PDA

View Full Version : 3800+ X2 Runs Internet Explorer 7, 4800+ X2 Locks Up.

Larry Lindstrom
April 16th 08, 10:01 PM
Hi Folks:

First time poster, long time lurker.

The 3800 is an HP machine, XP Media Center. It runs
Internet Explorer 7 just fine. It also runs an online video
game I like.

Now to the 4800. After installing XP home edition I loaded
the device drivers from the CD supplied by Gigabyte. These
included the drivers for the onboard Realtek NIC. Then I
install the XP updates, oops, have to register first, no problem.

During the XP updates a window pops up and asks if I want the
Internet Explorer update, I say OK. I didn't notice this on
previous attempts, perhaps it timed out.

When the updates are finished, I click on the IE icon, and
it opens a blank window. The window is non-responsive to the
cursor, which is the "I" shape. The Task Manager shows no tasks
are active, and clicking on the red "X" in the upper right corner
doesn't close the window. The client area of the window is white,
if I drag other windows over it they leave their trace in the
area between the client area and the window's title bar. I'm not
looking at it right now, but I believe they also left their trace
in the Internet Explorer's frame.

Internet Explorer is shown as a process in the Task Manager,
selecting it and hitting end process will stop it.

Here is another hint. Last night I had the new system running,
an online game, Delta Force 2. I could start the game, get online
and move through several windows, but as soon as I selected a match
to join, the game would lock up. It would do this consistently.

I can live with Internet Explorer 6, and it's a bummer not being
able to play my game. But there is something wrong with my shiny
new PC.

The NIC seems to be working OK, it did load those 92 XP updates.

Is it time to load the latest BIOS?

Here is a little background.

My business partner loaned me the 3800, a HP Media
Center PC, about a year and a half ago to develop code for a
project. It was a big improvement on the dual processor
Pentium 3/600 I was working on.

These are the parts I assembled last week.

AMD Athlon 4800+ X2
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
Crucial 2 GB DDR2 6400UNBUFF
Antec 500 Watts
Some barely used name brand IDE drive I purchased a year
ago.
An NEC DVD burner purchased two years ago.

I don't have the stepping on the processor, that info is
under the thermal grease behind a most impressive looking
cooling apparatus. But I purchased it from Fry's last week,
so I'm guessing it's current.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Larry

Ed Light
April 17th 08, 07:11 AM
You might try alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Skipai Otter[_2_]
April 17th 08, 04:44 PM
"Larry Lindstrom" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Folks:
>
> First time poster, long time lurker.
>
> The 3800 is an HP machine, XP Media Center. It runs
> Internet Explorer 7 just fine. It also runs an online video
> game I like.
>
> Now to the 4800. After installing XP home edition I loaded
> the device drivers from the CD supplied by Gigabyte. These
> included the drivers for the onboard Realtek NIC. Then I
> install the XP updates, oops, have to register first, no problem.

Have you tried installing updated drivers from the internet before upgrading
PC?

1. Install XP SP2
2. Install chipset drivers
3. Install updates
4. Install graphics and whatever else you have.

Way I installed my X2 6000+ system.

> During the XP updates a window pops up and asks if I want the
> Internet Explorer update, I say OK. I didn't notice this on
> previous attempts, perhaps it timed out.
>
> When the updates are finished, I click on the IE icon, and
> it opens a blank window. The window is non-responsive to the
> cursor, which is the "I" shape. The Task Manager shows no tasks
> are active, and clicking on the red "X" in the upper right corner
> doesn't close the window. The client area of the window is white,
> if I drag other windows over it they leave their trace in the
> area between the client area and the window's title bar. I'm not
> looking at it right now, but I believe they also left their trace
> in the Internet Explorer's frame.
>
> Internet Explorer is shown as a process in the Task Manager,
> selecting it and hitting end process will stop it.
>
> Here is another hint. Last night I had the new system running,
> an online game, Delta Force 2. I could start the game, get online
> and move through several windows, but as soon as I selected a match
> to join, the game would lock up. It would do this consistently.
>
> I can live with Internet Explorer 6, and it's a bummer not being
> able to play my game. But there is something wrong with my shiny
> new PC.
>
> The NIC seems to be working OK, it did load those 92 XP updates.
>
> Is it time to load the latest BIOS?

Could try and see if that fixes it. If it's Nforce board, latest drivers
may fix that as well.

> Here is a little background.
>
> My business partner loaned me the 3800, a HP Media
> Center PC, about a year and a half ago to develop code for a
> project. It was a big improvement on the dual processor
> Pentium 3/600 I was working on.
>
> These are the parts I assembled last week.
>
> AMD Athlon 4800+ X2
> Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
> Crucial 2 GB DDR2 6400UNBUFF
> Antec 500 Watts
> Some barely used name brand IDE drive I purchased a year
> ago.
> An NEC DVD burner purchased two years ago.
>
> I don't have the stepping on the processor, that info is
> under the thermal grease behind a most impressive looking
> cooling apparatus. But I purchased it from Fry's last week,
> so I'm guessing it's current.
>
> I appreciate any advice.

AMD CPU ID program should give that information.

--
Skipai