PDA

View Full Version : 8600GT Thoughts ?

Wonderman
February 15th 08, 10:14 PM
I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083

FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD as
well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent Sony
desktop so fanless is really important.

Augustus
February 16th 08, 12:36 AM
"Wonderman" > wrote in message
>I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083

Bottom feeder for FS X 3D. A this 8800GS is twice the card for $60 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275

Better yet, why not just get a the real deal 256Mb 8800GT for $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125089

or this 512Mb Galaxy 8800GT for $184 with rebate
http://www.ncixus.com/products/27328/88YFF6HUFEXX/Galaxy%20Technology/

I have one of the OC Galaxy 8800GT 512Mb cards and it's quality is right up
there with the best. Excellent overclocker too.

Wonderman
February 16th 08, 12:57 AM
I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.

Any ideas about fanless cards ?

"Augustus" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Wonderman" > wrote in message
>>I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>>

> Bottom feeder for FS X 3D. A this 8800GS is twice the card for $60 more.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275
>
> Better yet, why not just get a the real deal 256Mb 8800GT for $209
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125089
>
> or this 512Mb Galaxy 8800GT for $184 with rebate
> http://www.ncixus.com/products/27328/88YFF6HUFEXX/Galaxy%20Technology/
>
> I have one of the OC Galaxy 8800GT 512Mb cards and it's quality is right
> up there with the best. Excellent overclocker too.

Mr.E Solved!
February 16th 08, 01:08 AM
Wonderman wrote:
> I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>

> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD
> as well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent
> Sony desktop so fanless is really important.

How about a fanless 512M 8800GT from ECS that costs only $215 (after rebate)

Thank you, NewEgg, and you are welcome Wonderman.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134035&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL020708&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL020708-_-VideoCards-_-L2B-_-14134035

Augustus
February 16th 08, 01:12 AM
"Wonderman" > wrote in message
> I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
> that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.
>
> Any ideas about fanless cards ?

That Galaxy I pointed you at has a silent fan. It's not like the other
enclosed dustbuster 8800GT's.

First of One[_2_]
February 16th 08, 03:11 AM
Careful. According to the user reviews, ECS did a poor job with the
packaging; the card often
comes through shipping with bent fins and broken plastic trim.

"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message
. ..
> How about a fanless 512M 8800GT from ECS that costs only $215 (after
> rebate)
>
> Thank you, NewEgg, and you are welcome Wonderman.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134035&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL020708&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL020708-_-VideoCards-_-L2B-_-14134035

Mr.E Solved!
February 16th 08, 03:25 AM
First of One wrote:
> Careful. According to the user reviews, ECS did a poor job with the
> packaging; the card often
> comes through shipping with bent fins and broken plastic trim.

Oh noes! Possibly bent fins! Possibly broken plastic trim! I too read
the reviews from the newegg buyers.

You bend the fin(s) back in place if necessary and if the optional fans
or plastic bits arrived mashed, you get new ones if you plan on even
using them.

That was a stretch even for you, firsty you old sock, you old horse
thief, you old so-and-so.

Paul
February 16th 08, 04:37 AM
Wonderman wrote:
> I'd love to put one of those in but they all use fans. I've tried cards
> that use fans and they all sound like Dustbusters on low speed.
>
> Any ideas about fanless cards ?

Sparkle has a press release for a fanless one. The second link is a review.
Any time you buy a passive, be prepared to mount a fan next to it.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/News/SP8800GTpassive/news_SP8800GT_passive_EN.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/489/1/

Paul

First of One[_2_]
February 16th 08, 03:42 PM
There are a lot of things I *can* do to repair the card, but I *won't*
because I paid money for a new, defect-free product.

As for the horse thief part, well, I don't trust anything with less than 4
wheels and a motor. Unless you are talking about a certain first-person
slasher game made by Bethesda...

"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message
> Oh noes! Possibly bent fins! Possibly broken plastic trim! I too read the
> reviews from the newegg buyers.
>
> You bend the fin(s) back in place if necessary and if the optional fans or
> plastic bits arrived mashed, you get new ones if you plan on even using
> them.
>
> That was a stretch even for you, firsty you old sock, you old horse thief,
> you old so-and-so.

