PDA

View Full Version : MSI NX8500GT temperature limit?

Dennis
February 22nd 08, 04:28 AM
I have built new system dual core MSI k9ag Neo Digital using passive
cooling nx8500gt video card. When I installed the card and booted
the system for the first time it got VERY hot for some reason, both to
the touch and the smell. I have no idea why. I quickly shut the PC
down, double checked all connections and finished my build.

The card has been working fine ever since, except that the MSI "dual
core center" utility wants to shut it down when it thinks the GPU temp
approaches 100 C, which happens under moderately low load (full
screen video).

But here's my question: The card's heatsink is scarcely even warm
to the touch despite the PC's conviction that the card is running in
the 90s.

questions:

1) Why so cool the heat sink?

2) Are the card's electronics really as hot as the sensors indicate
if I can feel no heat?

I would buy a slot cooler to draw away the card's heat, but it is
difficult for me to find any serious heat to dissipate.

Is there a temperature-sensing software problem here anyone has seen
before?

Thanks for anything,

Dennis

Augustus
February 22nd 08, 04:55 AM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
>I have built new system dual core MSI k9ag Neo Digital using passive
> cooling nx8500gt video card. When I installed the card and booted
> the system for the first time it got VERY hot for some reason, both to
> the touch and the smell. I have no idea why. I quickly shut the PC
> down, double checked all connections and finished my build.
>
> The card has been working fine ever since, except that the MSI "dual
> core center" utility wants to shut it down when it thinks the GPU temp
> approaches 100 C, which happens under moderately low load (full
> screen video).
>
> But here's my question: The card's heatsink is scarcely even warm
> to the touch despite the PC's conviction that the card is running in
> the 90s.

This unit has a 450 Mhz core and 800Mhz memory. Pretty tame. Full screen
video is basically no load. 3D gaming or rendering is moderate to heavy
load. It sounds like there may be a contact issue between the cooler and
GPU, or a thermal compound issue. Thermal diode reading 100C in 2D with a
barely warm passive heatsink? Not right. Remove the HS and check for proper
contact and reapply thermal compound. I've seen some cards that had very
poor factory coverage of thermal compound.

Dennis
February 22nd 08, 04:34 PM
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:55:08 GMT, "Augustus" >
wrote:

Thanks loads, Augustus. Removed the heat sink and found a piece of
paper between the paste and the sink. Amazing. Card now idling at
58C. Do you happen to know what the most "normal" range of temps, if
there is such a thing, would be for this card? In any case I'm very
content now thanks to you.

Dennis

deimos[_2_]
February 22nd 08, 10:54 PM
Dennis wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:55:08 GMT, "Augustus" >
> wrote:
>
> Thanks loads, Augustus. Removed the heat sink and found a piece of
> paper between the paste and the sink. Amazing. Card now idling at
> 58C. Do you happen to know what the most "normal" range of temps, if
> there is such a thing, would be for this card? In any case I'm very
> content now thanks to you.
>
> Dennis

I'm not exactly sure what an 8500 should run at, but by way of
comparison, my 8800GT has a maximum idle temp of 50c and 65c under load.
Considering that your card probably has a less efficient cooler, but
also runs at lower speeds, you shouldn't approach those levels.

40-55c is pretty standard for idle temps of most any videocard today,
it's more to do with the ambient case temp than anything else, but it
shouldn't radically deviate under load, so definitely no 100c or above
temps. Generally a 20-30c increase is considered normal for about any
decent chip. I do know that 8600GT's fairly cool as well.

I've been seeing a lot more people with budget cards getting faulty HSF
installations lately. I think some of these brands don't train their
employee's worth a damn. :) All they really do is rebrand a reference
board from manufacturing, slap a custom HSF on (or not) and package it.

Augustus
February 23rd 08, 12:44 AM
"Dennis" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:55:08 GMT, "Augustus" >
> wrote:
>
> Thanks loads, Augustus. Removed the heat sink and found a piece of
> paper between the paste and the sink. Amazing. Card now idling at
> 58C. Do you happen to know what the most "normal" range of temps, if
> there is such a thing, would be for this card? In any case I'm very
> content now thanks to you.

That's right about where where it should be. I agree with the other posters
comments on temp ranges for operation. Passive cards, of course, rely
greatly on proper case cooling and venting.

Dennis
February 23rd 08, 03:13 PM
After some experience with my corrected heat transfer I'm generally
between 62 to 70. I don't do any gaming so I guess I'm okay. We
turn the heat down a lot and room temperature seems to make a
measurable difference, more than I would have imagined.

I wonder if adding a slot fan to lose a few degrees would add anything
to the lifetime of the card. Probably lose as much or more on my
electrical bill.

Thanks for the comments. Helpful.

Dennis