PDA

View Full Version : Does this CPU have Overheat Protection?

Crackles McFarly
December 7th 07, 10:31 PM
ASUS A8S-X motherboard.

I've searched the manual, PDF's and ASUS's website and cannot find
this info.

So, does it contain something similar to COP or any other overheat
protection for the CPU?

The CPU is an AMD 64 3200+ Venice Socket 939 if that helps.

Does the CPU have protection even if the motherboard does not?

Thank you.

Wes Newell
December 7th 07, 10:42 PM
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:31:13 -0500, Crackles McFarly wrote:

> ASUS A8S-X motherboard.
>
> I've searched the manual, PDF's and ASUS's website and cannot find this
> info.
>
> So, does it contain something similar to COP or any other overheat
> protection for the CPU?
>
> The CPU is an AMD 64 3200+ Venice Socket 939 if that helps.
>
> Does the CPU have protection even if the motherboard does not?
>

> Thank you.

All K8 cpu's have built in protection afaik. The fan died on my old hammer
core 3000+ and it shutdown without having shutdown set in the bios. I
noticed the heat rising but couldn't get the fan replaced in time. It
shutdown somewhere between 60-70C. Took a few minutes, but still not quiet
long enough to get a new fan on it before it went down. Needed about 30
more seconds. No resulting damage.