PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GeForce 3

September 29th 07, 01:16 PM
Am looking for a GeForce 3 to replace an nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB, which is
a stock Dell OEM, Diamond Viper 770. The platform is a dual 500MHz Xeon
workstation with SCSI hard drives.. still working GREAT, running Win2k
Pro. Application is mainly for FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot
more FPS, but more VRAM and hence, more scenery.

What is to be gained in a GeForce3? ANd how much video RAM was
available typically with the GF3? Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB
if there was such a thing. Am going to a local computer `show and sale´
this weekend and next. Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

-G

p.s. mainboard has early version of AGP slot, perhaps 1.0

Mr.E Solved!
September 29th 07, 03:50 PM
wrote:

> What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Nothing is to be gained by using that obsolete (circa 2001) DX8 card
with a DX9 game, such as FS9.

There are robust AGP options in both GeForce 4, 5, 6, and 7 flavors. All
of which can be found more readily and cheaper than a GeForce3.

I wish you well on your recovery however, that long sleep must have been
trouble for your lawn. Glad to see you getting right back into the
vanguard of bleeding edge tech!

September 29th 07, 04:10 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:50:58 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!" >
brought the following to our attention:

wrote:

>> What is to be gained in a GeForce3?
>
>Nothing is to be gained by using that obsolete (circa 2001) DX8 card
>with a DX9 game, such as FS9.
>
>There are robust AGP options in both GeForce 4, 5, 6, and 7 flavors. All
>of which can be found more readily and cheaper than a GeForce3.

Thanks.. will be shopping for a cheapie GeForce 4 today at the show, one
that works in AGP 1.0 slot and supports DX9. Do I have all that correct?

>I wish you well on your recovery however, that long sleep must have been
>trouble for your lawn. Glad to see you getting right back into the
>vanguard of bleeding edge tech!

Not that's funny.. joking!!

-G

First of One[_2_]
September 29th 07, 04:30 PM
All Geforce cards except the 7800GS, 7950GT, 6600, and early 6200 will work
in an AGP 1.0 slot with 3.3V signaling.

Geforce4 doesn't support DX9 features. You'll need a card from the Geforce
FX5 or Geforce 6 series if you care about DX9 support. As a minimum you'll
want a FX5700 or 6200. A stripped down (i.e. cheap) 6800GS or 6800XT will be
better.

> wrote in message
> > There are robust AGP options in both GeForce 4, 5, 6, and 7 flavors. All
> > of which can be found more readily and cheaper than a GeForce3.
>
> Thanks.. will be shopping for a cheapie GeForce 4 today at the show, one
> that works in AGP 1.0 slot and supports DX9. Do I have all that correct?

Benjamin Gawert
September 29th 07, 04:33 PM
* :

> Am looking for a GeForce 3 to replace an nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB, which is
> a stock Dell OEM, Diamond Viper 770. The platform is a dual 500MHz Xeon
> workstation with SCSI hard drives..

I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but at
that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
belongs to my son.

> still working GREAT, running Win2k
> Pro. Application is mainly for FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot
> more FPS, but more VRAM and hence, more scenery.
>
> What is to be gained in a GeForce3?

Not much. The Geforce3 is outdated.

> ANd how much video RAM was
> available typically with the GF3?

32MB and 64MB.

> Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB
> if there was such a thing.

Even if there were one, big memory is just useless if the GPU is slow.

> Am going to a local computer `show and sale´
> this weekend and next. Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)

Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

Benjamin

September 30th 07, 04:14 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:30:02 -0400, "First of One" >
brought the following to our attention:

>All Geforce cards except the 7800GS, 7950GT, 6600, and early 6200 will work
>in an AGP 1.0 slot with 3.3V signaling.
>
>Geforce4 doesn't support DX9 features. You'll need a card from the Geforce
>FX5 or Geforce 6 series if you care about DX9 support. As a minimum you'll
>want a FX5700 or 6200. A stripped down (i.e. cheap) 6800GS or 6800XT will
>be better.

All good info here. Was at the show yesterday and saw GF2 cards that
didn't even have a heat sink on chip. Other unidentified nVidia cards
with 32MB and chip-fans. Most were $10, $12 or $15. Will keep looking
around. Here's a link on AGP slot compatibility.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

I must do more homework here. Let's state the issue once again: Looking
for an upgraded nVidia card to replace OEM 32MB Riva TNT2 in the form
of a Diamond Viper 770, in an AGP 1.0 slot, on dual-Xeon UW-SCSI main-
board... possibly with 64MB or 128MB of VRAM.

-G

September 30th 07, 04:28 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:33:22 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >

Here's a view: http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

>I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
>550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
>at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
>the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
>still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
>belongs to my son.

