PDA

View Full Version : Disable EDID ?

Bigguy
November 13th 07, 02:55 PM
Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?

I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching matrix;
this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads the
EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...

Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?

TIA

Guy

deimos[_2_]
November 14th 07, 02:16 AM
Bigguy wrote:
> Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?
>
> I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching matrix;
> this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads the
> EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
> It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...
>
> Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
> force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?
>

> TIA
>

> Guy

I've seen some home theater buffs use "DVI black boxes" which basically
send out a fake EDID. I don't know exactly what they're called, but I
suppose this could be used to trick it into thinking there's multiple
displays always. Check avforums.com and similar. In a quick search I
found this:

http://www.kvms.com/products/EXT-DVI-EDID.asp

Bigguy
November 14th 07, 02:03 PM
deimos wrote:
> Bigguy wrote:
>> Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?
>>
>> I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching
>> matrix;
>> this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads
>> the EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
>> It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...
>>
>> Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
>> force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?
>>

>> TIA
>>

>> Guy
>
> I've seen some home theater buffs use "DVI black boxes" which basically
> send out a fake EDID. I don't know exactly what they're called, but I
> suppose this could be used to trick it into thinking there's multiple
> displays always. Check avforums.com and similar. In a quick search I
> found this:
>
> http://www.kvms.com/products/EXT-DVI-EDID.asp

Thanks for that...

I'll give it a try.

Other possibility is to hack the graphics driver's .inf file...?

Guy

deimos[_2_]
November 15th 07, 01:29 AM
Bigguy wrote:
> deimos wrote:
>> Bigguy wrote:
>>> Is it possible to disable EDID on the DVI outs?
>>>
>>> I'm sending two 1920 x 1080 (HD) signals via DVI to a DVI switching
>>> matrix;
>>> this works fine unless the PC is rebooted - it then (faslely) reads
>>> the EDID, sees only one display and sets single nVidia output to WXGA...
>>> It is then neccessary to set both outputs up manually... tiresome...
>>>
>>> Is there any way in nVidia drivers (Vista OS) to disable EDID and/or
>>> force nVidia card to only/always output two 1920 x 1080 signals?
>>>

>>> TIA
>>>

>>> Guy
>>
>> I've seen some home theater buffs use "DVI black boxes" which
>> basically send out a fake EDID. I don't know exactly what they're
>> called, but I suppose this could be used to trick it into thinking
>> there's multiple displays always. Check avforums.com and similar.
>> In a quick search I found this:
>>
>> http://www.kvms.com/products/EXT-DVI-EDID.asp
>
> Thanks for that...
>
> I'll give it a try.
>
> Other possibility is to hack the graphics driver's .inf file...?
>
> Guy

I'm not sure about that; although mode timings and defaults are found in
the .inf, I don't think you can override the low level behavior built
into the DVI standard. You could do something like force a constant
mode (some odd widescreen res at a nonstandard refresh), but I don't
think you can alter EDID info.

Bigguy
November 15th 07, 09:42 AM

Also http://www.kramer-us.com/indexes/item.asp?name=VA-1DVI