PDA

View Full Version : Geforce GTX 460 is a good video card?

January 19th 11, 06:54 PM
Is Geforce GTX 470 very better of Geforce GTX 460? I'm undecided.
thanks

Paul
January 19th 11, 07:34 PM
wrote:
> Is Geforce GTX 470 very better of Geforce GTX 460? I'm undecided.
> thanks

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/3DMark06-v1.1.0,2484.html

3DMark06 v1.1.0 (1280x1024, Default Quality)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 (1280 MB) 23885
Gainward GTX460 GLH (1024 MB) 23070

Use the charts, to compare the cards.

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GTX-470-card-628.html

GPU: GTX 400

Max Power Draw: 215 W

Process: 40 nm
Fragment Pipelines: 448 (480)
Vertex Pipelines: 448 (480)
Texture Units: 56 (60)
Raster Operators 40 (48)

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-GTX-460-1GB-card-632.html GTX 460 1GB card

GPU: GF104

Max Power Draw: 160 W

Process: 40 nm
Fragment Pipelines: 336
Vertex Pipelines: 336
Texture Units: 56
Raster Operators 32

More info here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series

Paul

Jim[_31_]
January 20th 11, 03:57 PM
Just be sure to get the 1GB non SE one. Pics of the 560 are out so that may
be out soon.

January 20th 11, 07:10 PM
>Just be sure to get the 1GB non SE one. Pics of the 560 are out so that may
>be out soon.

I don't understan can you explain better please? What videocard do you
suggest me?

Le Forgeron[_2_]
January 20th 11, 08:05 PM
Le 20/01/2011 19:10, nous fit lire :
>> Just be sure to get the 1GB non SE one. Pics of the 560 are out so that may
>> be out soon.
>
> I don't understan can you explain better please? What videocard do you
> suggest me?

He suggests a 460 with 1GB, as long as it is not a 460 SE.
Or to wait a bit for a 560.

Data from Paul in this thread show little difference between 470 & 460.
(from 3DMark06 at 1280x1024)
Now, the real issue is: what is your intended usage ?

Would you have the usage of the extra memory & pipelines & units ?
Is your power supply sized for a Graphic card at 215W or 160W ?
What is your budget ?

deimos[_2_]
January 23rd 11, 08:36 PM
On 1/20/2011 1:05 PM, Le Forgeron wrote:
> Le 20/01/2011 19:10, nous fit lire :
>>> Just be sure to get the 1GB non SE one. Pics of the 560 are out so that may
>>> be out soon.
>>
>> I don't understan can you explain better please? What videocard do you
>> suggest me?
>
> He suggests a 460 with 1GB, as long as it is not a 460 SE.
> Or to wait a bit for a 560.
>
> Data from Paul in this thread show little difference between 470& 460.
> (from 3DMark06 at 1280x1024)
> Now, the real issue is: what is your intended usage ?
>
> Would you have the usage of the extra memory& pipelines& units ?
> Is your power supply sized for a Graphic card at 215W or 160W ?
> What is your budget ?

Here's another vote for the 460. I've been infinitely happy with my
Sparkle GTX 460 1GB. The 470 is actually an older chip; not nearly as
efficient and many times slower vs the factory overclocked 460's in
certain resolutions. Plus the 460 has much better power usage. My
entire system's idle use dropped 25-30W going from a 9800GTX+ to GTX 460!

February 6th 11, 11:14 AM
In your opinion if I like to get good performance, do I have to
configure it or for default it works fine? For exemple, with Geforce
GTX 470 do I have enable "Antialias"? Some info please.

>Here's another vote for the 460. I've been infinitely happy with my
>Sparkle GTX 460 1GB. The 470 is actually an older chip; not nearly as
>efficient and many times slower vs the factory overclocked 460's in
>certain resolutions. Plus the 460 has much better power usage. My
>entire system's idle use dropped 25-30W going from a 9800GTX+ to GTX 460!

Le Forgeron[_2_]
February 6th 11, 07:45 PM
Le 06/02/2011 11:14, nous fit lire :
> In your opinion if I like to get good performance, do I have to
> configure it or for default it works fine? For exemple, with Geforce
> GTX 470 do I have enable "Antialias"? Some info please.

What do you call "good performance" ?
high frame rate or detail picture ? They are a bit of opposite.

Better performance is with the proprietary driver. Keep them up to date.

Antialias is a way to get a nicer picture, at the price of frame rate.
Now, first hint: just sync your frame rate with your display, no real
point at having 300 fps if your screen display only 60 fps.
Usually each game has its own setting for graphic quality, you should
respect them. Forcing Antialias (at the system level) is only if you
really need to override that.

Default setting provides good performance, IMHO, but YMMV.

Oh, last point: if your screen is big & large (in number of pixel), it
is recommended to use a dual link DVI cable, as single link DVI cable
(&DVI) are restricted in term of bandwidth.

what I call large ? more than 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz.

February 6th 11, 09:29 PM
>What do you call "good performance" ?
>high frame rate or detail picture ? They are a bit of opposite.

You are right. I will use that videocard for video editing. Do you
think that it in default works fine?
thanks

Foke[_2_]
February 7th 11, 06:55 PM
On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:29:45 +0100, wrote:

>>What do you call "good performance" ?
>>high frame rate or detail picture ? They are a bit of opposite.
>
>You are right. I will use that videocard for video editing. Do you
>think that it in default works fine?
>thanks

It should work fine.

For video editing the processor is more important than the video card,
unless your video editing software utilizes the GPU. And in that case
you're *still* OK with the 460.