PDA

View Full Version : Dual Cores Showing as Singles

November 19th 07, 07:41 PM
When you hit ctrl-alt-del and click the "performance" tab do you see
one or
two graphs?

We have several blades that have two dual core processors on each of
them. Two of them seem to be working properly and will show us all
four graphs, all the others will only show two. We have tried
swapping the chips out and checking the BIOS settings. Can anyone
give suggestions on what to do to get these machines to recognize all
the cores?

Benjamin Gawert
November 19th 07, 08:25 PM
* :
> When you hit ctrl-alt-del and click the "performance" tab do you see
> one or
> two graphs?

I see eight graphs.

> We have several blades that have two dual core processors on each of
> them. Two of them seem to be working properly and will show us all
> four graphs, all the others will only show two. We have tried
> swapping the chips out and checking the BIOS settings. Can anyone
> give suggestions on what to do to get these machines to recognize all
> the cores?

My suggestion is that if you want help then you should provide at least
some basic details: what CPUs, what blades, what OS (I assume Windows
but which version) and so on.

Benjamin

mr deo
November 26th 07, 11:13 AM
> > When you hit ctrl-alt-del and click the "performance" tab do you see
> > one or
> > two graphs?
>
> I see eight graphs.
>
> > We have several blades that have two dual core processors on each of
> > them. Two of them seem to be working properly and will show us all
> > four graphs, all the others will only show two. We have tried
> > swapping the chips out and checking the BIOS settings. Can anyone
> > give suggestions on what to do to get these machines to recognize all
> > the cores?
>
> My suggestion is that if you want help then you should provide at least
> some basic details: what CPUs, what blades, what OS (I assume Windows
> but which version) and so on.
>
> Benjamin

I would worry if tech's were swapping cpu's around without knowing how to
check if the OS was seeing the correct number of cpu's :/...

But I do have a question..
eight graphs?
dual-core p4's?... or do the core2duo's come with HT turn'd on now :/

mr deo
November 26th 07, 11:18 AM
> But I do have a question..
> eight graphs?
> dual-core p4's?... or do the core2duo's come with HT turn'd on now :/

Hmm
I was thinking mainstream consumer :P..
Itanium(ugh) and Xeon both have these types of chips :/.

Benjamin Gawert
November 26th 07, 07:09 PM
* mr deo:

> I would worry if tech's were swapping cpu's around without knowing how to
> check if the OS was seeing the correct number of cpu's :/...

That's definitely something to worry about.

> But I do have a question..
> eight graphs?

Yes.

> dual-core p4's?

Yes (was called "Pentium D"). And as the P4 only worked in single cpu
config.

> ... or do the core2duo's come with HT turn'd on now :/

No, they don't.

For getting eight graphs under Windows on a two socket system you need
either two of the old and outdated XEON 5100 (dual core Netburst XEON
with Hyperthreading) or two XEON 5300/5400 (Core2 based quadcore XEON).

Benjamin