PDA

View Full Version : Problems with drivers

Knud Rasmussen
December 21st 07, 09:48 AM
HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have no
problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't see my
monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this problem.

KR

First of One[_2_]
December 21st 07, 11:52 PM
You mean the monitor shuts down on the next boot, just when Vista is
showing? What if you power on your monitor after Vista has finished loading?

"Knud Rasmussen" > wrote in message
> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
> GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
> vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have
> no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't
> see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this
> problem.
>
> KR

Jeepers Creepers
December 22nd 07, 12:23 PM
"Knud Rasmussen" > wrote in message
> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
> GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
> vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have
> no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't
> see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this
> problem.
>
> KR

I had a similar problem, it was just me having left my tv connected via
s-video, and this was the only display being used. I was confused for ages
until I realised, unplugged the tv and the monitor worked fine...

-Jeepers

Knud Rasmussen
December 22nd 07, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the answers

I have my tv connected with s-video, so may be that is the problem. Did you
connect the TV after installing the driver ????

KR
"Jeepers Creepers" > skrev i meddelelsen

> "Knud Rasmussen" > wrote in message
>> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a 8800
>> GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just when
>> vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96. I have
>> no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I can't
>> see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with this
>> problem.
>>
>> KR
>
> I had a similar problem, it was just me having left my tv connected via
> s-video, and this was the only display being used. I was confused for ages
> until I realised, unplugged the tv and the monitor worked fine...
>
> -Jeepers

Gorby
December 24th 07, 02:54 AM
Knud Rasmussen wrote:
> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a
> 8800 GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just
> when vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96.
> I have no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I
> can't see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with
> this problem.
>
> KR
Hi Knud,
This is a well known problem with Vista and the Drivers.
It has been discussed for a great deal of time on the NVIDIA website
forums (and still continues)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33671&start=100

I have had this problem in the past and continue to get it whenever I
"play" with the Registry, either by upgrading video drivers or using
"tweak" software to improve performance of Vista.

My problem is that after rebooting from (let's say) updating video
drivers, the monitor works - shows BIOS screen, then the little green
Windows boxes at the beginning of startup. Then, when you should get the
circular Windows logo, the screen comes up with "no signal". I still get
the sound signals that Windows Vista is starting up, but the screen
remains blank.

I have found that I can get the PC to go to Sleep Mode, then Resume it,
and the monitor comes back! However the resolution is decreased. I have
gone into Device Manager and noticed that the monitor thinks it is a NON
Plug and Play device. Aha! Therein lies the rub!

Windows has "forgotten" how to communicate to the monitor correctly!

So far, fixing this is easy. Simply power off the monitor for a couple
of minutes - while the PC is turned on. I also unplugged the power cord
and the video cable, but don't know if that is necessary.
When I plugged in the monitor and turned it on again, Windows comes up
with "new hardware detected" and loads plug and play monitor drivers,
and everything works correctly again.

Cheers
Gordy

PS. I can't say that this will fix your problem. I had been tearing my
hair out over a few months because of this. I had returned the PC to the
shop I purchased it from. They had even changed video cards to an ATI card.

It was only after reading the nVidia Forum, and (purely by chance)
sleeping the PC and resuming, then looking in Device Manager did I work
out my "fix"

Is it a Vista problem? nVidia? ATI? Who knows!? But I bloody wish
someone would fix it!

