PDA

View Full Version : Asus ENGTS250 got 2 power socket??

.YC
April 18th 09, 11:03 AM
Hi I bought a Asus ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3, but the card i get is different
from whant i see on internet. My Asus GTS250 come with 2 power socket. So am
i getting a reall 250 or what?

Can someone clarify this?
Thanks
YC

First of One[_2_]
April 21st 09, 05:05 AM
GTS250 1GB cards have a new, shorter PCB design with one power connector.
GTS250 512MB cards are typically just rebadged 9800GTX+ cards, so they have
two power connectors. See CNet's shopping page listing both Asus 1GB and
512MB cards:
http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-video-cards/?filter=1000036_3809194_500247_116577_&tag=mncol;dir2

Anandtech explains this in detail:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523

".YC" > wrote in message
> Hi I bought a Asus ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3, but the card i get is
> different from whant i see on internet. My Asus GTS250 come with 2 power
> socket. So am i getting a reall 250 or what?
>
> Can someone clarify this?
> Thanks
> YC

.YC
April 21st 09, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info. So GTS250 512MB chip is different from 1gb version and
eat more power juice? Can i just use one power connector instead of 2?

Regards
YC

"First of One" > wrote in message
> GTS250 1GB cards have a new, shorter PCB design with one power connector.
> GTS250 512MB cards are typically just rebadged 9800GTX+ cards, so they
> have two power connectors. See CNet's shopping page listing both Asus 1GB
> and 512MB cards:
> http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-video-cards/?filter=1000036_3809194_500247_116577_&tag=mncol;dir2
>
> Anandtech explains this in detail:
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523

> ".YC" > wrote in message
>> Hi I bought a Asus ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3, but the card i get is
>> different from whant i see on internet. My Asus GTS250 come with 2 power
>> socket. So am i getting a reall 250 or what?
>>
>> Can someone clarify this?
>> Thanks
>> YC

First of One[_2_]
April 21st 09, 11:45 PM
Nope. The GPU is identical among the 512MB and 1GB versions of GTS250, and
9800GTX+. The 9800GTX+ has two power connectors because its PCB was carried
over from the 65nm 9800GTX_.

Because of the carry-over, the PCB is probably designed to not fully
function if only one connector is plugged in.

".YC" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the info. So GTS250 512MB chip is different from 1gb version
> and eat more power juice? Can i just use one power connector instead of 2?
>
> Regards
> YC
>
> "First of One" > wrote in message
>> GTS250 1GB cards have a new, shorter PCB design with one power connector.
>> GTS250 512MB cards are typically just rebadged 9800GTX+ cards, so they
>> have two power connectors. See CNet's shopping page listing both Asus 1GB
>> and 512MB cards:
>> http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-video-cards/?filter=1000036_3809194_500247_116577_&tag=mncol;dir2
>>
>> Anandtech explains this in detail:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>
>> ".YC" > wrote in message
>>> Hi I bought a Asus ENGTS250 DK/HTDI/512MD3, but the card i get is
>>> different from whant i see on internet. My Asus GTS250 come with 2 power
>>> socket. So am i getting a reall 250 or what?
>>>
>>> Can someone clarify this?
>>> Thanks
>>> YC

.YC
April 22nd 09, 04:27 PM
Thank you very much for the info, now all my doubt cleared. The sad matter
is a week after i bought this 512mb version the other shop selling 1gb
version cheaper than my zz

"First of One" > wrote in message
> Nope. The GPU is identical among the 512MB and 1GB versions of GTS250, and
> 9800GTX+. The 9800GTX+ has two power connectors because its PCB was
> carried over from the 65nm 9800GTX_.
>
> Because of the carry-over, the PCB is probably designed to not fully
> function if only one connector is plugged in.

> ".YC" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info. So GTS250 512MB chip is different from 1gb version
>> and eat more power juice? Can i just use one power connector instead of
>> 2?
>>
>> Regards
>> YC
>>
>> "First of One" > wrote in message
>>> GTS250 1GB cards have a new, shorter PCB design with one power
>>> connector. GTS250 512MB cards are typically just rebadged 9800GTX+
>>> cards, so they have two power connectors. See CNet's shopping page
>>> listing both Asus 1GB and 512MB cards:
>>> http://shopper.cnet.com/buy-video-cards/?filter=1000036_3809194_500247_116577_&tag=mncol;dir2
>>>
>>> Anandtech explains this in detail:
>>> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523
>>>
>>> --
>>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

First of One[_2_]
April 22nd 09, 11:30 PM
In the week it took for a GTX285 to be shipped to me, its price dropped by
$40... This is the "bleed" part of bleeding edge.