PDA

View Full Version : nvidia geforce2 mx/mx400 driver?


jodleren
November 2nd 10, 09:58 PM
Hi all!

I got a computer with such a card - at least windows says so! The card
does not tell much itself, BIOS version 3.00.18.00.11 if I recall
correctly.

But there is no driver on nvidia.com - only for 420, 440 and 460 and
4000. Does MS just state that it is an MX3 series board?
Or - I found the MX datasheet, for MX, MX200 and MX400. Is that the
one I have?

Also, it has a CVBS outout - I want to connect it to my TV, which
works well - except:

1 I get a very white, almost black/white picture. I have checked the
cable (I work with electronics), and tried a number of cables. Still
nothing. Can it be the resistance?
It should be 50 ohms if I am right, so, adding a resistor to it? Maybe
my Phlips TV has a to high input impedance?

2 I'd like to have both screens on at the same time - VGA and CVBS -
as my computer is in another room. Is that possible?

As of now, 2 hours of searching I only got this

WBR
Sonnich

Anonymous
November 3rd 10, 05:20 AM
jodleren wrote:

> Also, it has a CVBS outout - I want to connect it to my TV, which
> works well - except:
>
> 1 I get a very white, almost black/white picture. I have checked the
> cable (I work with electronics), and tried a number of cables. Still
> nothing. Can it be the resistance?
> It should be 50 ohms if I am right, so, adding a resistor to it? Maybe
> my Phlips TV has a to high input impedance?

Or the TV standard setting is wrong. Check whether the TV output is set
to NTSC or PAL and set it to the right standard.

> 2 I'd like to have both screens on at the same time - VGA and CVBS -
> as my computer is in another room. Is that possible?

Yes, if the driver supports that.

Bye!

Paul
November 3rd 10, 05:53 AM
jodleren wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I got a computer with such a card - at least windows says so! The card
> does not tell much itself, BIOS version 3.00.18.00.11 if I recall
> correctly.
>
> But there is no driver on nvidia.com - only for 420, 440 and 460 and
> 4000. Does MS just state that it is an MX3 series board?
> Or - I found the MX datasheet, for MX, MX200 and MX400. Is that the
> one I have?
>
> Also, it has a CVBS outout - I want to connect it to my TV, which
> works well - except:
>
> 1 I get a very white, almost black/white picture. I have checked the
> cable (I work with electronics), and tried a number of cables. Still
> nothing. Can it be the resistance?
> It should be 50 ohms if I am right, so, adding a resistor to it? Maybe
> my Phlips TV has a to high input impedance?
>
> 2 I'd like to have both screens on at the same time - VGA and CVBS -
> as my computer is in another room. Is that possible?
>
> As of now, 2 hours of searching I only got this
>
> WBR
> Sonnich

There is a driver list in the "Support" section here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce2_MX

*******

Make sure you have the correct pinout and cabling for the
mini-DIN connector. S-video output option, has two signals
called Luminance and Chrominance (Y-C). If you connect one
of those signals to the TV by itself, a black and white picture
results.

You can convert S-Video to Composite, by using a capacitor
to couple Y and C signals together. That is how an adapter
would do it. On the video card though, they might have a
separate signal with the Composite signal on it, rather
than using the capacitor trick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-din

This is just one example of a mini-DIN pinout.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/97/images/pinout.gif

The position of the S-VHS (S-Video) signals are in standard
positions (Y,C,GND,GND). That allows a four pin cable to work with
just about any video card. You'd want to make sure, that
the connection to your TV, is not using "Y" or "C" alone.
If you have a Composite (CVBS) input on the TV, then it should
be going to the one marked with a yellow line in that pinout
picture.

The usage of the other pins, on 7 or 9 pin connectors, may
not be standardized. For example, some video cards support
YPbPr (component) outputs on the connector (probably a nine pin).
You really want to use any adapter that comes in the video card box,
in a case like that. If you wanted S-Video, then any S-Video cable
is bound to work. I'm not sure whether the Composite signal
is always in the position shown in the photo or not.

Now based on the above, if I wanted CVBS, and I didn't want
to research pinouts or cabling, I would use

Video card ---- 4 pin S-Video cable --- S-Video to Composite Adapter --- TV

This is what the S-video to Composite adapter looks like inside.
There is a 470 picofarad capacitor inside the adapter, with
plastic molded around it.

http://www.pablin.com.ar/electron/circuito/video/svideo/circuito.gif

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/3474/shem2.jpg

But that is unnecessary, if you have the right cabling for the
video card connector already. If the cabling provides a
Composite signal, the necessary signal should already be
available, and in color.

Paul

jodleren
November 3rd 10, 08:21 AM
On Nov 3, 6:20*am, Anonymous > wrote:
> jodleren wrote:
> > Also, it has a CVBS outout - I want to connect it to my TV, which
> > works well - except:
>
> > 1 I get a very white, almost black/white picture. I have checked the
> > cable (I work with electronics), and tried a number of cables. Still
> > nothing. Can it be the resistance?
> > It should be 50 ohms if I am right, so, adding a resistor to it? Maybe
> > my Phlips TV has a to high input impedance?
>
> Or the TV standard setting is wrong. Check whether the TV output is set
> to NTSC or PAL and set it to the right standard.
>
> > 2 I'd like to have both screens on at the same time - VGA and CVBS -
> > as my computer is in another room. Is that possible?
>
> Yes, if the driver supports that.

Thanks to both of you.

I got the driver, I found that all MX boards use the same driver, so I
dont need anything specific.
It offers to have the same picture on both, though - it doesnt work :)

I will check - but in general it is ok

I use the CVBS output, there is such a Phono output - but I will try
with the S-video system too

Sonnich