PDA

View Full Version : Curving of the earth in Battlefield 2 ?


Skybuck Flying
February 19th 08, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I wonder...

Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
???

Bye,
Skybuck.

deimos[_2_]
February 20th 08, 01:55 AM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder...
>
> Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
> ???
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
>

No. Fire up a ****ing map editor sometime genius.

Skybuck Flying
February 20th 08, 03:57 AM
"deimos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
...
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder...
>>
>> Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the
>> earth ???
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>
> No. Fire up a ****ing map editor sometime genius.

The game engine could alter the map for displaying purposes ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Dasuraga
February 23rd 08, 10:07 AM
On Feb 19, 9:25*pm, "Skybuck Flying" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder...
>
> Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
> ???
>
> Bye,
> * Skybuck.

I doubt it.

TheBoffin
February 23rd 08, 04:09 PM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder...
>
> Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
> ???
>

The Earth is flat I tell you!

Dasuraga
February 24th 08, 12:38 PM
On Feb 23, 4:09*pm, TheBoffin >
wrote:
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I wonder...
>
> > Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
> > ???
>
> The Earth is flat I tell you!

Gameplay-wise, it makes sense to have flat levels, especially
considering that, in real life, the curvature of the earth isn't
really obvious(except for specific cases, like a boat going into the
horizon)

RF
February 24th 08, 03:05 PM
>"Dasuraga" > wrote in message
...
>On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, TheBoffin >
> >wrote:
> >The Earth is flat I tell you!
>
> Gameplay-wise, it makes sense to have flat levels, especially
> considering that, in real life, the curvature of the earth isn't
> really obvious(except for specific cases, like a boat going into the
> horizon)

Well... I would say that it is obvious, otherwise you'd be able to see
mountains, tall buildings, and other such things from much, much farther
away.

Okay, maybe it's just obvious to me, because I think things like that.

RF.

John Nagle
February 24th 08, 06:57 PM
Dasuraga wrote:
> On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, TheBoffin >
> wrote:
>> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I wonder...
>>> Are the levels/maps in Battlefield 2 curved ? like the curving of the earth
>>> ???
>> The Earth is flat I tell you!
>
> Gameplay-wise, it makes sense to have flat levels, especially
> considering that, in real life, the curvature of the earth isn't
> really obvious(except for specific cases, like a boat going into the
> horizon)

Some of the large scale virtual worlds have a curved surface. "There" did.

John Nagle

Daniel Pitts
February 24th 08, 07:35 PM
RF wrote:
>
>> "Dasuraga" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>
>> On Feb 23, 4:09 pm, TheBoffin >
>> >wrote:
>> >The Earth is flat I tell you!
>>
>> Gameplay-wise, it makes sense to have flat levels, especially
>> considering that, in real life, the curvature of the earth isn't
>> really obvious(except for specific cases, like a boat going into the
>> horizon)
>
> Well... I would say that it is obvious, otherwise you'd be able to see
> mountains, tall buildings, and other such things from much, much farther
> away.
>
> Okay, maybe it's just obvious to me, because I think things like that.
>
> RF.
Not really, because perspective would make them appear smaller and
smaller over a distance until they are no longer visible.



--
Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/>

Miles Bader[_2_]
February 24th 08, 08:12 PM
Daniel Pitts > writes:
>> Well... I would say that it is obvious, otherwise you'd be able to see
>> mountains, tall buildings, and other such things from much, much
>> farther away.

> Not really, because perspective would make them appear smaller and
> smaller over a distance until they are no longer visible.

And in practice it often seems to be haze that ends up doing the job.

-Miles

--
Laughter, n. An interior convulsion, producing a distortion of the features
and accompanied by inarticulate noises. It is infectious and, though
intermittent, incurable.