PDA

View Full Version : GTX280OC2 strange behavior

Fitz[_2_]
November 6th 08, 11:26 PM
I have a BFG 280 OC 2 (650MHz vs 602MHz core clock). At the Desktop, if
I open the NVidia control panel, System Information, the clock speed
reports as 301MHz. Initially, I thought that number would be doubled
(DDR) for a clock speed of 602MHz (which is the standard edition 280).
Since I had paid the extra for the OC version, I wanted to verify those
numbers before starting an RMA. I downloaded GPU-Z and found that if I
opened any application (even just a web page), the clock speed went to
650MHz. Closing the app made the reported speed go from 650 back down to
300. Has anyone else noticed the 200 series card stepping the core clock
based on usage? The Nvidia control panel will also report an increased
speed (from 300 to 648) if I open an app, close it and then check System
Info- and it will show it stepping back down to 301MHz. Tech support at
BFG was surprised to hear of the card doing this, and really didn't know
why. Could it be a power saving function of the motherboard (ASUS
Maximus II Formula)?

System:
Intel Q9550 oc'ed to Q9650 (3.0GHz) w/Zalman CPNS9700
ASUS Maximus II Formula motherboard
8 GB OCZ Reaper 1066 running at 1127
BFG GTX280OC2
2 DVD-RW
Crystal Fontz LCD
3 additional cooling fans
Corsair HX620 PS

Fitz

--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well

Augustus[_3_]
November 7th 08, 12:13 AM
"Fitz" > wrote in message
>I have a BFG 280 OC 2 (650MHz vs 602MHz core clock). At the Desktop, if I
>open the NVidia control panel, System Information, the clock speed reports
>as 301MHz. Initially, I thought that number would be doubled (DDR) for a
>clock speed of 602MHz (which is the standard edition 280). Since I had paid
>the extra for the OC version, I wanted to verify those numbers before
>starting an RMA. I downloaded GPU-Z and found that if I opened any
>application (even just a web page), the clock speed went to 650MHz. Closing
>the app made the reported speed go from 650 back down to 300. Has anyone
>else noticed the 200 series card stepping the core clock based on usage?
>The Nvidia control panel will also report an increased speed (from 300 to
>648) if I open an app, close it and then check System Info- and it will
>show it stepping back down to 301MHz. Tech support at BFG was surprised to
>hear of the card doing this, and really didn't know why. Could it be a
>power saving function of the motherboard (ASUS Maximus II Formula)?

This is 100% completely normal behaviour.....the GPU ramps up to 650Mhz and
stays there in 3D Operation only.....system bootup or opening other apps
will kick the GPU momentarily up until it sees there's no call for 3D
operation, and then it ramps down to normal 2D mode. My 8800GT does the same
thing, as does my 9600GT as well as numerous other. It's not a flaw, it's
designed to function this way.

Fitz[_2_]
November 7th 08, 01:12 AM
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

Fitz

--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well
But you trash the place and rent it out
Like it's some cheap motel - The Badlees

Dirk Wolfgang Glomp
November 7th 08, 09:51 AM
Am Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:12:31 -0900 schrieb Fitz:

Can you can you help me with a simple vesa-test, i want to know
if a GTX280 provide a vesa-bios?

A vesa-test is very simple, please read my short description how to do that
in my posting to "GTS" in the thread: "8800GTS and 3D glasses" 06.11.2008
06.27.36

Dirk