Gorby
December 24th 07, 03:02 AM
Gorby wrote:
> Knud Rasmussen wrote:
>> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a
>> 8800 GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver,
>> just when vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a
>> IBM G96. I have no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in
>> rec. mode, I can't see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone
>> help me with this problem.
>>
>> KR
> Hi Knud,
> This is a well known problem with Vista and the Drivers.
> It has been discussed for a great deal of time on the NVIDIA website
> forums (and still continues)
>
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33671&start=100
>
> I have had this problem in the past and continue to get it whenever I
> "play" with the Registry, either by upgrading video drivers or using
> "tweak" software to improve performance of Vista.
>
> My problem is that after rebooting from (let's say) updating video
> drivers, the monitor works - shows BIOS screen, then the little green
> Windows boxes at the beginning of startup. Then, when you should get the
> circular Windows logo, the screen comes up with "no signal". I still get
> the sound signals that Windows Vista is starting up, but the screen
> remains blank.
>
> I have found that I can get the PC to go to Sleep Mode, then Resume it,
> and the monitor comes back! However the resolution is decreased. I have
> gone into Device Manager and noticed that the monitor thinks it is a NON
> Plug and Play device. Aha! Therein lies the rub!
>
> Windows has "forgotten" how to communicate to the monitor correctly!
>
> So far, fixing this is easy. Simply power off the monitor for a couple
> of minutes - while the PC is turned on. I also unplugged the power cord
> and the video cable, but don't know if that is necessary.
> When I plugged in the monitor and turned it on again, Windows comes up
> with "new hardware detected" and loads plug and play monitor drivers,
> and everything works correctly again.
>
> Cheers
> Gordy
>
> PS. I can't say that this will fix your problem. I had been tearing my
> hair out over a few months because of this. I had returned the PC to the
> shop I purchased it from. They had even changed video cards to an ATI card.
>
> It was only after reading the nVidia Forum, and (purely by chance)
> sleeping the PC and resuming, then looking in Device Manager did I work
> out my "fix"
>
> Is it a Vista problem? nVidia? ATI? Who knows!? But I bloody wish
> someone would fix it!
FYI,
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB
22inch LCD monitor using DVI.

Knud Rasmussen
December 24th 07, 08:52 AM
"Gorby" > skrev i meddelelsen
> Gorby wrote:
>> Knud Rasmussen wrote:
>>> HI - I have problems with the new Nvidia driver 169.25. My card is a
>>> 8800 GTS and the problem is that when I have installed the driver, just
>>> when vista is showing, the monitor shuts down. My monitor is a IBM G96.
>>> I have no problems with driver ver. 163.75. When I start in rec. mode, I
>>> can't see my monitor in my hardware monitor. Can anyone help me with
>>> this problem.
>>>
>>> KR
>> Hi Knud,
>> This is a well known problem with Vista and the Drivers.
>> It has been discussed for a great deal of time on the NVIDIA website
>> forums (and still continues)
>>
>> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33671&start=100
>>
>> I have had this problem in the past and continue to get it whenever I
>> "play" with the Registry, either by upgrading video drivers or using
>> "tweak" software to improve performance of Vista.
>>
>> My problem is that after rebooting from (let's say) updating video
>> drivers, the monitor works - shows BIOS screen, then the little green
>> Windows boxes at the beginning of startup. Then, when you should get the
>> circular Windows logo, the screen comes up with "no signal". I still get
>> the sound signals that Windows Vista is starting up, but the screen
>> remains blank.
>>
>> I have found that I can get the PC to go to Sleep Mode, then Resume it,
>> and the monitor comes back! However the resolution is decreased. I have
>> gone into Device Manager and noticed that the monitor thinks it is a NON
>> Plug and Play device. Aha! Therein lies the rub!
>>
>> Windows has "forgotten" how to communicate to the monitor correctly!
>>
>> So far, fixing this is easy. Simply power off the monitor for a couple of
>> minutes - while the PC is turned on. I also unplugged the power cord and
>> the video cable, but don't know if that is necessary.
>> When I plugged in the monitor and turned it on again, Windows comes up
>> with "new hardware detected" and loads plug and play monitor drivers, and
>> everything works correctly again.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gordy
>>
>> PS. I can't say that this will fix your problem. I had been tearing my
>> hair out over a few months because of this. I had returned the PC to the
>> shop I purchased it from. They had even changed video cards to an ATI
>> card.
>>
>> It was only after reading the nVidia Forum, and (purely by chance)
>> sleeping the PC and resuming, then looking in Device Manager did I work
>> out my "fix"
>>
>> Is it a Vista problem? nVidia? ATI? Who knows!? But I bloody wish someone
>> would fix it!
> FYI,
> I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
> GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB
> 22inch LCD monitor using DVI.

Hi Gordy

One of the advice given here, was to disconnect the s-video from the video
card, just unplug the cable, and it works. Now there is no problem, and I
connected it again after installing the driver, and again no problem. It was
the driver version 169.25 from Nvidia, but it gave me a slower PC, and when
I look at the TV there was bad colors. In Microsoft flight simulator X, I
got a very slow performance, so I went back to the old driver ver 163.75,
and now everything is working max. Merry christmas to you, and thank you for
the answers

KR