PDA

View Full Version : Sempron vs P4

Mac Cool
December 3rd 07, 10:13 PM
I built a computer for a neighbor a while back, but he had some rocky
times and ended up having to move; so I got stuck with the computer. It's
a basic system built on a Sempron 3000+ AM2 & ECS Geforce 6100S MB.

I have a four year old machine, P4 2.53 Ghz Dell system and I'm really
ready for a new machine. How does the Sempron 3000+ compare powerwise to
the 2.53Ghz P4? Debating whether I should keep the Sempron and use it. I
could always upgrade the processor down the road.

--
Mac Cool

General Schvantzkopf
December 3rd 07, 10:31 PM
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:13:22 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

> I built a computer for a neighbor a while back, but he had some rocky
> times and ended up having to move; so I got stuck with the computer.
> It's a basic system built on a Sempron 3000+ AM2 & ECS Geforce 6100S MB.
>
> I have a four year old machine, P4 2.53 Ghz Dell system and I'm really
> ready for a new machine. How does the Sempron 3000+ compare powerwise to
> the 2.53Ghz P4? Debating whether I should keep the Sempron and use it. I
> could always upgrade the processor down the road.

The Sempron machine is a socket AM2 so you could easily drop in an X2.
Drop in an X2 6000+ and you'll have a significant upgrade.

Mac Cool
December 3rd 07, 11:06 PM
General Schvantzkopf:

> The Sempron machine is a socket AM2 so you could easily drop in an X2.
> Drop in an X2 6000+ and you'll have a significant upgrade.

Just looking over some benchmarks, even a 4000+ X2 would be pretty
significant.

--
Mac Cool