What are you going to do with the HP card?

>> still working GREAT, running Win2k Pro. Application is mainly for
>> FlightSim v8 and v9. Don't expect a lot more FPS, but more VRAM
>> and hence, more scenery.
>>
>> What is to be gained in a GeForce3?
>
>Not much. The Geforce3 is outdated.
>

>> ANd how much video RAM was available typically with the GF3?
>
>32MB and 64MB.
>

>> Would like 64MB, 128 or even 256MB if there was such a thing.
>
>Even if there were one, big memory is just useless if the GPU is slow.

I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it go
returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.

>> Am going to a local computer `show and sale´ this weekend and next.
>> Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)
>
>Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
>like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
>than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok? As
stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.
Please comment further.

-G

>Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
September 30th 07, 05:38 PM
* :

> Here's a view: http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

Hmm...a Dell Precision, nice machines, at that time we had several of
them in some departments.

>> I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
>> 550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
>> at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
>> the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
>> still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
>> belongs to my son.
>
> What are you going to do with the HP card?

Don't know, maybe use it to replace the dead VisualizeFX10 in my Kayak
XU (2x P2-333). At that time these cards were just kicking ass in OpenGL
applications. Sadly, they only do that - OpenGL. No Direct3D. They were
good cards under WindowsNT but I wouldn't want to use them in W2k or
even Winxp.

> I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
> focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it go
> returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.

Well, it's very likely that the rest of the system is the bottleneck
here. The memory bus is just painfully slow as are the CPUs. But then,
we're talking about a 1999 aera computer here.

>>> Am going to a local computer `show and sale´ this weekend and next.
>>> Please comment (serious now - no joke!!)
>> Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
>> like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
>> than sufficient for you dinosaur system.
>
> Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok?

Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can return
the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.

> As
> stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.

No, it doesn't. But lots of VRAM doesn't help if the GPU (the gfx chip)
isn't fast enough. Gfx memory isn't the only variable that decides about
performance, indeed it's more the architecture of the GPU and the clock
rate of GPU and gfx RAM. And as always, a chain is only as good as it's
weakes part, so the fastest gfx card won't help if the system itself is
too slow.

> Please comment further.

Honestly, it's probably time to move on to a better system.

Benjamin

October 1st 07, 11:34 AM
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:38:21 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :
>
>> Here's a view: http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg
>
>Hmm...a Dell Precision, nice machines, at that time we had several of
>them in some departments.

I just installed a 4x internal, 1x internal USB 2.0 PCI card yesterday.
Picked that up at the `show.´

>>> I have something similar here from old days (HP Kayak XW, 2x XEON
>>> 550MHz/2MB, 2GB RAM, Geforce FX 5200). Was a nice setup in 1999, but
>>> at that time it had a whooping ultra-expensive HP VisualizeFX10 gfx card,
>>> the whole setup just kicked ass with WindowsNT 4. The HP gfx card is
>>> still around here somewhere. The computer itself with the FX5200 now
>>> belongs to my son.
>>
>> What are you going to do with the HP card?
>
>Don't know, maybe use it to replace the dead VisualizeFX10 in my Kayak
>XU (2x P2-333). At that time these cards were just kicking ass in OpenGL
>applications. Sadly, they only do that - OpenGL. No Direct3D. They were
>good cards under WindowsNT but I wouldn't want to use them in W2k or
>even Winxp.
>
>> I think you're right. I had a 64MB GeForce3 for about a week and was so
>> focused on frame-rate, and oblivious to scenery range detail, that it got
>> returned. No increase in framerate going from 32MB TNT2 to 64MB GF3.
>
>Well, it's very likely that the rest of the system is the bottleneck
>here. The memory bus is just painfully slow as are the CPUs. But then,
>we're talking about a 1999 aera computer here.

ABove should read `GOT returned.´

>>> Serious? Go to a local computer store and buy a current low end gfx card
>>> like a Geforce FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9250 or something like that. More
>>> than sufficient for you dinosaur system.

I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store. The
smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.

>> Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok?
>
>Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can return
>the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.

I'd like to find one at the PC show for 20-bucks.

>> As stated, lots of VRAM may put a great load on the 500MHz CPUs.
>
>No, it doesn't. But lots of VRAM doesn't help if the GPU (the gfx chip)
>isn't fast enough. Gfx memory isn't the only variable that decides about
>performance, indeed it's more the architecture of the GPU and the clock
>rate of GPU and gfx RAM. And as always, a chain is only as good as it's
>weakes part, so the fastest gfx card won't help if the system itself is
>too slow.
>
>> Please comment further.
>
>Honestly, it's probably time to move on to a better system.
>
>Benjamin

Now I'm discourages. :(

Will still look around for a semi-old 128MB nVidia card, maybe of the
dx9 type, to replace the 32MB Riva TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770)
http://www.rivastation.com/review/v770_prev/v770_board.gif

-G

First of One[_2_]
October 2nd 07, 02:32 AM
Says who? Is the AGP connector physically keyed to be unusable in your
motherboard?

