PDA

View Full Version : ti4200 vs 5200

December 31st 07, 02:04 PM
Hi all

quick question:

which card would be better in my partner's p4 2.8ghz out of a ti4200
or a 5200? I know the 5200's got a bad rep but it is newer and
supports dx9...

any thoughts gratefully received

thanks

Richard

Augustus[_2_]
December 31st 07, 06:24 PM
> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> quick question:
>
> which card would be better in my partner's p4 2.8ghz out of a ti4200
> or a 5200? I know the 5200's got a bad rep but it is newer and
> supports dx9...

Of the two, a Geforce Ti4200 is superior, unless he or she has one of the
extremely rare FX5200 Ultra cards, in which case it's actually a bit better.
An standard 128bit FX5200 is a slower card with DX9 support tossed in as a
buying incentive for the less informed about gaming cards at the time. ABout
20% slower overall that a standart Ti4200 depending on the bench and
test.The 64bit FX5200 is basically just a 2D card.

FX5200128bit vs Ti4200 below
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-150-1.htm

FX5200 Ultra vs Ti4600 below
http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/pny-verto-geforce-fx/4505-8902_7-21226233.html

Augustus
December 31st 07, 06:58 PM
> Of the two, a Geforce Ti4200 is superior, unless he or she has one of the
> extremely rare FX5200 Ultra cards, in which case it's actually a bit
> better. An standard 128bit FX5200 is a slower card with DX9 support tossed
> in as a buying incentive for the less informed about gaming cards at the
> time. ABout 20% slower overall that a standart Ti4200 depending on the
> bench and test.The 64bit FX5200 is basically just a 2D card.
>
> FX5200128bit vs Ti4200 below
> http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-150-1.htm
>
> FX5200 Ultra vs Ti4600 below
> http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/pny-verto-geforce-fx/4505-8902_7-21226233.html

Sorry about all the typos, I was embarrased when i reread after posting. Way
up from my usual one or so. Early AM for me and not enough coffee yet.

Augustus[_2_]
December 31st 07, 07:34 PM
"John Edmister" > wrote in message
> My question is, why would you want to use either? When you can get modern
> cards that would blow both away? I have a cupboard full of everything from
> 4200TI's, 9600's up to 5600's. I had an x800GTO but put it in a system I
> build for someone about 1 1/2 years ago. I cant bring myself to throw them
> away, but, alls they do is collect dust lol.
> just doing a quick search on newegg, I found this card
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150174

This one is $40 cheaper right now, without mailing in and waiting 3 months
for a maybe rebate, and is faster to boot. In fact, it's the fastest AGP
card out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102071

Comparison below
http://www.techspot.com/review/28-radeon-x1950pro-vs-geforce-7900gs/

Lars-Erik ěsterud
January 1st 08, 04:05 AM
> which card would be better in my partner's p4 2.8ghz out of a ti4200
> or a 5200? I know the 5200's got a bad rep but it is newer and

Why not a 7600GS. Works very well.
I changed from a Ti4200 to 7600GS.
What a change!
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53GHz, 1GB, MSI 7600GS, SB-Live