PDA

View Full Version : 100 percent CPU use on RDP client

PureFox
April 9th 08, 09:40 PM
Hi,

I'am running a application via remote desktop on a server. There is an
agenda applicatrion running that takes 100% cpu of the client when
dragging the appointments from one day/time to another. The window is
walking far behind. Making the window smaller speeds things up. It looks
like the videocard is consuming all the CPU power of the client. The
server is running smooth no bottle necks.

Client:
AMD Athlon 1800+
512Mb RAM
nvidia AGP FX 5200 (latest driver)
screen 1650x1050
1Gb nic

--

Groetjes/
_______/Rein.

http://www.reindejong.nl

Augustus
April 10th 08, 12:16 AM
"PureFox" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'am running a application via remote desktop on a server. There is an
> agenda applicatrion running that takes 100% cpu of the client when
> dragging the appointments from one day/time to another. The window is
> walking far behind. Making the window smaller speeds things up. It looks
> like the videocard is consuming all the CPU power of the client. The
> server is running smooth no bottle necks.
>
> Client:
> AMD Athlon 1800+
> 512Mb RAM
> nvidia AGP FX 5200 (latest driver)
> screen 1650x1050
> 1Gb nic

Remote desktop within the local WAN or RD through VPN to outside the domain?
Anyway, it's not the videocard that's the issue here. Even the nastiest 5
year bottom end corporate Dell boxes with integrated video will do RD
sessions without video redraw issues. Any process eating 100% of the client
CPU will slow RD to a crawl. That's the issue. What's the ping on the client
from the server?

PureFox
April 10th 08, 09:40 AM
Augustus schreef:
> "PureFox" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'am running a application via remote desktop on a server. There is an
>> agenda applicatrion running that takes 100% cpu of the client when
>> dragging the appointments from one day/time to another. The window is
>> walking far behind. Making the window smaller speeds things up. It looks
>> like the videocard is consuming all the CPU power of the client. The
>> server is running smooth no bottle necks.
>>
>> Client:
>> AMD Athlon 1800+
>> 512Mb RAM
>> nvidia AGP FX 5200 (latest driver)
>> screen 1650x1050px
>> 1Gb nic
>
> Remote desktop within the local WAN or RD through VPN to outside the domain?

Thanks for you replay.
No, directly on the LAN on a Gb-switch.

> Anyway, it's not the videocard that's the issue here. Even the nastiest 5
> year bottom end corporate Dell boxes with integrated video will do RD
> sessions without video redraw issues. Any process eating 100% of the client
> CPU will slow RD to a crawl. That's the issue. What's the ping on the client
> from the server?

I opened the taskmanager of the client. And then go back to the RD
showing me the CPU utilization of the client. When dragging the
appointments the CPU goes to 100% from nearly nothing.

Ping is fast.fast, very fast < 1ms

--

Groetjes/
_______/Rein.

http://www.reindejong.nl

PureFox
April 10th 08, 09:42 AM
PureFox schreef:
> Augustus schreef:
>> "PureFox" > wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'am running a application via remote desktop on a server. There is
>>> an agenda applicatrion running that takes 100% cpu of the client when
>>> dragging the appointments from one day/time to another. The window is
>>> walking far behind. Making the window smaller speeds things up. It
>>> looks like the videocard is consuming all the CPU power of the
>>> client. The server is running smooth no bottle necks.
>>>
>>> Client:
>>> AMD Athlon 1800+
>>> 512Mb RAM
>>> nvidia AGP FX 5200 (latest driver)
>>> screen 1650x1050px
>>> 1Gb nic
>>
>> Remote desktop within the local WAN or RD through VPN to outside the
>> domain?
>
> Thanks for you replay.
> No, directly on the LAN on a Gb-switch.
>
>> Anyway, it's not the videocard that's the issue here. Even the
>> nastiest 5 year bottom end corporate Dell boxes with integrated video
>> will do RD sessions without video redraw issues. Any process eating
>> 100% of the client CPU will slow RD to a crawl. That's the issue.
>> What's the ping on the client from the server?
>
> I opened the taskmanager of the client. And then go back to the RD
> showing me the CPU utilization of the client. When dragging the
> appointments the CPU goes to 100% from nearly nothing.
>
> Ping is fast.fast, very fast < 1ms

BTW. It's the taskmanager which is taking the time :(

--

Groetjes/
_______/Rein.

http://www.reindejong.nl

Augustus
April 10th 08, 02:38 PM
"PureFox" > wrote in message
> PureFox schreef:
>> Augustus schreef:

>>> Remote desktop within the local WAN or RD through VPN to outside the
>>> domain?
>>
>> Thanks for you replay.
>> No, directly on the LAN on a Gb-switch.
>>
>>> Anyway, it's not the videocard that's the issue here. Even the nastiest
>>> 5 year bottom end corporate Dell boxes with integrated video will do RD
>>> sessions without video redraw issues. Any process eating 100% of the
>>> client CPU will slow RD to a crawl. That's the issue. What's the ping on
>>> the client from the server?
>>
>> I opened the taskmanager of the client. And then go back to the RD
>> showing me the CPU utilization of the client. When dragging the
>> appointments the CPU goes to 100% from nearly nothing.
>>
>> Ping is fast.fast, very fast < 1ms
>>
> BTW. It's the taskmanager which is taking the time :(

Probably not a viable solution for you at this time, but the real advantage
of dual core shows up in situations like this.

PureFox
April 10th 08, 03:26 PM
Augustus schreef:

>> BTW. It's the taskmanager which is taking the time :(
>
> Probably not a viable solution for you at this time, but the real advantage
> of dual core shows up in situations like this.

Augustus, thanks for your attention.
It appears to be a defective VGA card. Replaced the vga card, troubles over!

--

Groetjes/

http://www.reindejong.nl