PDA

View Full Version : Replace 8800 GTS w/ 260 Maxcore?

Fitz[_2_]
October 1st 08, 06:49 PM
Considering upgrading my 8800 GTS to a 280 OCX Maxcore, but haven't
found any reviews comparing the two. The 8800 would go to my wifes
machine and her 8600 would replace a 6600 in another, so it's an upgrade
all around - (not wasted money), but would I see a significant increase
in framerates? Will my processor hold back potential improvement?
COD4, Crysis, TF2 and Photoshop.

AMD 5200
Asus M2N-E
4 GB Corsair PC800
Corsair HX620 power supply
Vista 64
plenty of cooling, couple other devices

Thanks,
Fitz
--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well

Fitz[_2_]
October 2nd 08, 12:16 AM
Fitz wrote:
> Considering upgrading my 8800 GTS to a 280 OCX Maxcore, but haven't
> found any reviews comparing the two. The 8800 would go to my wifes
> machine and her 8600 would replace a 6600 in another, so it's an upgrade
> all around - (not wasted money), but would I see a significant increase
> in framerates? Will my processor hold back potential improvement?
> COD4, Crysis, TF2 and Photoshop.
>
> AMD 5200
> Asus M2N-E
> 4 GB Corsair PC800
> Corsair HX620 power supply
> Vista 64
> plenty of cooling, couple other devices
>
> Thanks,
> Fitz

Correction: It would be a 260 OCX Maxcore.

--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well
But you trash the place and rent it out
Like it's some cheap motel - The Badlees

Augustus
October 2nd 08, 04:08 AM
"Fitz" > wrote in message
> Fitz wrote:
>> Considering upgrading my 8800 GTS to a 280 OCX Maxcore, but haven't found
>> any reviews comparing the two. The 8800 would go to my wifes machine and
>> her 8600 would replace a 6600 in another, so it's an upgrade all around -
>> (not wasted money), but would I see a significant increase in framerates?
>> Will my processor hold back potential improvement?
>> COD4, Crysis, TF2 and Photoshop.

Whether it's a 512Mb G92 8800GTS or the older slower 320/640Mb version, a
GTX 260 is vastly faster, and the more demanding the game and the higher the
res, the greater the difference. Would I switch? Yes.Will your processor
limit max potential of that GTX 260? Yes, but not a vast amount. An AMD
5200+ is not an ideal choice, but you go with what you've got.