PDA

View Full Version : My CPU fan failed

Harry[_5_]
October 18th 07, 09:39 PM
I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
booting Windows.

I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
fixed that.

When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.

My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.

Still no problems.

Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?

thanks

kyi
October 18th 07, 09:58 PM
Harry wrote:

> I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
> After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
> booting Windows.
>
> I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
> I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
> I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
> fixed that.
>
> When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.
>
> My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
> Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
> I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.
>
> Still no problems.
>
> Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?
>

> thanks
Sounds fine. Was there a lot of dust build up or did the fan just die? A
good high quality fan will last longer then a cheapie. Learned that lesson
my self.

J Garrell

Harry[_5_]
October 18th 07, 10:22 PM
"kyi" > wrote in message
. ..
> Harry wrote:
>
> > I have an xp2200+ athlon cpu. I have 2 exhaust fans near the cpu.
> > After using my pc for about 10 minutes it froze. I rebooted. It froze on
> > booting Windows.
> >
> > I went into the bios, I thought maybe a voltage problem.
> > I saw the chip core temp of 90 degrees and falling.
> > I also noticed that there was no overheat shutdown protection enabled. I
> > fixed that.
> >
> > When I opened my case, I saw that the fan had failed. So I replaced fan.
> >
> > My system powers up just fine now, It works without a problem.
> > Chip surface temp normally Idles around 30 degrees.
> > I ran cpu burn and got it to 45 degrees.
> >
> > Still no problems.
> >
> > Do you think I got away without damaging my CPU ?
> >

> > thanks
> Sounds fine. Was there a lot of dust build up or did the fan just die? A
> good high quality fan will last longer then a cheapie. Learned that lesson
> my self.
>
> J Garrell

Just a cheapie fan. It was stopped. I touched it and it began to spin.

once turning it was ok. If I stopped it by hand, it would turn again except
for one point.

there seemed to be a dead spot where it would not turn again unless moved
manually.

When I last powered off it must have landed right in that spot.

it's in the bin now

I didn't fancy the cpu letting me down in the future, thats why I tried that
cpu burn program to try and stress my chip.

It passes ok.

thanks

mr deo
October 19th 07, 04:08 PM
As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it will
likely be okay....
You might have taken a few years life off of it ;).. but who cares if it's
running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?

Kaptain cirk
October 19th 07, 04:30 PM
"mr deo" > wrote in message
> As long as the HS is attached and your running at default settings, it
will
> likely be okay....
> You might have taken a few years life off of it ;).. but who cares if it's
> running in 2020 vs 2030 eh?

I run it at slightly lower voltage, but not overclocked.

It was a year or 2 ago when I set it up. I seem to remember that knocking
..05 volts off lowered the chip temp quite a bit.

Its rock solid and stable. Windoze 98 second edition and all is well

It usually sits 10-15 above ambient

system temp is usually 20 above ambient.