PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavillion a1610, 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz upgrade. How and what?

Ritter 197
February 15th 08, 03:16 PM
My question regarding a possible update.

I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology, AMD
Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive, ASUSTek
NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display adapter,
Windows XP media edition installed.

What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay with
AMD? Then which one?

Go to an Intel or other MB and an Intel CPU? Which one?

Augustus
February 15th 08, 04:13 PM
"Ritter 197" > wrote in message
. ..
> My question regarding a possible update.
>
> I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
> AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
> ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
> adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
>
> What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
> with AMD? Then which one?

What are you using it for?

Wes Newell
February 15th 08, 04:34 PM
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:16:23 -0500, Ritter 197 wrote:

> My question regarding a possible update.
>
> I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
> AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
> ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
> adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
>
> What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
> with AMD? Then which one?
>
> Go to an Intel or other MB and an Intel CPU? Which one?

What's wrong with the setup you have now? Most people would love a system
like you have.

Crossposting removed.

Ritter 197
February 15th 08, 04:52 PM
No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
presentation.

"Augustus" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Ritter 197" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> My question regarding a possible update.
>>
>> I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
>> AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
>> ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
>> adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
>>
>> What would make the most economic sense: Keep the Motherboard and stay
>> with AMD? Then which one?
>
> What are you using it for?

Augustus
February 16th 08, 01:03 AM
"Ritter 197" > wrote in message
> No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
> beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
> presentation.

Honestly, there's really not much point in going much upgrading this system
due to the proprietary nature of the motherboard . There is a version
5.51.28.50 BIOS with a Dec 2007 release date for the A8M2N-LA motherboard.
Whether or not this update provides support for the more newer X2, FX and
Opteron dual core lines I don't know. Release notes were hard to find and I
can't be bothered to dig a whole lot deeper. It's your box, after all. If
it could, then get an Opteron 185 which is a 2.6Ghz 2Mb L2 cache unit. It
(other than the FX60 which is basically identical other than being fully
unlocked rather than partially like the Opteron and four time the cost) is
the ultimate and final sokcet 939 upgrade. You'll really see a difference
with it.....if the BIOS can be upgraded to support it. Don't just buy one
off eBay and stick it in, without checking. About $210.

Paul
February 16th 08, 04:08 AM
Augustus wrote:
> "Ritter 197" > wrote in message
>> No fast games. But for Bridge, e-mail, internet, video processing (just
>> beginning), digital photo processing, Word processing, Power point
>> presentation.
>
> Honestly, there's really not much point in going much upgrading this system
> due to the proprietary nature of the motherboard . There is a version
> 5.51.28.50 BIOS with a Dec 2007 release date for the A8M2N-LA motherboard.
> Whether or not this update provides support for the more newer X2, FX and
> Opteron dual core lines I don't know. Release notes were hard to find and I
> can't be bothered to dig a whole lot deeper. It's your box, after all. If
> it could, then get an Opteron 185 which is a 2.6Ghz 2Mb L2 cache unit. It
> (other than the FX60 which is basically identical other than being fully
> unlocked rather than partially like the Opteron and four time the cost) is
> the ultimate and final sokcet 939 upgrade. You'll really see a difference
> with it.....if the BIOS can be upgraded to support it. Don't just buy one
> off eBay and stick it in, without checking. About $210.

If this is the motherboard, the socket is AM2.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00757531&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#

This is the processor support list for a similar Asus board (AM2, 6150 chipset).
Notice that at least with Asus own boards, the BIOS release needed varies
with processor type. Whether the HP BIOS is as rev-happy as this, I can't
say.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=1&name=M2NPV-VM&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

A 6400+ runs at 125W TDP, so whether that would be feasible would depend
on what kind of cooling the HP box has, and whether the Vcore regulator
and the HP power supply can provide juice to run it. Some pre-built
computers have pretty anemic cooling systems.

One of the benefits of building your own computer, is you get a
list, like that Asus one. If HP provided an upgrade list for
the processor socket, that would make it a better platform
for home upgrades.

You could attempt to upgrade it, but if the computer doesn't
POST with the new processor, you're not going to be too happy.

Paul

Miles Bader[_2_]
February 16th 08, 04:11 AM
Wes Newell > writes:
>> I have an 18 mos. Old HP computer Pavillion a1610, AMD Live technology,
>> AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive,
>> ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05 Motherboard, and a NVDA GeForce 6150 LE Display
>> adapter, Windows XP media edition installed.
>
> What's wrong with the setup you have now? Most people would love a system
> like you have.

I sure would!

[Ok, windows goes, but everything else sounds fairly scrumptious to me...]

-Miles

--
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there
can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence

Augustus
February 16th 08, 04:38 AM
> If this is the motherboard, the socket is AM2.
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00757531&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#

Hmm, he says his A1610 is an A64 X2 4200+......is there an AM2 socket
version of this?

Paul
February 16th 08, 09:50 AM
Augustus wrote:
>> If this is the motherboard, the socket is AM2.
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00757531&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#
>
> Hmm, he says his A1610 is an A64 X2 4200+......is there an AM2 socket
> version of this?

There are some 4200+ in the Asus list.

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (CU),512Kx2,rev.F2,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 0303
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (CU),512Kx2,rev.F2,89W,SocketAM2 ALL 0303
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (DD),512Kx2,rev.G1,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 1103
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (DO),512Kx2,rev.G2,65W,SocketAM2 ALL 1201

The AMD list shows five.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUResult.aspx?f1=AMD+Athlon%e2%84%a2+64+X2 +Dual-Core&f2=4200%2b&f3=2200&f4=512&f9=2000&

Paul

Ritter 197