Wonderman
February 16th 08, 03:54 PM
My vista score is currently a 4.3. Can anyone guess what an 8600GT score
would yield ?

"Wonderman" > wrote in message
>I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>

> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD as
> well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent Sony
> desktop so fanless is really important.

Augustus
February 16th 08, 04:06 PM
"Wonderman" > wrote in message
> My vista score is currently a 4.3. Can anyone guess what an 8600GT score
> would yield ?

Why don't you go out, buy it, then tell us all after ignoring all the
constructive advice?

Fishface
February 16th 08, 04:38 PM
Augustus wrote:

> Why don't you go out, buy it, then tell us all after ignoring all the
> constructive advice?

LOL! That would truly be an incremental upgrade.

Mr.E Solved!
February 16th 08, 05:58 PM
Augustus wrote:

> Why don't you go out, buy it, then tell us all after ignoring all the
> constructive advice?

Hah! But that would mean he would have to face the sad reality that his
PC really isn't up to the task of running his flight sim the way he wants.

Face it Wonderman, if you want FSX to run better, you need a faster CPU.
as well, it's just how that goes. But, your Vaio can't take CPU upgrades
easily if at all, best guess.

Wonderman
February 16th 08, 09:08 PM
Geez... Whats the average age on this board ? 8 ?

"Augustus" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Wonderman" > wrote in message
>> My vista score is currently a 4.3. Can anyone guess what an 8600GT score
>> would yield ?
>
> Why don't you go out, buy it, then tell us all after ignoring all the
> constructive advice?

DRS
February 17th 08, 09:45 AM
"Wonderman" > wrote in message

> I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>

> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in
> CAD as well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly
> silent Sony desktop so fanless is really important.

Given the 8600GT's DX9 performance is roughly that of a 7600GT it's not much
of an upgrade from a 7600GS.

Fishface
February 17th 08, 05:19 PM
Wonderman wrote:

> Geez... Whats the average age on this board ? 8 ?

Well there's an exaggeration, to be sure. I think it's more like fifteen.

FS X is very CPU intensive. What are your system specs and at what
resolution are you trying to run it?

From this chart:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=717&model2=855&chart=291

....you can see that the 8600GT would in fact be a decent upgrade in
this specific case, and you can also see how CPU limited the game
is, as the top GPUs don't perform significantly better at that resolution.

Click on the chart bars to get the system specs. It seems they used
an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, 2.93 GHz. I have read that better
multithreading support has been added with the FS X Service Pack 1.

Wonderman
February 17th 08, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the perspective and info.

I'm running a 2.8 ghz Pentium D dual core with 2 gig ram and the 7600GS
card. The Windows Vista score is currently 4.3 and the resolution is 1650
x 1080. My sense of it ( despite the peanut gallery comments ) is that the
Gigabyte fanless 8600GT would be an improvement. Currently this system is
nearly silent and tremendously reliable.

"Fishface" ?> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Wonderman wrote:
>
>> Geez... Whats the average age on this board ? 8 ?
>
> Well there's an exaggeration, to be sure. I think it's more like fifteen.
>
> FS X is very CPU intensive. What are your system specs and at what
> resolution are you trying to run it?
>
> From this chart:
> http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=717&model2=855&chart=291
>
> ...you can see that the 8600GT would in fact be a decent upgrade in
> this specific case, and you can also see how CPU limited the game
> is, as the top GPUs don't perform significantly better at that resolution.
>
> Click on the chart bars to get the system specs. It seems they used
> an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, 2.93 GHz. I have read that better
> multithreading support has been added with the FS X Service Pack 1.

Paul
February 18th 08, 05:10 AM
Wonderman wrote:
> Thank you for the perspective and info.
>
> I'm running a 2.8 ghz Pentium D dual core with 2 gig ram and the 7600GS
> card. The Windows Vista score is currently 4.3 and the resolution is
> 1650 x 1080. My sense of it ( despite the peanut gallery comments ) is
> that the Gigabyte fanless 8600GT would be an improvement. Currently
> this system is nearly silent and tremendously reliable.

