PDA

View Full Version : Best socket A mobo

Lee M.
April 10th 08, 10:51 PM
I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon 2700+
CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad caps and
while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot, especially on a
warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read that this is a symptom
of failing caps so I'm looking for a replacement/backup. Would like to
stick with the nForce2 chipset.

I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any brands
of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible than most)
to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my impression is
that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than some others.
Plus they are out of business.

Any thoughts?

Bob M
April 10th 08, 11:09 PM
Lee M. wrote:
> I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon 2700+
> CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad caps and
> while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot, especially on a
> warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read that this is a symptom
> of failing caps so I'm looking for a replacement/backup. Would like to
> stick with the nForce2 chipset.
>
> I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any brands
> of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible than most)
> to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my impression is
> that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than some others.
> Plus they are out of business.
>
> Any thoughts?

I am an Epox guy also. I still have an 8RDA3+ going strong in a backup
system. I really don't think Epox had any more or less failing caps than
anyone else. Have you tried Ebay? I know Epox is out of business but
some of their employees started a new company called Supox. My Epox
boards are so reliable that I haven't had to purchase a new board yet.
Knock on wood.

Bob

Wes Newell
April 11th 08, 12:07 AM
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:51:01 -0400, Lee M. wrote:

> I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon
> 2700+ CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad
> caps and while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot,
> especially on a warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read
> that this is a symptom of failing caps so I'm looking for a
> replacement/backup. Would like to stick with the nForce2 chipset.
>
> I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any
> brands of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible
> than most) to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my
> impression is that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than
> some others. Plus they are out of business.
>
> Any thoughts?

Don't waste your time (or money) with socket A. I just bought a couple of
AM2+ (supports new quad core Phenoms) MB's at Fry's for $59.99 each. And
that included dual core X2 4200+ 65W cpu's. So, it will be at least twice
as fast as any XP cpu, and gives you an upgrade path to boot. Today I
bought 2GB of DDR2 PC6400 ram for it for $20 after rebate. And they have
onboard video (Nvidia Geforce 6100/430 chipset).

Other thoughts. Find a $10 socket A MB on ebay.

Lee M.
April 11th 08, 12:33 AM
"Wes Newell" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:51:01 -0400, Lee M. wrote:
>
>> I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon
>> 2700+ CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad
>> caps and while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot,
>> especially on a warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read
>> that this is a symptom of failing caps so I'm looking for a
>> replacement/backup. Would like to stick with the nForce2 chipset.
>>
>> I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any
>> brands of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible
>> than most) to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my
>> impression is that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than
>> some others. Plus they are out of business.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Don't waste your time (or money) with socket A. I just bought a couple of
> AM2+ (supports new quad core Phenoms) MB's at Fry's for $59.99 each. And
> that included dual core X2 4200+ 65W cpu's. So, it will be at least twice
> as fast as any XP cpu, and gives you an upgrade path to boot. Today I
> bought 2GB of DDR2 PC6400 ram for it for $20 after rebate. And they have
> onboard video (Nvidia Geforce 6100/430 chipset).
>
> Other thoughts. Find a $10 socket A MB on ebay.
>
> --

I plan to buy used on Ebay which is where I got the 8RDA3+. Going to AM2
will require me to get new memory and video card plus processor. Might was
well just buy a Dell or HP box and not have to worry about compatibility
issues.

Lee M.
April 11th 08, 12:35 AM
"Bob M" > wrote in message
> Lee M. wrote:
>> I am perfectly happy with the performance of my Epox 8RDA3+ and Athlon
>> 2700+
>> CPU with WinXP SP2 and 1.2GB RAM. I had an 8RDA+ die due to bad caps and
>> while my 8RDA3+ runs fine, it occasionally fails to boot, especially on a
>> warm start, until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I've read that this is a
>> symptom
>> of failing caps so I'm looking for a replacement/backup. Would like to
>> stick with the nForce2 chipset.
>>
>> I want to stick with a major brand (Abit, ASUS, etc.) Are there any
>> brands
>> of socket A mobos that weren't susceptible (or less susceptible than
>> most)
>> to the bad cap problem? I've always been an Epox guy but my impression
>> is
>> that Epox boards may have had more capacitor problems than some others.
>> Plus they are out of business.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I am an Epox guy also. I still have an 8RDA3+ going strong in a backup
> system. I really don't think Epox had any more or less failing caps than
> anyone else. Have you tried Ebay? I know Epox is out of business but some
> of their employees started a new company called Supox. My Epox boards are
> so reliable that I haven't had to purchase a new board yet. Knock on wood.
>
> Bob

I got the 8RDA3+ on Ebay and there are a couple there right now. May buy
one as a backup. My current 2nd box is an 8KHA+ which I bought new in about
2001 or 2002. Still runs fine although I can see that some of caps are
bulging.