PDA

View Full Version : Understanding dual view??

surface9
November 18th 07, 07:57 AM
I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?

I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
dualview is supposed to mean?

Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.

GTS
November 18th 07, 12:13 PM
>I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
> and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
> me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
> gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
> the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
>
> I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
> monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?
>
> I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
> at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
> have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
> in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
> dualview is supposed to mean?
>
> Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.
For your purposes you should use horizontal span - the display treated as
one monitor, the horizontal resolution the sum of both monitors' horizontal
resolution.

Dualview is different, each display is treated as a separate entity. It is
also the least efficient mode for hardware acceleration.
GTS

Jeffrey Kaplan
November 18th 07, 05:08 PM
Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, surface9 said:

> I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
> and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
> me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
> gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
> the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
>
> I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
> monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?
>
> I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
> at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
> have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
> in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
> dualview is supposed to mean?
>
> Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.

Dualview does basically what you found. It treats the two monitors as
two monitors. Taskbar only on the one you designated as primary, and
you can run applications in either monitor. The nVidia Control Panel
describes it in the settings as "Configured independently from each
other (Dualview)". What you want is Horizontal Span, which is
described as "as one large horizontal desktop".

The problem with horizontal spanning is the gap between the monitors.
Horizontal span is a neat effect, but it makes it harder to actually
use whatever is being displayed full-screen.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 52. When the medical examiner
announces that the victim was bitten or eaten by "something weird that
I've never seen before, probably some kind of animal", avoid the area
where the biting/eating took place. If the victim is still alive, avoid
the victim except under broad daylight.

Mr.E Solved!
November 18th 07, 06:24 PM
surface9 wrote:
> I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
> and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
> me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
> gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
> the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
>
> I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
> monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?
>
> I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
> at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
> have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
> in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
> dualview is supposed to mean?
>
> Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.

Hmm, methinks you did not run the multiple-monitor set-up wizard. The
wizard does all of this for you, with in depth explanations and multiple
nView settings, which you can save and recall and adjust, and tailor
individual settings for each application, it's very handy.

You can do exactly what you want with your set-up, when configured
properly. Use the Wizard! Of course, you need to install the latest
drivers, which have the wizard, and this requires the new control panel,
which your poopy card might have issues with. (the 5200 is dubious at best).

John
November 18th 07, 10:22 PM
I don't think the others answered your question, so let me give it a try.

With DualView, a fullscreened application will do fullscreen in only one of
the two monitors. However--and I don't believe the others conveyed
this--you can spread an application across both monitors by first windowing
it (the opposite of fullscreen), then stretch its borders across both
monitors. You can do that. Your application could be 1536x1024. There
would be the break between the monitors, but there is no loss of data
between the two monitors unless the horizontal width of the monitors isn't
set right. The best application I have for that is Excel. I can get a very
visible rectangular cell go to 50 columns wide by 50 columns high. It does
a good job of filling up even though one monitor has the taskbar up. If you
want to fullscreen on the second monitor, un-fullscreen it, drag it to the
second monitor, then fullscreen it; it will fullscreen in the second monitor
now. I can stretch other applications than Excel, but you then have the
problem of useless space, as in Word or Firefox. A webpage isn't usually
designed for very wide windows, so there is a lot of white space and a two
monitor setup for that is useless. However, here you could use two
Firefoxes instead of tabs--a window on each screen. You can drag links to
the browser on the other monitor.

And Mr. E Solved! is absolutely right. You must be up to date on drivers,
etc. See my post for 11/17 where BTNewsGroups pointed me to a hotfix for my
FSX application. I think nVidia is now up to date on any problems I have
had.

You can also put applications that run along the margins into your second
monitor.

And I'm even mixing monitors. My primary is a 22"wide (for Vista) 1600x1200
(rounded) and the other is an older 17" 1200x1000. The wallpaper is
duplicated and one is stretched more than the other. Vista Ultimate
DreamScene (video wallpaper) works well on both--at the same time.

My Microsoft Flight Simulator X will let me have the flight scene on the 22"
monitor and the instrument panel (or GPS, etc.) on the 17" monitor. Very
nice.

There is a slight difference in color quality, but nVidia Control Panel has
tools to work on that. Meanwhile, it is very slight, in my opinion.

All in all, it is very nicely done.

John

"surface9" > wrote in message
>I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
> and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
> me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
> gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
> the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
>
> I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
> monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?
>
> I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
> at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
> have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
> in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
> dualview is supposed to mean?
>
> Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.

surface9
November 19th 07, 01:11 AM
On Nov 18, 3:22 pm, "John" > wrote:
> [...]
>
> >I just got another monitor, same model as my first one (samsung 213t),
> > and I tried to set up my Nvidia fx 5200 card for dual view. It gives
> > me the desktop on one monitor, and when I click on an application, it
> > gives me the application on the other monitor, keeping the desktop on
> > the first monitor. Is that the way it is supposed to work?
>
> > I was thinking I could get the application to go fullscreen on BOTH
> > monitors, and let me have a much higher resolution - am I dreaming?
>
> > I would really like to pivot both of them, and then run each monitor
> > at 768X1024, giving me a total of 1536X1024 (both monitors), and then
> > have the application, such as mozilla's firefox, utilize both screens
> > in full screen mode as if it were one single screen - isn't this what
> > dualview is supposed to mean?
>
> > Inform me, please someone knowledgable as to nvidia's dualview.

