PDA

View Full Version : secondary display

Swampbug
December 21st 07, 05:45 PM
This is my first time posting to this group, IIRC. . .there is this saying
about old age and menory but I forget how it goes. . .

The questions;

Would anyone in this group, by chance, be using an NVidia 8600 series video
board. I need some serious help achieving 'TV Out' capabilities.

I have downloaded and installed the absolute latest drivers, per EVGA tech
support; I have tried installing them in safe mode, per EVGA tech support; I
have tried a max 5ft cable to the TV, per EVGA tech support, and still a
blank TV screen.
So if anyone has this video board and has successfully connected to a TV, I
would much appreciate a dialogue about setup. . .hardware and menu
selections in NVidia control panel.

TIA

--
Swampbug
-----------------------

JLC
December 21st 07, 08:57 PM
"Swampbug" > wrote in message
> This is my first time posting to this group, IIRC. . .there is this saying
> about old age and menory but I forget how it goes. . .
>
> The questions;
>
> Would anyone in this group, by chance, be using an NVidia 8600 series
> video
> board. I need some serious help achieving 'TV Out' capabilities.
>
> I have downloaded and installed the absolute latest drivers, per EVGA tech
> support; I have tried installing them in safe mode, per EVGA tech support;
> have tried a max 5ft cable to the TV, per EVGA tech support, and still a
> blank TV screen.
> So if anyone has this video board and has successfully connected to a TV,
> would much appreciate a dialogue about setup. . .hardware and menu
> selections in NVidia control panel.
>
> TIA

I feel your pain. And getting help with this question is for some reason is
hard. When I posted my question I figured I'd get an answer right away, but
it didn't happen. I even posted in the official Nvidia forum and didn't get
on reply. My problem is not getting the signal to the TV, it's how to adjust
the picture once I have it on my standard 4:3 TV. I fixed my problem with a
fantastic program called TVtool. It blows Nvidias funky TV controls out of
the water.
Anyway back to your problem, for starters what type of cable are you using?
And what type of TV are you trying to hook up. And what OS are you running?
I'll try and help once I get your answers.
JLC

Swampbug
December 22nd 07, 12:58 AM
"JLC" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Swampbug" > wrote in message
>> This is my first time posting to this group, IIRC. . .there is this
>> saying about old age and menory but I forget how it goes. . .
>>
>> The questions;
>>
>> Would anyone in this group, by chance, be using an NVidia 8600 series
>> video
>> board. I need some serious help achieving 'TV Out' capabilities.
>>
>> I have downloaded and installed the absolute latest drivers, per EVGA
>> tech
>> support; I have tried installing them in safe mode, per EVGA tech
>> support; I
>> have tried a max 5ft cable to the TV, per EVGA tech support, and still a
>> blank TV screen.
>> So if anyone has this video board and has successfully connected to a TV,
>> would much appreciate a dialogue about setup. . .hardware and menu
>> selections in NVidia control panel.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I feel your pain. And getting help with this question is for some reason
> is hard. When I posted my question I figured I'd get an answer right away,
> but it didn't happen. I even posted in the official Nvidia forum and
> didn't get on reply. My problem is not getting the signal to the TV, it's
> how to adjust the picture once I have it on my standard 4:3 TV. I fixed
> my problem with a fantastic program called TVtool. It blows Nvidias funky
> TV controls out of the water.
> Anyway back to your problem, for starters what type of cable are you
> using? And what type of TV are you trying to hook up. And what OS are you
> running? I'll try and help once I get your answers.
> JLC

I posted in two groups but that did not help much so I appreciate your
efforts. I am dual booting between XP Pro and Vista Business and have the
problem in both. I have a SVHS to RCA adaptor to RG59 between the adaptor
and my Hitachi 57in big screen. The RG59 cable has been adapted to RCA to
connect up with the RCA video in at the tv. RG59 was the only cableing I had
that was long enough. . .about 30ft. I was using a Radeon x1300xt prior to
the NVidia 8600gts and it had no problems at all. I am beginning to suspect
defective video board.
BTW. . .do you have a link for that "TVTools"?

