PDA

View Full Version : 9600GT Questions

S. Smith
February 26th 08, 11:34 PM
I see that the new nVidia 9600GT cards are out and doing high core
clock and memory clock numbers, but they also have fewer "stream
processors" than the 8800GT cards.

What does that mean? That the 9600GT cards aren't as powerful
as the 8800GT cards?

Will the 9800GT cards have the higher "stream processors"?

- Scott Smith:
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith

Augustus
February 27th 08, 03:26 AM
"S. Smith" > wrote in message

> I see that the new nVidia 9600GT cards are out and doing high core
> clock and memory clock numbers, but they also have fewer "stream
> processors" than the 8800GT cards.
>
> What does that mean? That the 9600GT cards aren't as powerful
> as the 8800GT cards?
>
> Will the 9800GT cards have the higher "stream processors"?

A 9600GT is not as fast as an 8800GT, and the greater the resolution the
more pronounced the difference. It's missing 48 shader stream processors. In
DX10 games like Crysis at 1280x1024 and above, the difference becomes even
more dramatic. A decent high performance OC MSI 8800GT 512Mb costs $216. A
decent high performance OC 9600GT is $180. That's $36 well spent. The 9800GT
cards are supposed to have 128 stream processors with somewhat higher
standard clocks than the 8800GT. I'm certain the difference in performance
even with the 9800GT vs 8800GT will be marginal given the stated clocks and
specs. I would expect it to be like the 7800GTX vs 7900GTX.