.

Paul

Terry Pinnell[_3_]
June 6th 13, 05:45 PM
Paul > wrote:

>On 06/06/2013 10:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
>> re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
>> for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?
>>

>On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.
>
>http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
>
>Version: 93.71 WHQL
>Release Date: November 2, 2006
>Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
>Language: U.S. English
>File Size: 40.5 MB
>
>You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
>driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.
>
>http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB
>
> Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following components:
> INF V3.10A
> AGP V4.60A
> V-RAID V5.80
> RAID Tools v5.85
> VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A
>
>And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.
>
>Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
>of these is already present.
>
> Paul

Thanks a bunch, Paul, that's very helpful.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Paul
June 6th 13, 08:51 PM
Paul wrote:
> On 06/06/2013 10:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
>> re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
>> for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?
>>

> On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
>
> Version: 93.71 WHQL
> Release Date: November 2, 2006
> Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
> Language: U.S. English
> File Size: 40.5 MB
>
> You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
> driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB
>

> Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following
> components:
> INF V3.10A
> AGP V4.60A
> V-RAID V5.80
> RAID Tools v5.85
> VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A
>
> And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.
>
> Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
> of these is already present.
>
> Paul

I screwed up.

You have A7A266-E and an ALI chipset, not VIA. I don't
know where I got that idea. For ALI, you're pretty
well stuck with whatever Asus offered (might be too hard
to track down a file from the original source).

There is ALi AGP miniport driver 1.90 English here,
from 2002.07.10. An AGP driver, helps satisfy the
video card driver, when it expected to be talking
to an AGP driver.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10

If you try to install the VIA Hyperion, it should refuse it...

Paul

Terry Pinnell[_3_]
June 7th 13, 07:20 AM
Paul > wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> On 06/06/2013 10:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>> My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
>>> re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
>>> for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?
>>>

>> On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.
>>
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
>>
>> Version: 93.71 WHQL
>> Release Date: November 2, 2006
>> Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
>> Language: U.S. English
>> File Size: 40.5 MB
>>
>> You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
>> driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.
>>
>> http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB
>>

>> Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following
>> components:
>> INF V3.10A
>> AGP V4.60A
>> V-RAID V5.80
>> RAID Tools v5.85
>> VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A
>>
>> And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.
>>
>> Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
>> of these is already present.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>I screwed up.
>
>You have A7A266-E and an ALI chipset, not VIA. I don't
>know where I got that idea. For ALI, you're pretty
>well stuck with whatever Asus offered (might be too hard
>to track down a file from the original source).
>
>There is ALi AGP miniport driver 1.90 English here,
>from 2002.07.10. An AGP driver, helps satisfy the
>video card driver, when it expected to be talking
>to an AGP driver.
>
>http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10
>
>If you try to install the VIA Hyperion, it should refuse it...
>
> Paul

Thanks for the follow-up, Paul.

But you're way ahead of me technically on this stuff! I was hoping to get
just a single no-brainer link to an Nvidia driver. I'd then install it in
routine fashion to see if it gave me a 'better' experience than whatever
the Window XP Home has installed by default, particularly in its range of
options for resolution.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Paul
June 7th 13, 08:12 AM
Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Paul > wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>>>
>>> On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.
>>>
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
>>>
>>> Version: 93.71 WHQL
>>> Release Date: November 2, 2006
>>> Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
>>> Language: U.S. English
>>> File Size: 40.5 MB
>>>
>>> You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
>>> driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.
>>>
>>> http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB
>>>

>>> Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following
>>> components:
>>> INF V3.10A
>>> AGP V4.60A
>>> V-RAID V5.80
>>> RAID Tools v5.85
>>> VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A
>>>
>>> And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.
>>>
>>> Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
>>> of these is already present.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> I screwed up.
>>
>> You have A7A266-E and an ALI chipset, not VIA. I don't
>> know where I got that idea. For ALI, you're pretty
>> well stuck with whatever Asus offered (might be too hard
>> to track down a file from the original source).
>>
>> There is ALi AGP miniport driver 1.90 English here,
>>from 2002.07.10. An AGP driver, helps satisfy the
>> video card driver, when it expected to be talking
>> to an AGP driver.
>>
>> http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10
>>
>> If you try to install the VIA Hyperion, it should refuse it...
>>
>> Paul
>
> Thanks for the follow-up, Paul.
>
> But you're way ahead of me technically on this stuff! I was hoping to get
> just a single no-brainer link to an Nvidia driver. I'd then install it in
> routine fashion to see if it gave me a 'better' experience than whatever
> the Window XP Home has installed by default, particularly in its range of
> options for resolution.