JLC
December 22nd 07, 04:10 AM
"Swampbug" > wrote in message

> "JLC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Swampbug" > wrote in message
>>> This is my first time posting to this group, IIRC. . .there is this
>>> saying about old age and menory but I forget how it goes. . .
>>>
>>> The questions;
>>>
>>> Would anyone in this group, by chance, be using an NVidia 8600 series
>>> video
>>> board. I need some serious help achieving 'TV Out' capabilities.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded and installed the absolute latest drivers, per EVGA
>>> tech
>>> support; I have tried installing them in safe mode, per EVGA tech
>>> support; I
>>> have tried a max 5ft cable to the TV, per EVGA tech support, and still a
>>> blank TV screen.
>>> So if anyone has this video board and has successfully connected to a
>>> TV, I
>>> would much appreciate a dialogue about setup. . .hardware and menu
>>> selections in NVidia control panel.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> I feel your pain. And getting help with this question is for some reason
>> is hard. When I posted my question I figured I'd get an answer right
>> away, but it didn't happen. I even posted in the official Nvidia forum
>> and didn't get on reply. My problem is not getting the signal to the TV,
>> it's how to adjust the picture once I have it on my standard 4:3 TV. I
>> fixed my problem with a fantastic program called TVtool. It blows Nvidias
>> funky TV controls out of the water.
>> Anyway back to your problem, for starters what type of cable are you
>> using? And what type of TV are you trying to hook up. And what OS are you
>> running? I'll try and help once I get your answers.
>> JLC
>>

> I posted in two groups but that did not help much so I appreciate your
> efforts. I am dual booting between XP Pro and Vista Business and have the
> problem in both. I have a SVHS to RCA adaptor to RG59 between the adaptor
> and my Hitachi 57in big screen. The RG59 cable has been adapted to RCA to
> connect up with the RCA video in at the tv. RG59 was the only cableing I
> had that was long enough. . .about 30ft. I was using a Radeon x1300xt
> prior to the NVidia 8600gts and it had no problems at all. I am beginning
> to suspect defective video board.
> BTW. . .do you have a link for that "TVTools"?

I suspect it's all the different adapters and the RG59 cable that might be
causing you the problem.
I know that ATI supports just about anything when it comes to TV OUT, but
I'm not sure about the chips Nvidia uses. Your TV is a standard 4:3 def TV
right? Why not just buy a 30ft S-Video cable?
http://www.directron.com/svideocables.html This is where I get all my
cables. They sell a 100ft cable for $17 or a 25ft cable for $5!
This will give you a better picture then degrading it with all of those
adapters. Does your TV have S-Video inputs? What I think is happening is
that because of your present setup, the 8600 doesn't see the TV on the other
end of the line. I know this is a no brainier, but for me to get all of the
Nvidia TV out controls I need to make sure my TV is on, and set to the right
input when I start my PC (or just reboot works also) Then if it finds your
TV it will show in the toolbar tray applet.
When you talk to EVGA about your setup did they say it should work?
I'd sure try just buying a long enough cable, be it S-Video or Composite
(Yellow RCA)
As for TV Tool just Google it and it will come right up. But for you I don't
think this is going to fix the problem. The PC has to be able to see the TV
before any other program is going to do any good.
Good Luck and let me know how it's going. JLC

Swampbug
December 22nd 07, 05:20 AM
"JLC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
. ..