Setting up FSX is complicated, and the article here claims the frame rate
can be capped by "Target Frame Rate".

http://web.archive.org/web/20070318024332/www.fsinsider.com/Community/News-Articles/What-is-Your-Frame-Rate.htm

The Target Frame Rate setting is shown here.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=&act=Attach&type=post&id=5842
( http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=40850 )

In the Tomshardware chart, the more powerful video cards are all delivering
about the same frame rate. Could this be caused by "Target Frame Rate" ?
Or is it caused by running out of CPU power ?

More system examples here, and quoted frame rates.
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1190754444

Paul

> "Fishface" ?> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Wonderman wrote:
>>
>>> Geez... Whats the average age on this board ? 8 ?
>>
>> Well there's an exaggeration, to be sure. I think it's more like
>> fifteen.
>>
>> FS X is very CPU intensive. What are your system specs and at what
>> resolution are you trying to run it?
>>
>> From this chart:
>> http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=717&model2=855&chart=291
>>

>> ...you can see that the 8600GT would in fact be a decent upgrade in
>> this specific case, and you can also see how CPU limited the game
>> is, as the top GPUs don't perform significantly better at that
>> resolution.
>>
>> Click on the chart bars to get the system specs. It seems they used
>> an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800, 2.93 GHz. I have read that better
>> multithreading support has been added with the FS X Service Pack 1.

Wonderman
February 19th 08, 03:32 AM
OK. I went to Best Buy and bought a PNY 8600GT 512K with GDDR3 memory. And
a real loud fan so its going back. The fan itself isnít too loud but in
this case it is like a Dustbuster.
My Windows Experience score went from 4.3 to 4.7 with the card itself going
from 4.3 to 5.7. The CPU is the constraining score at 4.7 so the
speculation about FSX was correct actually. It ran a bit more smooth but it
wasnít enough to knock you back in your chair.

In CAD rotating a 3D solid was quite a bit smother and for the sum total of
the user experience Iíll go for the fanless one form NewEgg.

My last question for the group is whether to go for the Gigabyte 8600GT with
512K of GDDR2 or the same card with 256 of GDDR3 ? Some of the comments
about the heat those cards generate were a concern as well.

"DRS" > wrote in message
> "Wonderman" > wrote in message
>
>> I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>>

>> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in
>> CAD as well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly
>> silent Sony desktop so fanless is really important.
>
> Given the 8600GT's DX9 performance is roughly that of a 7600GT it's not
> much of an upgrade from a 7600GS.

Phil Weldon
February 19th 08, 05:49 AM
'Wonderman' wrote:
| OK. I went to Best Buy and bought a PNY 8600GT 512K with GDDR3 memory.
And
| a real loud fan so its going back. The fan itself isnít too loud but in
| this case it is like a Dustbuster.
| My Windows Experience score went from 4.3 to 4.7 with the card itself
going
| from 4.3 to 5.7. The CPU is the constraining score at 4.7 so the
| speculation about FSX was correct actually. It ran a bit more smooth but
it
| wasnít enough to knock you back in your chair.
|
| In CAD rotating a 3D solid was quite a bit smother and for the sum total
of
| the user experience Iíll go for the fanless one form NewEgg.
|
| My last question for the group is whether to go for the Gigabyte 8600GT
with
| 512K of GDDR2 or the same card with 256 of GDDR3 ? Some of the comments
| about the heat those cards generate were a concern as well.
_____

Clearly you need a better performing CPU, as that is the weak link indicated
by the fairly useless 'Windows Experience' test. My T7200 2.0 GHz X 4 MB L2
cache Dell Inspiron notebook with a 8600M GT beats your CPU score and the
low power (low clock speed) 8600M GT comes in at 4.6, just below your 8600
GT at 4.7. I certainly would not call my notebook a serious gaming system;
the 3DMark06 score is ~ 3800 unless I overclock the video card (which quite
easily will handle a 30% clock rate increase.)

A noticeable improvement for your system is going to require more than going
from last generation's midrange video card to a current generation midrange
video card.

But evidently you don't want to hear that.

