PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Non-reference GTX260 VGA Card With 1792 MB Memory

First of One[_2_]
March 14th 09, 04:36 PM
Galaxy Non-reference GTX260 VGA Card With 1792 MB Memory:
http://en.expreview.com/2009/03/14/exclusive-galaxy-non-reference-gtx260-vga-card-with-1792mb-memory.html

44% performance improvement in World in Conflict at 1920x1200 16x CSAA over
the 896 MB card.

Augustus
March 14th 09, 09:17 PM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> Galaxy Non-reference GTX260 VGA Card With 1792 MB Memory:
> http://en.expreview.com/2009/03/14/exclusive-galaxy-non-reference-gtx260-vga-card-with-1792mb-memory.html
>
> 44% performance improvement in World in Conflict at 1920x1200 16x CSAA
> over the 896 MB card.

I don't really understand why Galaxy would do this with the GTX 260 series
card though, and not the 280 series. If I was gaming newer 3D title at
1920x1080 I would have sprung for the standard GTX280. I suspect a reference
896 Mb GTX 280 would ouperform a 1792Mb GTX 260, and they can be had for
less than $325 with the right deal at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365

First of One[_2_]
March 15th 09, 11:41 PM
A GTX 280 is $325. A GTX 260 currently sells for $180. The gap is pretty
wide. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187050

The slower Samsung 1.0 ns RAM employed by the 260 is probably much cheaper
than the Hynix 0.8 ns RAM needed for the 280. Thus, a 1.7 GB 280 may be cost
prohibitive. Recall the Geforce 3 days, when the Ti500 shipped with 64 MB,
while the slower Ti200 started appearing with 128 MB.

news:[email protected]