PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my NVIDIA system tray back in my Windows XP?

Ant
November 10th 08, 11:43 AM
Hi.

Rarely, my explorer.exe will crash and relaunch. However, I lose my
NVIDIA system tray icon. Is there a way to get the icon back without
rebooting or logging off/on? I tried NVIDIA's control panel -> View menu
-> "Show Notification Tray Icon" option, but that didn't work. :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"In every enemy that is an ant, behold an elephant." --Turkish
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

Dastardly Dan
November 12th 08, 05:08 PM
"Ant" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi.
>
> Rarely, my explorer.exe will crash and relaunch. However, I lose my NVIDIA
> system tray icon. Is there a way to get the icon back without rebooting or
> logging off/on? I tried NVIDIA's control panel -> View menu -> "Show
> Notification Tray Icon" option, but that didn't work. :(
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

It's probably the Nvidia tray applet and something else that is loaded that
is causing explorer to crash for some reason. Sort that out and you won't
need to find a way to manually start it. Type msconfig in the run box and
disable/enable items under the startup tab one at a time until explorer
stops crashing. Then you will have the culprit. Unless it is being caused by
a hardware issue, like flaky ram.

Ant
November 12th 08, 05:21 PM
On 11/12/2008 8:08 AM PT, Dastardly Dan typed:

>> Rarely, my explorer.exe will crash and relaunch. However, I lose my
>> NVIDIA system tray icon. Is there a way to get the icon back without
>> rebooting or logging off/on? I tried NVIDIA's control panel -> View
>> menu -> "Show Notification Tray Icon" option, but that didn't work. :(
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> It's probably the Nvidia tray applet and something else that is loaded
> that is causing explorer to crash for some reason. Sort that out and you
> won't need to find a way to manually start it. Type msconfig in the run
> box and disable/enable items under the startup tab one at a time until
> explorer stops crashing. Then you will have the culprit. Unless it is
> being caused by a hardware issue, like flaky ram.

It is not from NVIDIA. I just want to reshow the icon. That's all.
--
"I don't believe in evil, I believe only in horror. In nature there is
no evil, only an abundance of horror: the plagues and the blights and
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

Ant
November 14th 08, 03:19 AM
Does anyone know what process EXE file runs this system tray icon?

--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )