PDA

View Full Version : Capturing video with Geforce 9800 series?


Slattery \(H0llyw00d H0gan\)
February 17th 09, 04:10 AM
Am I able to use my GeForce 9800 GTX+ card to capture VHS video and store it
on my HDD for later transfer to DVD?

Augustus
February 17th 09, 05:50 AM
"Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan)" > wrote in message
...
> Am I able to use my GeForce 9800 GTX+ card to capture VHS video and store
> it on my HDD for later transfer to DVD?

It's not designed as a video capture card, so no. I'd pick up a USB capture
device for $40 or so...there are lots to choose from and I've not read the
reviews. This is one of many...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306013

First of One[_2_]
February 17th 09, 06:03 AM
If your card is advertised with VIVO capabilities, then yes. Just use any
WDM-compliant capture application, such as VirtualVCR:
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ . The L-R audio lines from the VCR plug
separately into the line-in jack on your sound card (typically you'll need
an RCA-to-3.5mm Y-cable).

Bear in mind commercial VHS films have Macrovision copy-protection, so you
may need a video stabilizer box between the VCR and the card. Self-recorded
tapes obviously won't need it.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Slattery (H0llyw00d H0gan)" > wrote in message
...
> Am I able to use my GeForce 9800 GTX+ card to capture VHS video and store
> it on my HDD for later transfer to DVD?

Augustus
February 17th 09, 07:09 AM
"First of One" > wrote in message
...
> If your card is advertised with VIVO capabilities, then yes. Just use any
> WDM-compliant capture application, such as VirtualVCR:
> http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ . The L-R audio lines from the VCR plug
> separately into the line-in jack on your sound card (typically you'll need
> an RCA-to-3.5mm Y-cable).

I don't think there are any 9800 or 8800 series cards that actually do
VIVO......can you point me to one?

First of One[_2_]
February 17th 09, 07:57 AM
Good point. A few minutes on Google and it looks like no manufacturer has
deviated from the reference design by putting a VIVO chip on the PCB. Oh
well.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Augustus" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "First of One" > wrote in message
> ...
>> If your card is advertised with VIVO capabilities, then yes. Just use any
>> WDM-compliant capture application, such as VirtualVCR:
>> http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/ . The L-R audio lines from the VCR
>> plug separately into the line-in jack on your sound card (typically
>> you'll need an RCA-to-3.5mm Y-cable).
>
> I don't think there are any 9800 or 8800 series cards that actually do
> VIVO......can you point me to one?
>

Augustus
February 17th 09, 08:36 PM
"First of One" > wrote in message
...
> Good point. A few minutes on Google and it looks like no manufacturer has
> deviated from the reference design by putting a VIVO chip on the PCB. Oh
> well.

I just upgraded to an eVGA GTX 260 SSC 896Mb unit and it won't do it either.
None of the GTX 280's I looked at when upgrading did. I think it's largely
an add-on card or dongle thing now.