I tried Horizontal Span and, yes, it worked in landscape mode just
fine. But I need it for portrait mode (rotated 90), and, when I do
that, only the primary monitor lights up, and the secondary monitor
goes dark (no signal). In this mode, the primary monitor has ALL the
information, so that horizontal span is effectively nullified. There
is something about portrait mode that negates the horizontal span
feature. I tried vertical span also (just to see), and it behaves the
same way - just fine in landscape mode, but, not in portrait mode.

So I have to ask - has ANYONE gotten away with horizontal scan in
portriat mode on both monitors? If not, then, I can always try the
dual view (as suggested by John (stewartweb), but, when I had it set
up that way, I didn't see how I could drag from one screen to the
other one - it didn't look like the mouse would jump monitors - I'll
try it again.

The application I had in mind was AC3D, where I could get a lot of
screen area for viewing 3d models. I also wanted to be able to go to
yahoo and see everything without having to scroll.

Thanks.

John
November 19th 07, 03:50 AM
"surface9" > wrote in message
> [...]
> information, so that horizontal span is effectively nullified. There
> is something about portrait mode that negates the horizontal span
> feature. I tried vertical span also (just to see), and it behaves the
> same way - just fine in landscape mode, but, not in portrait mode.
>
> So I have to ask - has ANYONE gotten away with horizontal scan in
> portriat mode on both monitors? If not, then, I can always try the
> dual view (as suggested by John (stewartweb), but, when I had it set
> up that way, I didn't see how I could drag from one screen to the
> other one - it didn't look like the mouse would jump monitors - I'll
> try it again.
>
> The application I had in mind was AC3D, where I could get a lot of
> screen area for viewing 3d models. I also wanted to be able to go to
> yahoo and see everything without having to scroll.

Maybe someone else knows, but I don't: What is "horizontal span"? Are you
referring to the monitor adjustment?

By "portrait mode," you must mean you want to use your monitors turned 90
degrees. I do recall in the setup that you can do this. And you can even
stack your monitors. You would then have the two monitors in portrait mode
where you could reduce scrolling because it is all on the screen. And
having two monitors side by side would probably work because they are the
same size, especially where they come together. Is this right?

After all that, if this is what you mean, sorry, but I haven't tried it. It
could be a black hole that nVidia hasn't perfected yet. From what I have
read about DualView, it seems what I think you want to do is within their
objectives.

John

surface9
November 19th 07, 06:15 AM
On Nov 18, 8:50 pm, "John" > wrote:
> [...]
> > yahoo and see everything without having to scroll.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Maybe someone else knows, but I don't: What is "horizontal span"? Are you
> referring to the monitor adjustment?
>
> By "portrait mode," you must mean you want to use your monitors turned 90
> degrees. I do recall in the setup that you can do this. And you can even
> stack your monitors. You would then have the two monitors in portrait mode
> where you could reduce scrolling because it is all on the screen. And
> having two monitors side by side would probably work because they are the
> same size, especially where they come together. Is this right?
>
> After all that, if this is what you mean, sorry, but I haven't tried it. It
> could be a black hole that nVidia hasn't perfected yet. From what I have
> read about DualView, it seems what I think you want to do is within their

What I mean by "horizontal span" is where you select nvidia display
and it offers you "dual view"/"horizontal span"/vertical
span"/"clone"/"single view".

When I had both of my monitors in landscape mode (normal 4X3), then by
selecting "horizontal span", then I get to choose digital-analog or
analog-digital (to decide which monitor will display the leftmost part
of the "spanned" display area. Then I get a giant desktop which is
2048X768 (since each monitor is at 1024X768), and my mouse goes from
one monitor right on over to the other one just as if there was one
double wide monitor. This is the mode I want, and when I start any
application, it gets the full "spanned" screen area (2048X768) when I
click "full screen".

But, if I select "rotate 90" (portrait mode), then I no longer have
the option to select "horizontal span" - I only can have dual view/
clone/or single view.

I was hoping to get 1536X1024 (double wide in portrait mode), and I
discovered that nvidia doesn't allow that, so, I intend to try the
dual view and see if I can expand the application's windows to stretch
over to the secondary moniter (in dual view).

Jeffrey Kaplan
November 19th 07, 07:22 PM
Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, surface9 said:

> I was hoping to get 1536X1024 (double wide in portrait mode), and I
> discovered that nvidia doesn't allow that, so, I intend to try the
> dual view and see if I can expand the application's windows to stretch
> over to the secondary moniter (in dual view).

If you're using XP, you can do this. In the nView Properties (NOTE:
NOT the nView Control Panel!), select the User Interface tab. In the
"Title bar buttons" box, enable the option for "Full-desktop maximize".

This entire dialog box is not available, so far as I can tell, in
Vista.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"You got a plan?" "Let's try not to get killed." "Brilliant." (Cmdr.
Ivanova and Capt. Sheridan, B5 "The Long Dark")

John
November 20th 07, 09:34 PM
Jeffrey Kaplan is right: it is not available in Vista. You can certainly
rotate both windows, but you can't drag from side-to-side when you have it
in vertical orientation.

John