PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking 7950GT

Moo[_2_]
October 27th 07, 04:15 PM
I want to overclock my 7950GT AGP card, I've ran ATItool and it gave me
a top core speed of around 639mhz (from default of 550), the memory was
running fine and I stopped it going further at 794mhz (From default of 650).

I know that the card will start to produce errors when the clocks go too
high, but is there a realstic limit I should be looking at (For the
memory at least), should I allow the memory to continue until it
produces errors or leave it where it is now?

--

My blog - http://degeneratemoo.livejournal.com

John Adams
October 27th 07, 09:52 PM
Moo wrote:
> I want to overclock my 7950GT AGP card, I've ran ATItool and it gave me
> a top core speed of around 639mhz (from default of 550), the memory was
> running fine and I stopped it going further at 794mhz (From default of
> 650).
>
> I know that the card will start to produce errors when the clocks go too
> high, but is there a realstic limit I should be looking at (For the
> memory at least), should I allow the memory to continue until it
> produces errors or leave it where it is now?

You do run the risk of damaging it by doing it but the chances are slim
so it is your choice. Overclock until artifacts appear then back it off
from there. It's just like overclocking a cpu, you OC until it won't
boot then back off from there. That's if you want maximum overclock.
Some poeple will even modify the voltage to get a higher clock. I don't
bother with all that stuff anymore as the gains are not all that
noticable anyway.

First of One[_2_]
October 29th 07, 04:20 AM
Keep cranking up the core and memory individually until you see errors, or
"artifacts" as they are commonly called.

Fundamentally the philosophy of overclocking is to push the clocks to the
maximum capable from each individual card. Don't be looking for realistic
limits, ballpark figures, etc.