PDA

View Full Version : 8500 GT Choppy H.264 Question

[email protected]'twantspam.com
November 25th 07, 05:08 PM
I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
Vista Home Premium
Core 2 Duo 6300
4 gigs ram
8500gt 512 meg video card
k-lite standard codec pack
Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.

When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it or
even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's web
site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
want on it.

Thanks,
Neil

Paul
November 25th 07, 07:09 PM
wrote:
> I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
> Vista Home Premium
> Core 2 Duo 6300
> 4 gigs ram
> 8500gt 512 meg video card
> k-lite standard codec pack
> Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.
>
> When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
> the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
> card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it or
> even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's web
> site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
> appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
> want on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

There is a review here. They used particular applications to test HD playback.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2977&p=2

The article here doesn't go into details as to what applications
will be able to use the acceleration feature.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_hd.html

Paul

Sharanga Dayananda
November 25th 07, 11:02 PM
Codec packs are really bad and should be avoided.

If you want H.264 acceleration you need Power DVD 7.3 Ultra ( not the normal
PowerDVD for DVD playback).

However this has issues with H.264 clips encoded with the x.264 encoder in
Matroska containers. It will playback HD-DVD and Blu-Ray H.264 material
perfectly though.

> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
> Vista Home Premium
> Core 2 Duo 6300
> 4 gigs ram
> 8500gt 512 meg video card
> k-lite standard codec pack
> Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.
>
> When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
> the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
> card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it
> or
> even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's
> web
> site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
> appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
> want on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Bigguy[_2_]
November 26th 07, 07:49 AM
wrote:
> I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
> Vista Home Premium
> Core 2 Duo 6300
> 4 gigs ram
> 8500gt 512 meg video card
> k-lite standard codec pack
> Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.
>
> When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
> the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
> card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it or
> even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's web
> site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
> appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
> want on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
Try playing it with VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org/ - it's
a lot lighter on the CPU than some...

Guy

DaveW[_5_]
November 27th 07, 12:29 AM
That CPU and video card model are NOT high powered top end units. You do
NOT have "plenty of horsepower to play whatever I want." Those are midrange
units, so turn down the video effects on games.

--
--DaveW
> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway computer with the following specs:
> Vista Home Premium
> Core 2 Duo 6300
> 4 gigs ram
> 8500gt 512 meg video card
> k-lite standard codec pack
> Hanns G 28" monitor 1900x1200 resolution.
>
> When I try to play hi def, it pegs both my processors at 100% and studders
> the sound and video to the point that I can't watch it. I know that this
> card has hardware decoding for H.264 but I can't find a way to enable it
> or
> even see if it is enabled. I'm running the latest drivers from nvidia's
> web
> site. I can't seem to get this resolved. Any help would really be
> appreciated. This pc should have plenty of horsepower to play whatever I
> want on it.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

[email protected]'twantspam.com
November 27th 07, 10:34 AM
I wrote this regarding hi def playback. I'm NOT a gamer. I have another
computer (being used as a media center)that has the same processor and intel
on board graphics that plays 1080p with no problem. I'm trying to simply
play video. This computer should be hi-end enough for that.

First of One[_2_]
November 28th 07, 08:00 AM
As Paul indicated, hardware H.264 decoding isn't automatic, nor is it free.
What nVidia (and ATi) had done is provide the APIs to player app vendors
like Cyberlink, Intervideo, and Nero.

Download CoreAVC here: (http://mirror.edskes.net/ , about half-way down the
page). It's a very fast software H.264 decoder, comparable to hardware
decoders.