OK, well my experience is, the driver stack is sensitive to its
dependencies.

I've had video drivers, that needed a certain minimum version of
DirectX installed first. In some cases, they install it for you
(when you use the driver CD that came with the video card).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx

DirectX 9.0c 4.09.00.0904
DirectX - bimonthly updates Latest version: June 2010

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

DirectX is a bit weird, in that each of the "updates" can contain
a specific file for that release, and they seem to be "accumulative".
If you downloaded and installed everything from the year 2004
onwards, you end up with more files installed than if using just
the very last one. And some games, depend on a specific year and month
of installation (i.e. needing something in the file of that particular
update). I hardly call this a "release control system", when they
all have the same release number 4.09.00.0904, and yet different
users can have a different collection of the "separate" files.

In any case, if you're not a game player, this hardly matters, Your
job is to make the other software happy. Grab the "id-8109" link and
hope for the best. The reason I say hope for the best, is Microsoft
has a nasty habit of labeling a download as "for WinXP", you get
it and then discover it's only for Vista or later. Very annoying.

*******

The NVidia (or ATI) drivers will not be happy unless the pre-requisites
are loaded first. In other words, the software stack, enforces the
dependencies. In the case of ATI, they need .NET 2.0 for the control
panel to work. I don't know about NVidia in this case.

The AGP driver should be there as well.

The driver stack will not instantiate unless all the elements for
it are present, so the software stack kinda enforces this for you.
If you haven't met one of the dependencies, you'll find out
soon enough.

*******

If we look at this one, this is your NVidia driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

Under the products supported tab, you can see:

GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 MX 400

So we know your card is in the list. And, the driver is listed
as WinXP/Win2K.

Give that download a try. If you can't get it to install,
review your DirectX. (In some cases, what we think is a
WinXP DirectX driver on the Microsoft site, is actually
only for a later OS leading to a lot of "tail-chasing".
The Microsoft end of things, is a never-ending load of fun.)

In Start : Run, try typing "dxdiag" without the quotes, as
dxdiag is the program that lists the contents of the DirectX
subsystem. It should have some release information shown.

The ALI AGP Miniport, is for changing the Device Manager
entry for the video card slot, to AGP, and supporting things
like the AGP GART.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10

The GART is described here. It's a way for the OS to map more
memory, for the video card to use. Memory for textures,
is stored in the video card memory, but a chunk of system
memory can be used as well (allocated at runtime). The
AGP Miniport may be part of that bit of it. The "aperture",
is a setting you can see in the BIOS. The aperture setting
may be in the BIOS, to allow some address space to be allocated
for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_address_remapping_table

To test I've done it right. I load this benchmark. If this
benchmark (40MB) does not complain about DirectX at all,
and you see the benchmark run to completion and give you
a performance number, then you've done a good job on
the installation of the three items named above (four
items if you include the .NET 2.0 dependency of ATI
video cards).

"3Dmark 2001 SE (Build 330)"
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/3dmark_2001.html

That is listed as shareware, but it doesn't nag you at
all. And can be un-installed after one test run if you want.
For me, it's basically a proof I did the job right (on
my older, AGP systems). I prefer that version, because
it is only a 40MB download or so, whereas some of the
later versions can be around 500MB for all the textures
they use. It's a relatively lightweight download.

I did have one other benchmark, which is only a 4MB
download, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere near
as challenging for the hardware. For that one, it's
almost like watching a bad movie.

On older systems, that benchmark was handy for tweaking,
for comparing video card driver versions and so on.
I think some people may even have tuned their system
overclocks, to get as high a 3DMark value as possible.
So at one time, using a copy of that was all part of the
tuneup fun. In this case, I'm recommending it, just
to prove everything is installed properly.

HTH,
Paul