PDA

View Full Version : bios issue

Peter[_10_]
February 1st 08, 02:58 AM
My nvidia based gaming built by me system has an issue with the computer
bios. The issue is that when the computer restarts often it goes into bios
safe mode to " reset cpu frequency" press delete to enter bios or f1 to
continue. I have uguru (abit) based motherboard diag software.

If I hit delete enter bios enter cpu area then hit F10 to save its good. If
I hit F1 then it restarts but will crash when I start uguru. Is this a
short on the motherboard. Because changing the cpu didnt help and when I
tried to overclock the cpu I got bios coruption on the screen letters all
over etc like if I pluged in a bad fan or something. Tia Peter

Augustus
February 1st 08, 04:07 AM
"Peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My nvidia based gaming built by me system has an issue with the computer
> bios. The issue is that when the computer restarts often it goes into bios
> safe mode to " reset cpu frequency" press delete to enter bios or f1 to
> continue. I have uguru (abit) based motherboard diag software.
>
> If I hit delete enter bios enter cpu area then hit F10 to save its good.
> If I hit F1 then it restarts but will crash when I start uguru. Is this a
> short on the motherboard. Because changing the cpu didnt help and when I
> tried to overclock the cpu I got bios coruption on the screen letters all
> over etc like if I pluged in a bad fan or something. Tia Peter

Give the complete lack of details regarding your system components and BIOS
settings, it's impossible to give an answer. I'd suggest you simply run
everything at the default BIOS settings until you are able to properly
explain what you are doing and what settings you are using. A more
appropriate venue for a coherent detailed post would be
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Conor[_2_]
February 1st 08, 04:24 AM
In article <[email protected]>, Peter says...
> My nvidia based gaming built by me system has an issue with the computer
> bios. The issue is that when the computer restarts often it goes into bios
> safe mode to " reset cpu frequency" press delete to enter bios or f1 to
> continue. I have uguru (abit) based motherboard diag software.
>
> If I hit delete enter bios enter cpu area then hit F10 to save its good. If
> I hit F1 then it restarts but will crash when I start uguru. Is this a
> short on the motherboard. Because changing the cpu didnt help and when I
> tried to overclock the cpu I got bios coruption on the screen letters all
> over etc like if I pluged in a bad fan or something. Tia Peter

Ah, you mention uGuru so you're overclocking it. Looks like you
overclocked it a bit too much and may have fried the chipset or your
RAM.

I think you've just been taught a lesson.

--
Conor

As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.

Peter[_10_]
February 1st 08, 03:21 PM
Yes because Im not overclocking anything. It does however auto overclock fsb
from 200 to 202. I dont see how abit can use uguru if it has a bug
/conflict. I only use it to check my cpu temp and voltages all are perfect
and I have a good psu. There are conflicts with uguru if you use the bios to
overclock or not uguru is crap and all the versions suck Its issues like
these that make me want to go and buy a dell next time.

"Ryan Hatfield" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> My nvidia based gaming built by me system has an issue with the computer
>> bios. The issue is that when the computer restarts often it goes into
>> bios safe mode to " reset cpu frequency" press delete to enter bios or f1
>> to continue. I have uguru (abit) based motherboard diag software.
>>
>> If I hit delete enter bios enter cpu area then hit F10 to save its good.
>> If I hit F1 then it restarts but will crash when I start uguru. Is this
>> a short on the motherboard. Because changing the cpu didnt help and when
>> I tried to overclock the cpu I got bios coruption on the screen letters
>> all over etc like if I pluged in a bad fan or something. Tia Peter
>
> I wouldn't trust anything that is marketed like this:
> ABIT ?Guru is a new microprocessor designed by the ABIT Engineers for use
> only on ABIT motherboards and which allows end-users to reach a higher
> state of hardware awareness and enlightenment.
>
> I'm guessing that the software is automatically overclocking, changing
> voltages, etc and your system can't handle it. Then when you reboot it
> still can't handle those settings. On the second reboot your BIOS notices
> this and tells you to use the default settings (ones that apparently
> work). Then you run this application again starting the whole cycle over.
>
> It doesn't sound like a BIOS issue at all. Just don't use that program.
> It could also just be a bug with that particular version.

Mr.E Solved!
February 1st 08, 07:11 PM
Peter wrote:

> Yes because Im not overclocking anything. It does however auto overclock fsb
> from 200 to 202. I dont see how abit can use uguru if it has a bug
> /conflict. I only use it to check my cpu temp and voltages all are perfect
> and I have a good psu. There are conflicts with uguru if you use the bios to
> overclock or not uguru is crap and all the versions suck Its issues like
> these that make me want to go and buy a dell next time.

Generally, CPUs have much more overclocking ability at their base
line/default electrical specs than RAM chips do. That uGuru overclocks
the FSB by 2MHz is trivial for your CPU, FSB, PCI bus, and most other
components.

But your RAM sticks might be sensitive at their specific timings to
exactly the speed they expect and no other. That said, relaxing just one
of those subtle RAM timings (easily done in any Award BIOS such as what
Abit uses) could make your system not only stable, but able to reach
even higher speeds.

You should only poke the BIOS in one consistent way: Through the BIOS
interface prior to boot, with a board level supplied program (like
uguru) or with an integrated suite (like ntune).

Be sure to use the latest versions, chipset drivers, yadda yadda, and
read more on OCing, there are some pitfalls easily avoided with
knowledge and the experience becomes more practical than trying to keep
a bunch of plates spinning on tall sticks.