PDA

View Full Version : GTX 470 Video card deal headsup


rms[_4_]
August 11th 10, 06:52 PM
If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card, take a gander
at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition. This card is marketed as a
gtx465, but the hardware itself is a 470, and just needs a simple bios
flash. NCIX is even doing the flash themselves and selling it as a 470;
rather brazen of them if you ask me, but anyway newegg had them for $270
shipped last week, and I couldn't resist. At this price it gives a very
good perf/price. Overclock.net has easy flashing guides.

I'm very pleased with it. The heatsink is all-copper, fan noise is very
reasonable and low-pitched, and it overclocks to close to a stock gtx480
speeds. Compared to my radeon 4870, where StalkerCoP needed DX9 settings to
run at 1920x1200 smoothly, I now run maxed-out DX11 settings instead. No
complaints yet!

rms

rms[_4_]
August 13th 10, 06:21 PM
> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card, take a
> gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.

Down to $240 now on newegg!

rms

Zank Frappa
August 14th 10, 08:23 AM
Legion wrote:
> "rms" wrote:
>
>>> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card, take a
>>> gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.
>>
>> Down to $240 now on newegg!
>
> 349.99 plus 7.87 shipping..on Newegg.

http://imgur.com/5OuY5.png

Dan Lingman
August 15th 10, 12:41 AM
Legion > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 07:23:54 +0000 (UTC), Zank Frappa >
> wrote:
>
>>Legion wrote:
>>> "rms" wrote:
>>>
>>>>> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card,
>>>>> take a gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.
>>>>
>>>> Down to $240 now on newegg!
>>>
>>> 349.99 plus 7.87 shipping..on Newegg.
>>
>>http://imgur.com/5OuY5.png
>
> What did you do, Photoshop that image?
> That is just a picture..show me the web site.
> Newegg web site states the price I quoted above.
>
> Legion
>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127504
&cm_re=msi_N465gtx-_-14-127-504-_-Product

Showing 259.99 (234.99 after 25$ rebate), 7.87 shipping right now.

Dan.

rms[_4_]
August 15th 10, 04:12 AM
>>>>>> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card,
>>>>>> take a gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.

I'm not saying this is the deal to end all deals. From what rumors I've
read, this first generation of Fermi cards wasn't all that well received,
and nvidia is clearing inventory for the next revision. In my mind, ATI
cards like the 5850 & 5870 are still selling for their original MSRP and are
way overpriced, and the gtx460 tops current price/perf charts. But I was
itching to upgrade, saw that this particular gtx465 was unlockable & had a
good cooler, and bought. It does use more power and generate more heat than
my 4870, but otherwise I have no complaints.

If you have more patience than I did, refreshes of the nvidia & ATI cards
should be announced in coming months, and ATI cards are way overdue for a
large pricecut by the holiday season.

rms

Zank Frappa
August 15th 10, 04:43 AM
Legion wrote:
> Dan Lingman wrote:
>>Legion > wrote
>>> Zank Frappa > wrote:
>>>>Legion wrote:
>>>>> "rms" wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card,
>>>>>>> take a gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Down to $240 now on newegg!
>>>>>
>>>>> 349.99 plus 7.87 shipping..on Newegg.
>>>>
>>>>http://imgur.com/5OuY5.png
>>>
>>> What did you do, Photoshop that image?
>>> That is just a picture..show me the web site.
>>> Newegg web site states the price I quoted above.
>>>
>>> Legion
>>>
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127504
>>&cm_re=msi_N465gtx-_-14-127-504-_-Product
>>
>>Showing 259.99 (234.99 after 25$ rebate), 7.87 shipping right now.
>>
>>Dan.
>
> That is for a GTX465, not a 470 you dumbkoff.

You're not very bright, are you?

Zank Frappa
August 15th 10, 04:58 AM
Legion wrote:
> "rms" wrote:
>
>>>>>>>> If you're currently looking at a gtx470/radeon5870 class card,
>>>>>>>> take a gander at the MSI N465GTX Twin Frozr II Golden Edition.
>
> You started this thread by talking about the 470, now your on about
> your great 465 (which sucks compared tp the 470.)
>
> Legion

Yeah, it's totally his fault that you have zero comprehension skills.

