PDA

View Full Version : Best desktop search ?

Kevin Weaver
October 17th 07, 04:09 AM
What is a good desktop search for vista ?
I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard drive
and want more then this offers.

TIA

Ed M.
October 17th 07, 02:08 PM
"Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
. net...
> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard
> drive and want more then this offers.
>
> TIA

You are not going to get much more. I have had Vista Ultimate on my system
on two different occaisions and should have learned more the first time. I
am back with XP Pro and very happy. Maybe after SP1 I will give it a try
again. There is a Vista ng if you want to try it. Not a lot of help there
for me and I tested Vista since the first Alpha through the RC.

Ed

Conor[_2_]
October 17th 07, 04:04 PM
In article >, Kevin
Weaver says...
> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard drive
> and want more then this offers.
>
> TIA

Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Kevin Weaver
October 18th 07, 01:41 AM
yea ok..

"Conor" > wrote in message
> In article >, Kevin
> Weaver says...
>> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
>> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard
>> drive
>> and want more then this offers.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Mr.E Solved!
October 18th 07, 02:03 AM
Conor wrote:
> In article >, Kevin
> Weaver says...
>> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
>> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard drive
>> and want more then this offers.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.

Scary if true.

Kevin Weaver
October 18th 07, 07:25 AM
"Mr.E Solved!" > wrote in message
. ..
> Conor wrote:
>> In article >, Kevin
>> Weaver says...
>>> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
>>> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard
>>> drive and want more then this offers.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.
>>

> Scary if true.

Very. If that is the best. I'll go without. The pounding of the hard drive
while it Indexes sucks. Google's offering is light years better. But I don't
like that as well.

Augustus
October 19th 07, 06:06 AM
"Conor" > wrote in message
> In article >, Kevin
> Weaver says...
>> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
>> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard
>> drive
>> and want more then this offers.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.

It certainly gives your HDD's a constant thrashing non-stop for an eternity,
if thats what better is. It was one of the numerous nails in the Vista
coffin for me. It doesn't find thing's better than Google. System overhead
way higher. Like the other poster, I find Google to be obtrusive. Unless SP1
for Vista is a major overhaul and paradigm rethink, which is unlikely, it'll
stay off anything I own. The only concievable reason to have it is for DX10,
and DX10 vs DX9.0c visual differences are minor, to say the least.

Geoff
October 22nd 07, 11:10 AM
"Kevin Weaver" > wrote in message
et...
> yea ok..
>
> "Conor" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Kevin
>> Weaver says...
>>> What is a good desktop search for vista ?
>>> I turned of vista's indexing as I'm tired of the trashing of the hard
>>> drive
>>> and want more then this offers.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Vistas offering is far better than anything you can add third party.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

and

ya, vista built in crap prob *is* the best desktop search
not that i'v tryed vista much, but it sounds like the fast find thingy that
was in office 97
so turn it off, and searchnig for stuff takes some time, instead of being
already indexed, big deal lol

google desktop is a big bloated load of crap too, it was using 150 meg of
ram on vista machine i cleaned up a while ago, and that was at boot time