PDA

View Full Version : Silent "thin" aftermarket cooler for 7800GTX card ?

Lorenzo Sandini
January 25th 08, 12:15 PM
Hello,

I have been using for a while an Inno3D 7800GTX PCI-e card without any
problem, running with its stock cooler (the thin "reference" one).

As I mostly do 2D work on my computer the cooler is very silent, but
when using 3D apps or games, the noise pitch is quite annoying, while
not even very loud. I have had an eye on the Zalman VF-900Cu, and my
previous experiences with Zalman have been quite positive.

My mobo has 2 PCI slots only, and I have 2 PCI cards that I need there.
Fortunately the VF900 doesn't require me to remove a PCI card, but the
first PCI card comes quite near the fan, causing also turbulence and noise.

The PCI card is quite small and doesn't obstruct the fan at all, it just
causes some noise. All other components are really silent, and I can run
the machine on the PSU fan only without overheating. The PSU is a
beQuiet 500W that honestly, isn't loud at all. So the 7800GTX is the
noisiest component in my system.

Is there any other "thin" cooler that I could use with that gfx board ?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Robert McMillan
January 25th 08, 12:34 PM
You could try the Thermaltake DuOrb.
http://www.pccasegear.com/prod5867.htm

"Lorenzo Sandini" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been using for a while an Inno3D 7800GTX PCI-e card without any
> problem, running with its stock cooler (the thin "reference" one).
>
> As I mostly do 2D work on my computer the cooler is very silent, but when
> using 3D apps or games, the noise pitch is quite annoying, while not even
> very loud. I have had an eye on the Zalman VF-900Cu, and my previous
> experiences with Zalman have been quite positive.
>
> My mobo has 2 PCI slots only, and I have 2 PCI cards that I need there.
> Fortunately the VF900 doesn't require me to remove a PCI card, but the
> first PCI card comes quite near the fan, causing also turbulence and
> noise.
>
> The PCI card is quite small and doesn't obstruct the fan at all, it just
> causes some noise. All other components are really silent, and I can run
> the machine on the PSU fan only without overheating. The PSU is a beQuiet
> 500W that honestly, isn't loud at all. So the 7800GTX is the noisiest
> component in my system.
>
> Is there any other "thin" cooler that I could use with that gfx board ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lorenzo

Lorenzo Sandini
January 25th 08, 07:21 PM
Thanks Robert for the suggestion and quick reaction.

I went to Thermaltake's website and noticed next to the DuOrb also the
TMG-ND2. I need to read a bit about their dimensions and possible
reviews, but I think I'll try either of them.

Thanks again,

Lorenzo

Robert McMillan wrote:
> You could try the Thermaltake DuOrb.
> http://www.pccasegear.com/prod5867.htm
>
> "Lorenzo Sandini" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using for a while an Inno3D 7800GTX PCI-e card without any
>> problem, running with its stock cooler (the thin "reference" one).
>>
>> As I mostly do 2D work on my computer the cooler is very silent, but when
>> using 3D apps or games, the noise pitch is quite annoying, while not even
>> very loud. I have had an eye on the Zalman VF-900Cu, and my previous
>> experiences with Zalman have been quite positive.
>>
>> My mobo has 2 PCI slots only, and I have 2 PCI cards that I need there.
>> Fortunately the VF900 doesn't require me to remove a PCI card, but the
>> first PCI card comes quite near the fan, causing also turbulence and
>> noise.
>>
>> The PCI card is quite small and doesn't obstruct the fan at all, it just
>> causes some noise. All other components are really silent, and I can run
>> the machine on the PSU fan only without overheating. The PSU is a beQuiet
>> 500W that honestly, isn't loud at all. So the 7800GTX is the noisiest
>> component in my system.
>>
>> Is there any other "thin" cooler that I could use with that gfx board ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Lorenzo

First of One[_2_]
January 26th 08, 03:34 AM
Both the DuoOrb and ND2 are dual-slot coolers:
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/VGAnCHIPnMEM/CL-G0102/+_image/01_CL-G0102_8.gif
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/TMG/CL-G0078/+_image/02_app_1.gif

If you got space behind the video card, use a Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A,
which places the radiator on the back side of the card with wrap-around heat
pipes. See:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhr.html