Tom Lake
August 15th 10, 11:20 AM
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127504
>>&cm_re=msi_N465gtx-_-14-127-504-_-Product
>>
>>Showing 259.99 (234.99 after 25$ rebate), 7.87 shipping right now.
>>
>>Dan.
>
> That is for a GTX465, not a 470 you dumbkoff.

Yes but some 465s can be flashed with
a 470 BIOS and run just about as fast as a native 470.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253063

Tom Lake

John Lewis
August 15th 10, 11:12 PM
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 06:20:11 -0400, "Tom Lake" >
wrote:

>
>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127504
>>>&cm_re=msi_N465gtx-_-14-127-504-_-Product
>>>
>>>Showing 259.99 (234.99 after 25$ rebate), 7.87 shipping right now.
>>>
>>>Dan.
>>
>> That is for a GTX465, not a 470 you dumbkoff.
>
>Yes but some 465s can be flashed with
>a 470 BIOS and run just about as fast as a native 470.
>
>http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253063
>
>Tom Lake
>
>
There is a probable reason why the 465 is a 465 and not a 470. Try
running Furmark 'Extreme Burning Mode" on a 465 BIOS-flashed to 470.
Check for graphics artifacts or driver hangs.. You might get
lucky.... BTW, a genunine 470 (from a reputable manufacturer like
eBGA) works flawlessly with Furmark.

DISCLAIMER: You run Furmark at your own risk; it is very wise to have
a "llifetime-guarantee" on the card !! Graphics-card voltage
regulators with inadequate heat-sinking have been known to fry when
running Furmark 'Extreme-burning' mode. Running this mode
with overclocks beyond the factory settings is also not recommended.

I builld high-performance computers for engineering use and have used
Furmak 1.8.2 Extreme mode to 'burn-in strees-test' eVGA 470 (SC
version) cards destined for massively-parallel processing (using
CUDA). Zero graphics problems. No temperature-related performance
throttling. Auto fan-control on the 470 card stabilizes the GPU
core-temp at 90 degrees C. For intake air ~ 25 degress C, fan speed
settles to ~ 75-80% max.

John Lewis

rms[_4_]
August 16th 10, 04:02 AM
> There is a probable reason why the 465 is a 465 and not a 470. Try
> running Furmark 'Extreme Burning Mode" on a 465 BIOS-flashed to 470.

Sure. As I said before, this particular model 465 is functionally
identical to a 470, and overclocks beyond 470 specs, maxing out at 80C in
MSI's Kombuster (a furmark clone), and in OCCT gpu tests with no errors.
Why would MSI sell a 465 with the extra ram of a 470, and a fancy heatsink,
that is the question to ask. It's a very odd product.

rms

noman
August 16th 10, 09:30 PM
Legion wrote:

> You started this thread by talking about the 470, now your on about
> your great 465 (which sucks compared tp the 470.)

He mentioned cards that can be unlocked quite easily to GTX 470. Doing that
though requires a BIOS flash, which has its risks.

> I am in the marked for 2 470's but I got to check warrenties very
> carefully.
>
> My 8800GTX SC is still under 100% warrenty from BFG. Tobad they are
> not making vid cards any longer.

Actually they have stopped honoring the warranties recently. If you send a
defective card to BFG, they will mail it back to you unrepaired.

By the way, I'd recommend getting two 1GB GTX 460s. The power draw is much
less, and consequently your PC room won't heat up as much. They perform quite
good as well in SLI.
--
Noman

noman
August 17th 10, 09:56 PM
Legion wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:30:29 +0000 (UTC), "noman"
> > wrote:
>
> >
> > Actually they have stopped honoring the warranties recently. If you send a
> > defective card to BFG, they will mail it back to you unrepaired.
> >
>
> Had my 3 year old 8800GTX OC replaced about 1 month ago by BFG..no
> problems.
> They say they will continue to honor warrenties.
>
> Did you get a RMI (forgot the request name)from them with a number
> before you sent the card back?

It's a more recent development. They won't give you a replacement or repair
the card now.
--
Noman