PDA

View Full Version : 9800GTX First Look

First of One[_2_]
February 26th 08, 06:50 AM
http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html

It will be interesting to see how much faster it is against the current
8800GTS 512MB. Both apparently use the G92 with 128SPs, with the 9800GTX
clocked at 673 MHz versus the 8800GTS' 650 MHz. Of course, memory speed may
make all the difference, as the design is memory bandwidth constrained.

Mr.E Solved!
February 26th 08, 08:45 AM
First of One wrote:
> http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html
>
> It will be interesting to see how much faster it is against the current
> 8800GTS 512MB. Both apparently use the G92 with 128SPs, with the 9800GTX
> clocked at 673 MHz versus the 8800GTS' 650 MHz. Of course, memory speed may
> make all the difference, as the design is memory bandwidth constrained.

'It comes with 12-layer PCB at 4.376"(H) by 10.5"(L)'

What a beast of a breadboard that is.

First of One[_2_]
February 26th 08, 11:59 AM
I certainly hope it has fast RAM. Otherwise, nVidia seems to have lengthened
the board just to accommodate the extra SLI connector. :-)

"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message
. ..
> First of One wrote:
>> http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html
>>
>> It will be interesting to see how much faster it is against the current
>> 8800GTS 512MB. Both apparently use the G92 with 128SPs, with the 9800GTX
>> clocked at 673 MHz versus the 8800GTS' 650 MHz. Of course, memory speed
>> may make all the difference, as the design is memory bandwidth
>> constrained.
>>

> 'It comes with 12-layer PCB at 4.376"(H) by 10.5"(L)'
>
> What a beast of a breadboard that is.

Man-wai Chang ToDie
February 26th 08, 02:10 PM
First of One wrote:
> http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html

There goes your USD400. :)

--
@[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2

Augustus
February 26th 08, 04:20 PM
"First of One" > wrote in message
> http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html
>
> It will be interesting to see how much faster it is against the current
> 8800GTS 512MB. Both apparently use the G92 with 128SPs, with the 9800GTX
> clocked at 673 MHz versus the 8800GTS' 650 MHz. Of course, memory speed
> may make all the difference, as the design is memory bandwidth
> constrained.

Interesting. I must say I'm a little disappointed in the "next-gen" naming
convention of this line of cards. An 8800GTX isn't just two 7800GT's
sandwiched together. And a 7800GTX isn't two 6800GT's combined. Don't know
what the 9800GTX will sell at, but if you already own an OC 8800GT or GTS, I
can't see an incentive to go out and replace it when you can stick another
8800 card in for SLI perfromance very likely close to equal to the 9800GTX.
You can, of course, SLI two 9800GTX's but not too many will need it.

Mr.E Solved!
February 26th 08, 05:17 PM
Augustus wrote:
> "First of One" > wrote in message
>> http://vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9800_GTX_Card_Photos_%26_Specs_Unveiled/5599.html
>>
>> It will be interesting to see how much faster it is against the current
>> 8800GTS 512MB. Both apparently use the G92 with 128SPs, with the 9800GTX
>> clocked at 673 MHz versus the 8800GTS' 650 MHz. Of course, memory speed
>> may make all the difference, as the design is memory bandwidth
>> constrained.
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>
> Interesting. I must say I'm a little disappointed in the "next-gen" naming
> convention of this line of cards. An 8800GTX isn't just two 7800GT's
> sandwiched together. And a 7800GTX isn't two 6800GT's combined. Don't know
> what the 9800GTX will sell at, but if you already own an OC 8800GT or GTS, I
> can't see an incentive to go out and replace it when you can stick another
> 8800 card in for SLI perfromance very likely close to equal to the 9800GTX.
> You can, of course, SLI two 9800GTX's but not too many will need it.

The 9800's will produce meaningful gains only in DX10 games at high
resolutions, since all DX9 titles are well handled by the 8800GTX.

The word on the street is nearly 30% gain in those areas where
performance is most necessary, but any gains in resolutions below
1600x1200 are superfluous as 60+FPS sustained with maximum filtering is
accomplished already.

30% sounds like a significant number, until you realize that 30% of
20FPS is only 26FPS, and 26FPS is unplayable (for shooters).

First of One[_2_]
February 27th 08, 04:10 AM
http://en.expreview.com/2008/02/23/more-details-on-9800gtx/

512MB 0.8ns DDR3 at 1100 MHz (compare to 972 MHz on the 8800GTS).

1100 x 2 x 256 /8 = 70.40 GB/sec

The 9800GTX may turn out slower than the 8800GTX at high-res + AA. Reminds
me of the Ferrari F50...

When is the "real" next-gen card coming again?