PDA

View Full Version : 7300GT Sonic DVI to HDMI on Samsung R8

April 10th 08, 12:37 AM
gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
these http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php

also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.

pls advise.

gfx - http://www.xpertvision.com/main/vgapro.php?id=26#spec
TV - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=tftlcd&model_cd=LE32R88BDX/XEU
HDMI/DVI Cable - http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
Audio cable - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130895

Augustus
April 10th 08, 12:51 AM
> wrote in message
> gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
> requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
> these http://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
>
> also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.

Monitor *.inf files installed from R8 CD?

April 10th 08, 12:36 PM
On 10 Apr, 00:51, "Augustus" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
> > requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
> > thesehttp://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
>
> > also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.
>
> Monitor *.inf files installed from R8 CD?

no. can i download these inf files off their website?

April 10th 08, 12:56 PM
On 10 Apr, 00:51, "Augustus" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
> > requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
> > thesehttp://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
>
> > also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.
>
> Monitor *.inf files installed from R8 CD?

ok done it. resolution is set to samsung's requirements 1360*768 but
still doesn't look right.
if i connect via vga cable, it looks perfect.

still no sound when using the stereo plug cable.

Augustus
April 10th 08, 02:41 PM
> wrote in message
> On 10 Apr, 00:51, "Augustus" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
>> > requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
>> > thesehttp://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
>>
>> > also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.
>>
>> Monitor *.inf files installed from R8 CD?
>
> ok done it. resolution is set to samsung's requirements 1360*768 but
> still doesn't look right.
> if i connect via vga cable, it looks perfect.

Try a different dongle or use VGA. Can't comment on the sound issues given
no other info than in the original post.

Paul
April 11th 08, 12:14 AM
wrote:
> On 10 Apr, 00:51, "Augustus" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> gfx card doesn't seem to be able to meet the Samsung R8 resolution
>>> requirement of 1360x768 when connecting to HDMI via DVI using one of
>>> thesehttp://ukhdmi.com/hdmi-dvi-n-premium.php
>>> also no sound when connecting using 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.
>> Monitor *.inf files installed from R8 CD?
>
> ok done it. resolution is set to samsung's requirements 1360*768 but
> still doesn't look right.
> if i connect via vga cable, it looks perfect.
>
> still no sound when using the stereo plug cable.

It really depends on how the Samsung handles the
resolution issues.

The R8 is 1366x768 native resolution. That is how
many pixels it offers. When a resolution does not
match those dimensions, the options for the monitor,
are to resample the image, to fit the screen,
or introduce black bars, to fill any areas not used.

The problem with 1366x768, in terms of computer usage,
is the 1366 number is not divisible by 8. Some video
cards have the restriction that the horizontal resolution
must be divisible by 8. (Vertical has the restriction
that it must be divisible by 2, as far as I know.)

So the choice of Samsung, to offer 1360x768, seems
tailor-made to solve this problem. Ideally, they
should not resample the image, and just mask off
6 of the pixels horizontally instead.

The image might look worse, if they tried to resample
1360 to fit a width of 1366. That could lead to an
aliasing effect that might be most visible with text
displays.

Now, since Samsung has chosen to "advertise" the 1360
number, it is unclear to me whether attempting to find
a technical solution that delivers 1366 horizontal, would
improve your picture or not.

There is a comment in the second link, as to what options
may be available, in terms of divisible by 8 or divisible by 1
resolution adjustment.

http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewforum.php?f=7 (powerstrip faqs)

"Horizontal timing and pixel-perfect resolutions"
http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?t=20

This page on the Nvidia site, mentions the use of an external
TMDS transmitter chip, sitting beside the GPU, to deliver the
ability to adjust the timing. This article does not address
the capabilities of later cards, such as the 7300GT. Checking
for the advanced timing capability, would be one way to try
it out. (Also, this info is for the old control panel, and
the new one may present the information with entirely different
dialog boxes.)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/advanced_timings.html

The database here, says the 7300GT uses the G73 GPU, so it is
not an "NV3x" chip.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

This "advanced timing" nonsense, is only necessary if you want
to try values other than 1360, to see if they are sharper in
appearance.

Paul