PDA

View Full Version : Had to roll back from 310.90

Terry Pinnell[_3_]
January 18th 13, 05:18 PM
I updated my nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT driver a week or so ago to version
310.90. But I hit a major problem. I use FRAPS (mainly to record Google
Earth tours) and the frame rate dropped from its typical 20-30 fps to an
unacceptable 5-6 fps. Some googling last night revealed that it's a known
issue.

So I used the Roll Back facility on this PC and am now using the driver
which Win XP calls 6.14.13.623. If I've got the hang of the conversion
that means version 362.3 in nVidia terms, yes? Is that my best choice? If
not, could someone give me a pointer to a more stable/reliable one pleased

But to my dismay this roll back has not fixed the FRAPS problem. Yet I WAS
using that version for many months with FRAPS with no problem.

Anyone have any ideas what I should try next please?

--------------------

BTW, it might be unrelated but I've just noticed that in Device Manager >
Display adapters there's another entry as well as nVidia, called LogMeIn
Mirror Driver. Haven't had time to research that yet.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Fierce Guppy[_4_]
February 5th 13, 08:49 AM
>"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
>
>I updated my nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT driver a week or so ago to version
>310.90. But I hit a major problem. I use FRAPS (mainly to record Google
>Earth tours) and the frame rate dropped from its typical 20-30 fps to an
>unacceptable 5-6 fps. Some googling last night revealed that it's a known
>issue.

>So I used the Roll Back facility on this PC and am now using the driver
>which Win XP calls 6.14.13.623. If I've got the hang of the conversion
>that means version 362.3 in nVidia terms, yes?

XP should be calling it 6.14.13.0623 which equates to version 306.23

>Is that my best choice? If
>not, could someone give me a pointer to a more stable/reliable one pleased

You've gone back two versions. There is also 310.70. Assuming you have
32-bit XP then this is the link:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/54730

To date I've been lucky enough to have had no 3xx series driver instability
issues, so I can't recommend one driver over another.

>But to my dismay this roll back has not fixed the FRAPS problem. Yet I WAS
>using that version for many months with FRAPS with no problem.

When you install the nvidia drivers select the "Custom (Advanced)" option,
click Next, then tick "Perform clean installation" and proceed with the
install. I've had nasty desktop artefacts appear that no system restore
point could fix.

>Anyone have any ideas what I should try next please?
>
>--------------------
>
>BTW, it might be unrelated but I've just noticed that in Device Manager >
>Display adapters there's another entry as well as nVidia, called LogMeIn
>Mirror Driver. Haven't had time to research that yet.

That's an interesting one. I'd right click on the logmeln mirror driver and
disable it just to see if you gain FPS. It's a mirror driver which implies
that it duplicates operations sent to the regular graphics card driver. This
particular one sounds likes it's part of some remote desktop viewing
software package, although the driver should only be sucking up resources
when in use.

--
Tony.

Christchurch, New Zealand.