PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards with Vista

Nefrit
December 27th 07, 12:30 PM
I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of bus and card.
If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?

Conor[_2_]
December 27th 07, 04:24 PM
In article >, Nefrit says...

> I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
> coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
> and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
> card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
> didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
> bus and card.
> If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
> current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?

No, PCIe won't work in a PCI slot. If you've only got PCI available,
you're going to be hard pressed to find anything to upgrade to.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Rich
December 27th 07, 04:31 PM
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:30:08 +0000, Nefrit
> wrote:

>I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
>coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
>and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
>card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
>didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
>bus and card.
>If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
>current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?

PCI express and PCI slots are totally different. One will not work
with the other.

If your machine runs vista then you will surely have either a AGP or
PCI express card slot. PCI only has been dead for years.

Only way to make sure is to get the motherboard model and do a google.

Rich

BigJim
December 27th 07, 04:32 PM
if your system is old enough to be running a 5500 I would guess and say you
need a new system to run vista properly.

"Nefrit" > wrote in message

> I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
> coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
> and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
> card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
> didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
> bus and card.
> If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
> current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?
>

> --
> Nefrit

Conor[_2_]
December 27th 07, 04:40 PM
In article >, Rich says...

> If your machine runs vista then you will surely have either a AGP or
> PCI express card slot. PCI only has been dead for years.

Hardly. PCI slotted only boards are very common in the low end market
where the graphics are integrated so no slot needed.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

First of One[_2_]
December 27th 07, 07:11 PM
Obviously the "gaming graphics" index matters only if you intend to run
modern games. (An FX5500 can easily handle Vista Aero effects.) What games
are you trying to play? Does it run well currently?

"Nefrit" > wrote in message

> I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
> coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
> and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
> card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
> didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
> bus and card.
> If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
> current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?
>

> --
> Nefrit

DaveW[_5_]
December 28th 07, 12:43 AM
You are TREMENDOUSLY limited as to what you can put into an old PCI slot
these days. PCI-E is the newest standard and is NOT comaptible with PCI
cards.

--
--DaveW
"Nefrit" > wrote in message

> I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
> coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
> and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
> card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
> didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
> bus and card.
> If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
> current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?
>

> --
> Nefrit

Augustus
December 28th 07, 02:57 AM
"Nefrit" > wrote in message

> I am running Vista Ultimate and my score for my pc was a 2.6 and it is
> coming from my gaming graphics. I'm looking for a new card to upgrade
> and I'm confused on the whole bus thing. I wanted to know if a PCIe
> card fits in a PCI slot, because I think thats what my computer has. I
> didn't know if it was an upgraded type of card or a whole new type of
> bus and card.
> If PCIe won't work what PCI card is recommended for running on vista my
> current video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?

The fastest PCI card available is the Diamond X1550 Pro 128bit 256Mb card...
it's actually capable of some real 3D capability with modern games at
moderate resolutions. The Diamond is a 128bit card. None of the other PCI
offerings come close to this one in terms of gaming perfromance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103031

There's a couple of other brands of X1550's out there that are 64bit you
want to avoid.