> "Swampbug" > wrote in message

>>> I feel your pain. And getting help with this question is for some reason
>>> is hard. When I posted my question I figured I'd get an answer right
>>> away, but it didn't happen. I even posted in the official Nvidia forum
>>> and didn't get on reply. My problem is not getting the signal to the TV,
>>> it's how to adjust the picture once I have it on my standard 4:3 TV. I
>>> fixed my problem with a fantastic program called TVtool. It blows
>>> Nvidias funky TV controls out of the water.
>>> Anyway back to your problem, for starters what type of cable are you
>>> using? And what type of TV are you trying to hook up. And what OS are
>>> you running? I'll try and help once I get your answers.
>>> JLC
>>>

>> I posted in two groups but that did not help much so I appreciate your
>> efforts. I am dual booting between XP Pro and Vista Business and have the
>> problem in both. I have a SVHS to RCA adaptor to RG59 between the adaptor
>> and my Hitachi 57in big screen. The RG59 cable has been adapted to RCA to
>> connect up with the RCA video in at the tv. RG59 was the only cableing I
>> had that was long enough. . .about 30ft. I was using a Radeon x1300xt
>> prior to the NVidia 8600gts and it had no problems at all. I am beginning
>> to suspect defective video board.
>> BTW. . .do you have a link for that "TVTools"?
>
> I suspect it's all the different adapters and the RG59 cable that might be
> causing you the problem.
> I know that ATI supports just about anything when it comes to TV OUT, but
> I'm not sure about the chips Nvidia uses. Your TV is a standard 4:3 def TV
> right? Why not just buy a 30ft S-Video cable?
> http://www.directron.com/svideocables.html This is where I get all my
> cables. They sell a 100ft cable for $17 or a 25ft cable for $5!
> This will give you a better picture then degrading it with all of those
> adapters. Does your TV have S-Video inputs? What I think is happening is
> that because of your present setup, the 8600 doesn't see the TV on the
> other end of the line. I know this is a no brainier, but for me to get all
> of the Nvidia TV out controls I need to make sure my TV is on, and set to
> the right input when I start my PC (or just reboot works also) Then if it
> finds your TV it will show in the toolbar tray applet.
> When you talk to EVGA about your setup did they say it should work?
> I'd sure try just buying a long enough cable, be it S-Video or Composite
> (Yellow RCA)
> As for TV Tool just Google it and it will come right up. But for you I
> don't think this is going to fix the problem. The PC has to be able to see
> the TV before any other program is going to do any good.
> Good Luck and let me know how it's going. JLC

well you seem to have it right with most of the situation. EVGA support
won't validate anything past 5ft, which is the length of the cable they
provided. I asked him if he cared to guess how many people have a TV within
2ft of their pc but he declined an opinion. <g>
Well my ATI card did not squawk at the cable arrangement and simply plowed
down it. An had I known of how persnickety NVidia was I would have ignored
them and invested in a better ATI board. . .which I may still do. I
appreciate the link for the cable supplier you provided and I may pick up a
50ft just to have one around. I will drag my other TV out of the bedroom to
connect with a 12ft svga I have. If that shows promise I will immediately
order the 50ft svga. Otherwise the board goes back. The bit about the icon
in the systray if the TV gets detected is an important tidbit. Thanks!

--
Swampbug
-----------------------

JLC
December 22nd 07, 09:20 AM
"Swampbug" > wrote in message

> well you seem to have it right with most of the situation. EVGA support
> won't validate anything past 5ft, which is the length of the cable they
> provided. I asked him if he cared to guess how many people have a TV
> within 2ft of their pc but he declined an opinion. <g>
> Well my ATI card did not squawk at the cable arrangement and simply plowed
> down it. An had I known of how persnickety NVidia was I would have ignored
> them and invested in a better ATI board. . .which I may still do. I
> appreciate the link for the cable supplier you provided and I may pick up
> a 50ft just to have one around. I will drag my other TV out of the bedroom
> to connect with a 12ft svga I have. If that shows promise I will
> immediately order the 50ft svga. Otherwise the board goes back. The bit
> about the icon in the systray if the TV gets detected is an important
> tidbit. Thanks!
>
> --
> Swampbug
> -----------------------

I've been using a 25ft S-Video cable from my PC to my home office TV for
years and the picture is
crystal clear, so don't worry about the long cable run. And to ease your
mind the TV out on the Nvidia card I have (8800GT) is just as good as my old
ATI X1900XT. It's just the TV drivers I don't like. JLC

Swampbug
December 22nd 07, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your time and help. If anything else pops up, I'll pop in from
time to time.

--
Swampbug