PDA

View Full Version : What CPU voltage fluctuation is typical?

Lee MacMillan
March 3rd 08, 11:25 PM
My Epox 8RDA+ just failed (I think due to bad caps). When I ran CPUZ, it
showed the voltage fluctuating between 1.4 and 1.6. I just installed an
Epox 8KHA+ that I used for about 5 or 6 years. CPUZ shows the voltage
fluctuating between 1.504 and 1.520. Is that typical or should I expect the
CPU voltage reading to be rock solid? Unlike on the 8RDA+, there are no
bulging or leaky caps on the 8KHA+.

Bill
March 4th 08, 01:55 AM
In article >,
says...
> My Epox 8RDA+ just failed (I think due to bad caps). When I ran CPUZ, it
> showed the voltage fluctuating between 1.4 and 1.6. I just installed an
> Epox 8KHA+ that I used for about 5 or 6 years. CPUZ shows the voltage
> fluctuating between 1.504 and 1.520. Is that typical or should I expect the
> CPU voltage reading to be rock solid? Unlike on the 8RDA+, there are no
> bulging or leaky caps on the 8KHA+.

I find +/- 5% acceptable: 5% of 1.5VDC= +/- 0.075 or
1.575VDC to 1.425VDC

There is alway some ripple component to power supply DC
voltages. The less ripple and the closer to the specified voltage
the better.

Bill

Lee M.
March 4th 08, 02:39 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article >,
> says...
>> My Epox 8RDA+ just failed (I think due to bad caps). When I ran CPUZ, it
>> showed the voltage fluctuating between 1.4 and 1.6. I just installed an
>> Epox 8KHA+ that I used for about 5 or 6 years. CPUZ shows the voltage
>> fluctuating between 1.504 and 1.520. Is that typical or should I expect
>> the
>> CPU voltage reading to be rock solid? Unlike on the 8RDA+, there are no
>> bulging or leaky caps on the 8KHA+.
>>

> I find +/- 5% acceptable: 5% of 1.5VDC= +/- 0.075 or
> 1.575VDC to 1.425VDC
>
> There is alway some ripple component to power supply DC
> voltages. The less ripple and the closer to the specified voltage
> the better.
>
> Bill

Thanks. I guess as long as it's running ok, I won't worry about it.