PDA

View Full Version : Two Graphics Cards...

Ian Bethell[_2_]
October 5th 07, 09:14 PM
Right, I currently have a PCI Express GF 7300 LE Graphics card

I have on order... a ASUS 8600GT DVI + DVI + HDTV PCI X16 Card.

My mohterboard is a ASUS P5B Deluxe.

What I want to do is use the ASUS Card connected to my left hand DVI Monitor
and by COMPONENT VIDEO to my 1080p Projector in order to run Overlay mode I
guess for watching videos from my pc,. (I guess it can do this easily as
standard)

Also, I want to use the currently installed 7300 LE Card to run an extended
desktop to my Right hand DVI Monitor.

Can this be done?

Will the drivers currently installed for the 7300 LE Work with the 8600GT?
Or do I need to prepare new drivers for this card when I install it.

I'm using Vista Business x64.

Cheers in advance.

Augustus
October 6th 07, 01:45 AM
> Will the drivers currently installed for the 7300 LE Work with the 8600GT?
> Or do I need to prepare new drivers for this card when I install it.
>
> I'm using Vista Business x64.

This is not a situation I'm fully versed in, and some others with more
experience in this area will no doubt give specifics, but I do know that the
8xxx series cards require different drivers than the other cards do, so I'm
certain you'll have to install drivers specific for the 8600GT.

First of One[_2_]
October 6th 07, 03:49 AM
"Ian Bethell" > wrote in message
> What I want to do is use the ASUS Card connected to my left hand DVI
> Monitor and by COMPONENT VIDEO to my 1080p Projector in order to run
> Overlay mode I guess for watching videos from my pc,. (I guess it can do
> this easily as standard)
>
> Also, I want to use the currently installed 7300 LE Card to run an
> extended desktop to my Right hand DVI Monitor.

This configuration will work.

> Will the drivers currently installed for the 7300 LE Work with the 8600GT?
> Or do I need to prepare new drivers for this card when I install it.

Depends on what drivers you have installed right now. The newest 163.69
Forceware drivers support both the 8600GT and 7300LE:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.69.html . However, an earlier
driver set may not have supported both cards.

Ian Bethell[_2_]
October 11th 07, 08:48 PM
Well, got this set-up working.

Have one monitor and HD output on the 8600 Card, and an extended monitor on
my 7300LE card.

Works as expected... EXCEPT...

There is no Full screen Overlay feature ANYWHERE to send the video to my HD
Output.

Apparently this feature is missing from the Nvidia Cantrol panel in vista.

Nor is there any options for nview display manager... I want to be able to
right click the applications on the taskbar and then "Send to monitor 1"
etc.

Gets a bit annoying seeing as my projector is in another room and I have to
drag media player accross, then double click for ful screen etc.

Any ideas on this?

"First of One" > wrote in message
> "Ian Bethell" > wrote in message
>> What I want to do is use the ASUS Card connected to my left hand DVI
>> Monitor and by COMPONENT VIDEO to my 1080p Projector in order to run
>> Overlay mode I guess for watching videos from my pc,. (I guess it can do
>> this easily as standard)
>>
>> Also, I want to use the currently installed 7300 LE Card to run an
>> extended desktop to my Right hand DVI Monitor.
>
> This configuration will work.
>
>> Will the drivers currently installed for the 7300 LE Work with the
>> 8600GT? Or do I need to prepare new drivers for this card when I install
>> it.
>
> Depends on what drivers you have installed right now. The newest 163.69
> Forceware drivers support both the 8600GT and 7300LE:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.69.html . However, an
> earlier driver set may not have supported both cards.

First of One[_2_]
October 13th 07, 01:37 AM
Is the HD output set up to clone the monitor? That way the projector will
display everything that's on your monitor, including full-screen videos.
This is how I set up my "HTPC" with a GeForce 6800LE.

If you must run the HD output on an extended desktop instead of clone mode,
try the utility Ultramon, which is more powerful than nView.

"Ian Bethell" > wrote in message
> Well, got this set-up working.
>
> Have one monitor and HD output on the 8600 Card, and an extended monitor
> on my 7300LE card.
>
> Works as expected... EXCEPT...
>
> There is no Full screen Overlay feature ANYWHERE to send the video to my
> HD Output.
>
> Apparently this feature is missing from the Nvidia Cantrol panel in vista.
>
> Nor is there any options for nview display manager... I want to be able to
> right click the applications on the taskbar and then "Send to monitor 1"
> etc.
>
> Gets a bit annoying seeing as my projector is in another room and I have
> to drag media player accross, then double click for ful screen etc.
>
> Any ideas on this?
>

> "First of One" > wrote in message
>> "Ian Bethell" > wrote in message
>>> What I want to do is use the ASUS Card connected to my left hand DVI
>>> Monitor and by COMPONENT VIDEO to my 1080p Projector in order to run
>>> Overlay mode I guess for watching videos from my pc,. (I guess it can do
>>> this easily as standard)
>>>
>>> Also, I want to use the currently installed 7300 LE Card to run an
>>> extended desktop to my Right hand DVI Monitor.
>>
>> This configuration will work.
>>
>>> Will the drivers currently installed for the 7300 LE Work with the
>>> 8600GT? Or do I need to prepare new drivers for this card when I install
>>> it.
>>
>> Depends on what drivers you have installed right now. The newest 163.69
>> Forceware drivers support both the 8600GT and 7300LE:
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_163.69.html . However, an
>> earlier driver set may not have supported both cards.
>>

>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

Ian Bethell[_2_]
October 20th 07, 09:25 PM
Well, clone isn't useable as I need the output to be 1920x 1080, and I tried
Ultramon, but it didn't work that well at all. I am running Vista x64 and I
couldn't get any numbers in the monitors in the display settings.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for nVidia to pull their fingers out and
get nView vista-ready.

Anyone else know of a solution to zoom/overlay and the ability to send
windows to different monitors from the taskbar?