PDA

View Full Version : Why does my 7900 GTO run Crysis so well?

johns
November 20th 07, 08:51 AM
Action is very smooth. Graphics is very clear and
highly detailed. FPS is in the 30s during action
scenes, and even higher when in quieter areas.
I have 4 High settings .. rest Medium. Latest
NVidia driver, and latest dll-library for WinXP.
Also X2 Microsoft patch and AMD patch for
dual core 4400. I have done some minor tweaks
to the game.cfg file, but that is all. And I"m not
running any of the old card settings like AA.
And I'm not seeing any of the end game bugs
.. like falling through the carrier floor ... that
the 8800 guys have. Was considering an upgrade
to the 8800, but why do it if my 7900 GTO is
running with no problems on my present system?

johns

Jarablue
November 20th 07, 09:08 AM
Most users systems are configured assways backwards. Congrats. Crysis is
indeed awesome. My newphews are in heaven playing it.
Awesome and have fun!

"johns" > wrote in message
> Action is very smooth. Graphics is very clear and
> highly detailed. FPS is in the 30s during action
> scenes, and even higher when in quieter areas.
> I have 4 High settings .. rest Medium. Latest
> NVidia driver, and latest dll-library for WinXP.
> Also X2 Microsoft patch and AMD patch for
> dual core 4400. I have done some minor tweaks
> to the game.cfg file, but that is all. And I"m not
> running any of the old card settings like AA.
> And I'm not seeing any of the end game bugs
> .. like falling through the carrier floor ... that
> the 8800 guys have. Was considering an upgrade
> to the 8800, but why do it if my 7900 GTO is
> running with no problems on my present system?
>
> johns

John Adams[_2_]
November 20th 07, 09:25 AM
johns wrote:
> Action is very smooth. Graphics is very clear and
> highly detailed. FPS is in the 30s during action
> scenes, and even higher when in quieter areas.
> I have 4 High settings .. rest Medium. Latest
> NVidia driver, and latest dll-library for WinXP.
> Also X2 Microsoft patch and AMD patch for
> dual core 4400. I have done some minor tweaks
> to the game.cfg file, but that is all. And I"m not
> running any of the old card settings like AA.
> And I'm not seeing any of the end game bugs
> .. like falling through the carrier floor ... that
> the 8800 guys have. Was considering an upgrade
> to the 8800, but why do it if my 7900 GTO is
> running with no problems on my present system?
>
> johns

Now run it at 1680x1050 instead of 640x480.

Mr.E Solved!
November 20th 07, 03:27 PM
johns wrote:

> And I"m not running any of the old card settings like AA.

Of course, who needs FSAA for scene realism, just keep your character in
perpetual motion so you never actually see jaggies.

Silly people who think they can see 32-bit color! The human eye can only
see 16-bits of color, in each eye, so if you only use your good
eye...you only need 16-bit rendering, speeding up Crysis by 100 bit-percent.

Don't get me started on trilinear filtering and its wicked wasteful
ways, outdoor scenes don't need trilinear filtering...only
bilinear...either it's an indoor texture not...there is no "third"
option. Waste of cycles. Don't use it, get lots more speed.

Impmon
November 20th 07, 05:08 PM
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:25:20 GMT, John Adams > wrote:

>Now run it at 1680x1050 instead of 640x480.

Heh at that resolution and with everything cranked, even the best
Nvidia video card will be reduced to a crawl.

johns
November 20th 07, 05:42 PM
Yep. I kicked all that stuff down. Sounds right.
Have res at 1280 x 800 widescreen. Jaggies
are very slight, and I tweaked shading in the
cfg file. That is the big killer for some reason.
Saw it in Gothic 3 too. Nobody can run shading
above medium ... and it doesn't change anything
above low. My settings are giving me very
clear and clean images, and there is no screen
lag at all. Color is very good, but not as good
as I see in Gothic 3. I think that is because
HDR in Crysis is only available in Dx10. I see
no bloom in Crysis like I see in G3. Actually,
if I could figure it out, I think Shader 2.0 is
the final step to getting HDR, and much higher
FPS under WinXP. I wonder if the Shader in
Crysis isn't backing down for my card ... and
that is making a huge difference. I'm getting
a Dx9 high quality image and game FPS
because the backing down function is optimizing
for my card and system ??? I'm not complaining
either.

johns

DaveW[_5_]
November 21st 07, 12:48 AM
While your video image of scenes in the game may be excellent, you are
nevertheless NOT seeing anywhere near what the game is capable of displaying
when seen on a DX 10 capable video card, which yours is not.

--
--DaveW
"johns" > wrote in message
> Action is very smooth. Graphics is very clear and
> highly detailed. FPS is in the 30s during action
> scenes, and even higher when in quieter areas.
> I have 4 High settings .. rest Medium. Latest
> NVidia driver, and latest dll-library for WinXP.
> Also X2 Microsoft patch and AMD patch for
> dual core 4400. I have done some minor tweaks
> to the game.cfg file, but that is all. And I"m not
> running any of the old card settings like AA.
> And I'm not seeing any of the end game bugs
> .. like falling through the carrier floor ... that
> the 8800 guys have. Was considering an upgrade
> to the 8800, but why do it if my 7900 GTO is
> running with no problems on my present system?
>
> johns

John Adams[_2_]
November 21st 07, 05:55 AM
Impmon wrote:

> Heh at that resolution and with everything cranked, even the best
> Nvidia video card will be reduced to a crawl.

Yea, and because I am not willing to run my LCD outside of its native
res I am stuck with poor frame rates in games like Crysis unless I dial
the details back quite a bit.

johns
November 25th 07, 10:15 PM
I have a lab using 8600 GTS cards in XP, and the
Crysis demo set to all HIGH. Mobo is latest Intel
X38 chipset .. probably the best box out there.
And I don't see a bit of difference in Crysis in that
system, and on my 7900 GTO system. None ??
I think my system is optimized for XP, and
nothing is going higher in Crysis without Dx10.
I think Crytek simply turned it off. There is no
HDR ... that is obvious when compared to Gothic3.
And the detail in Crysis is also muted when
compared to Gothic3. My tweaking is turning on
what Crytek turned off. So the game is just not
maxed under XP by choice of Crytek wanting
Crysis to be the Flagship game for Vista. I
am slowly turning it on ... and so are others
over at the InCrysis.com site ... by tweaking
the cfg files rather than loading big shaders.
Be interesting to see if we can get Crysis up
to the level of Gothic 3 doing that.

johns