Phil Weldon

"Wonderman" > wrote in message
| OK. I went to Best Buy and bought a PNY 8600GT 512K with GDDR3 memory.
And
| a real loud fan so its going back. The fan itself isnít too loud but in
| this case it is like a Dustbuster.
| My Windows Experience score went from 4.3 to 4.7 with the card itself
going
| from 4.3 to 5.7. The CPU is the constraining score at 4.7 so the
| speculation about FSX was correct actually. It ran a bit more smooth but
it
| wasnít enough to knock you back in your chair.
|
| In CAD rotating a 3D solid was quite a bit smother and for the sum total
of
| the user experience Iíll go for the fanless one form NewEgg.
|
| My last question for the group is whether to go for the Gigabyte 8600GT
with
| 512K of GDDR2 or the same card with 256 of GDDR3 ? Some of the comments
| about the heat those cards generate were a concern as well.
|

| "DRS" > wrote in message
| > "Wonderman" > wrote in message
| >
| >> I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
| >>
| >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
| >>

| >> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in
| >> CAD as well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly
| >> silent Sony desktop so fanless is really important.
| >
| > Given the 8600GT's DX9 performance is roughly that of a 7600GT it's not
| > much of an upgrade from a 7600GS.

johns
February 19th 08, 06:25 PM
I have 11 of the 8600 GTs in a CAD lab .. running CATIA,
Solidworks, etc. Put them in P35 chipset mobos, and
Aquamark3 scored 140,000 ... highest I have ever seen.
They are cool and quiet, and they don't overheat like
all of the 8800s do. I really don't think passive cooling
would work with an 8800 .. or you would still have to
run an external fan with plenty of venting. Still don't
underpower the 8600. Those commercial desktops
tend to be underpowered. Check that.

johns

Wonderman
February 19th 08, 08:38 PM
I have a 945P chipset & a 365 watt PS so no issues there. I also run
Solidworks as well. I'll probably go for the gddr3 . 256mb board. Are you
running the same exact Gigabyte board ?

"johns" > wrote in message
>I have 11 of the 8600 GTs in a CAD lab .. running CATIA,
> Solidworks, etc. Put them in P35 chipset mobos, and
> Aquamark3 scored 140,000 ... highest I have ever seen.
> They are cool and quiet, and they don't overheat like
> all of the 8800s do. I really don't think passive cooling
> would work with an 8800 .. or you would still have to
> run an external fan with plenty of venting. Still don't
> underpower the 8600. Those commercial desktops
> tend to be underpowered. Check that.
>
> johns

mangyrat
February 19th 08, 11:34 PM
Get a 8800GT the fan can be set to a slower or faster speed with rivatuner
or the nvida control panel
the XFX8800 GT is so silent at stock setting you cant hear it only when I
set the fan to 75% or more can I hear it and I only do that when I OC the
card.

your CPU will hold the card back but look at it this way your going to
upgrade that system sooner or later you may as well have a good video card
for when you do upgrade
or you can waste your $ on a 8600 that is not that good of a upgrade.

"Wonderman" > wrote in message
>I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 to this -
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>

> FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD as
> well. Any thoughts appreciated. BTW I'm running a nearly silent Sony
> desktop so fanless is really important.

March 16th 08, 06:33 AM
On Feb 19, 5:34*pm, "mangyrat" > wrote:
> Get a 8800GT the fan can be set to a slower or faster speed with rivatuner
> or the nvida control panel
> the XFX8800 GT is so silent at stock setting you cant hear it only when I
> set the fan to 75% or more can I hear it and I only do that when I OC the
> card.
>
> your CPU will hold the card back but look at it this way your going to
> upgrade that system sooner or later you may as well have a good video card
> for when you do upgrade
> or you can waste your $ on a 8600 that is not that good of a upgrade.
>
> "Wonderman" > wrote in message

> >I was considering upgrading from an XFX 7600 GS 256 *to this -
>
> >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125083
>
> > FS X is a bit too choppy in the old card and I could use a boost in CAD as
> > well. *Any thoughts appreciated. *BTW I'm running a nearly silent Sony
> > desktop so fanless is really important.- Hide quoted text -

If you just want it for fsx then the 8600gt is faster than the 8800gt
for some reason but if you are doing more than fsx than 8800gt is for
you