PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is the diff between PCI and PEG ?

johns
March 4th 08, 06:53 PM
PEG is called PCI Express Graphics, and I have 2
selections in my mobo BIOS ... PCI or PEG ???
The mobo is for Core 2 Duo, and the video card is
a BFG 8800 GT/GTO. Default setting seems to be
PCI, and I left it that way. System runs fine. I
benched Aquamark3D at 151,233 .. plenty fast.

johns

peter
March 4th 08, 07:04 PM
here is an explanation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect

in your case the "PEG' just stands for PCI EXPRESS......Whereas PCI an
handle more than Video...but so can PCI-E nowadays
The Connectors are different ...that 8800 you use is a PCI-E card and would
not fit in a PCI slot.
By setting your mobo to PCI just means that the BIOS will look for a Video
card on the PCI slot 1st and finding none will then look at the PCI-E slot.
peter

"johns" > wrote in message
> PEG is called PCI Express Graphics, and I have 2
> selections in my mobo BIOS ... PCI or PEG ???
> The mobo is for Core 2 Duo, and the video card is
> a BFG 8800 GT/GTO. Default setting seems to be
> PCI, and I left it that way. System runs fine. I
> benched Aquamark3D at 151,233 .. plenty fast.
>
> johns

johns
March 4th 08, 07:49 PM
Jargon mongers. Wonder why they just don't
call it PCI or PCIE ? Would make more sense,
and not seem to imply something weird.

Thanks.

johns

Benjamin Gawert
March 5th 08, 08:26 AM
* johns:

> PEG is called PCI Express Graphics, and I have 2
> selections in my mobo BIOS ... PCI or PEG ???

PEG (PCI Express Graphics) -> generic PCI Express 16x slot (called PEG
because only gfx cards need the 16x bandwith)

The selection in the BIOS setup is for choosing the primary display
adapter if you have more than one gfx card in your computer (with one
PEG slot you can have one PCI Express gfx card and one PCI gfx card).
That's the same like the "AGP"/"PCI" setting in the BIOS setup of
AGP-based computers which also was there for choosing the primary gfx
adapter. If you only have one gfx card this setting is irrelevant.

I wonder why someone who claimed to develop drivers for Nvidia and doing
administration of dozens of PCs for a company doesn't even know the
most basic things. But then, you're bull****ter-johns.

Benjamin

johns
March 5th 08, 07:18 PM
In my history of 10,000 mobos, I have never seen the
term PEG used in the BIOS .. until now, with this
Core 2 duo mobo. Obviously, PEG is just jargon,
and they had no valid reason to put this crap in
the BIOS .. other than they are an arrogant pack
of morons trying to impress those out there who
think jargon is the same thing as knowledge.
I see you know all about PEG. I will simply pick
up the phone, and chew Gigabyte tech-support
out, and make them change it to PCIE.

johns

Ian D
March 6th 08, 01:34 AM
"johns" > wrote in message
> In my history of 10,000 mobos, I have never seen the
> term PEG used in the BIOS .. until now, with this
> Core 2 duo mobo. Obviously, PEG is just jargon,
> and they had no valid reason to put this crap in
> the BIOS .. other than they are an arrogant pack
> of morons trying to impress those out there who
> think jargon is the same thing as knowledge.
> I see you know all about PEG. I will simply pick
> up the phone, and chew Gigabyte tech-support
> out, and make them change it to PCIE.
>
> johns

Asus also uses PEG. The choices in BIOS are PEG/PCI
and PCI/PEG. The problem is that they don't explain
the meaning of PEG on the manual page for those
settings. Maybe they thought it would be too confusing
to use PCIE/PCI.

Benjamin Gawert
March 6th 08, 03:23 PM
* johns:
> In my history of 10,000 mobos, I have never seen the
> term PEG used in the BIOS .. until now, with this
> Core 2 duo mobo. Obviously, PEG is just jargon,

Nope, ****head, it's not. PEG is an standardized term and can be found
in the PCI Express specifications.

> and they had no valid reason to put this crap in
> the BIOS .. other than they are an arrogant pack
> of morons trying to impress those out there who
> think jargon is the same thing as knowledge.

You speaking about knowledge is like a blind man speaking of colors.

> I see you know all about PEG. I will simply pick
> up the phone, and chew Gigabyte tech-support
> out, and make them change it to PCIE.

Yeah, sure. Next you tell us that you develop their BIOSes, right?

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
March 6th 08, 03:25 PM
* Ian D:

> Asus also uses PEG. The choices in BIOS are PEG/PCI
> and PCI/PEG. The problem is that they don't explain
> the meaning of PEG on the manual page for those
> settings. Maybe they thought it would be too confusing
> to use PCIE/PCI.

No. The reason for using the term "PEG" simply is because some standard
mobos support gfx only in the PEG slot and not in all PCIe slots.

Benjamin

DRS
March 6th 08, 06:03 PM
"Ian D" > wrote in message

> "johns" > wrote in message
>> In my history of 10,000 mobos, I have never seen the
>> term PEG used in the BIOS .. until now, with this
>> Core 2 duo mobo. Obviously, PEG is just jargon,
>> and they had no valid reason to put this crap in
>> the BIOS .. other than they are an arrogant pack
>> of morons trying to impress those out there who
>> think jargon is the same thing as knowledge.
>> I see you know all about PEG. I will simply pick
>> up the phone, and chew Gigabyte tech-support
>> out, and make them change it to PCIE.
>>
>> johns
>
> Asus also uses PEG. The choices in BIOS are PEG/PCI
> and PCI/PEG. The problem is that they don't explain
> the meaning of PEG on the manual page for those
> settings. Maybe they thought it would be too confusing
> to use PCIE/PCI.

Quite right. The BIOS on my 939-based ASUS motherboard refers to PEG and
it's not explained in the manual.