PDA

View Full Version : Which is quicker ATI HD2400Pro or Nvidia 8500GT ?

Mike[_7_]
March 9th 08, 09:25 PM
Hi,

The question is as per title, I need a new low profile PCI-E video
card for an HTPC and I want to know which is the quicker out of the
ATI HD2400Pro vs the Nvidia 8500GT ? Both cards under consideration
have 256MB of DDR2 memory fitted

I will mainly be using it to watch TV and DVDs so video speed is
important to me, and hardware HD decoding would be very nice for the
future. (Note : I don't play any games to any significant extent on
this machine).

Many thanks,

Mike

Augustus
March 9th 08, 09:39 PM
"Mike" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The question is as per title, I need a new low profile PCI-E video
> card for an HTPC and I want to know which is the quicker out of the
> ATI HD2400Pro vs the Nvidia 8500GT ? Both cards under consideration
> have 256MB of DDR2 memory fitted
>
> I will mainly be using it to watch TV and DVDs so video speed is
> important to me, and hardware HD decoding would be very nice for the
> future.

There's basicaly zero difference in speed in this regard. In HD decoding,
the AMD cards tend to be better at offloading the CPU. Here's some reading
regarding the 8600/8800 series and 2400/2600 series in their TV/DVD and HD
aspects.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047&p=1

Frank
March 9th 08, 11:31 PM
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1066&model2=856&chart=275

"Mike" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The question is as per title, I need a new low profile PCI-E video
> card for an HTPC and I want to know which is the quicker out of the
> ATI HD2400Pro vs the Nvidia 8500GT ? Both cards under consideration
> have 256MB of DDR2 memory fitted
>
> I will mainly be using it to watch TV and DVDs so video speed is
> important to me, and hardware HD decoding would be very nice for the
> future. (Note : I don't play any games to any significant extent on
> this machine).
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mike

Augustus
March 9th 08, 11:56 PM
> http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1066&model2=856&chart=275

Too bad every single benchmark listed in that review has nothing to do with
his question....they're all 3D ability and speed tests.