> wrote in message
> I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store. The
> smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.

October 2nd 07, 12:13 PM
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:32:42 -0400, "First of One" >
brought the following to our attention:

> wrote in message
>
>> I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store.
>> The smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.
>

>Says who? Is the AGP connector physically keyed to be unusable
>in your motherboard?

Thanks for replying. I'm determined to find an nVidia board that will
work in my AGP slot, provide 64 to 128 MB of video memory, possibly
support dx9, and even do some AA or other filtering/processing. How-
ever not to over-burden the dual Xeon CPUs and busses.

The fx 5200 box said.. Min Requirements: AGP 2.0 slot

Since it was in the retail box, I didn't have the opportunity to look at
the connector or keys.

Here are the system specs from Dell support page:

Specifications: Dell Precision™ WorkStation 610 Mini Tower Systems

Pentium III Xeon (dual)
500 MHz internally/100 MHz externally
550 MHz internally/100 MHz externally

System chipset: Intel Slot 2/440GX AGPset

Primary SCSI controller: Adaptec AIC-7890 Ultra2/Wide LVD
(Adaptec 2940 U2W-equivalent)

Secondary SCSI controller: Adaptec AIC-7880 internal Ultra/Narrow
and external Ultra/Wide (Adaptec 2940 UW-equivalent)

Video:

AGP Bus speed: 133 MHz

AGP expansion-card connector size: 124 pins
AGP expansion-card connector data width: 32 bits (maximum)

Video type: 2X AGP or PCI graphics adapter card
(see manufacturer’s specifications)

{ scroll down }

ok.. so it says 2x AGP.. how doest THAT open things up????

-G

Benjamin Gawert
October 2nd 07, 05:53 PM
* :

> I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store. The
> smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.

No, it doesn't. The FX5200 doesn't need AGP 2.0. Some card maker refuse
to support that old computer (they want to avoid support requests) so
they raise the minimum specs written on the cardbox to AGP 2.0.

>>> Ok.. will be checking into that. And the AGP 1.0 slot will be ok?
>>>
>> Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can
>> return the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.
>
> I'd like to find one at the PC show for 20-bucks.

I don't know where you live and what the usual price level for hardware
is where you are, but usually it's not worth spending 20 bucks for a
several years old gfx card with fan that probably already has reached
the zenith of its life when new and much better cards start at around 40
quids.

> Will still look around for a semi-old 128MB nVidia card, maybe of the
> dx9 type, to replace the 32MB Riva TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770)

The oldest Nvidia DX9 card series is the Geforce FX series, and this one
supports AGP1.0

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
October 2nd 07, 05:56 PM
* :

> Thanks for replying. I'm determined to find an nVidia board that will
> work in my AGP slot, provide 64 to 128 MB of video memory, possibly
> support dx9, and even do some AA or other filtering/processing.

Sorry, but not with your low-spec system. Better forget about AA/AF.

> Here are the system specs from Dell support page:
>

> Specifications: Dell Precision™ WorkStation 610 Mini Tower Systems
>
> Pentium III Xeon (dual)
> 500 MHz internally/100 MHz externally
> 550 MHz internally/100 MHz externally
>
> System chipset: Intel Slot 2/440GX AGPset

My Kayak XW has the same chipset, and the Geforce FX5200 works just fine
in there.

Benjamin

October 2nd 07, 11:13 PM
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:56:34 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :
>
>> Thanks for replying. I'm determined to find an nVidia board that will
>> work in my AGP slot, provide 64 to 128 MB of video memory, possibly
>> support dx9, and even do some AA or other filtering/processing.
>
>Sorry, but not with your low-spec system. Better forget about AA/AF.

You mean.. sorry about AA, or the card in general?

>> Here are the system specs from Dell support page:
>>

>> Specifications: Dell Precision™ WorkStation 610 Mini Tower Systems
>>
>> Pentium III Xeon (dual)
>> 500 MHz internally/100 MHz externally
>> 550 MHz internally/100 MHz externally
>>
>> System chipset: Intel Slot 2/440GX AGPset

Ok.. will be picking up a fx 5200 at the show. Do you think 128MB
is overkill for this application? 64MB ok?

Notice the Dell spec is 2x AGP.

>My Kayak XW has the same chipset, and the Geforce FX5200 works
>just fine in there.
>
>Benjamin

October 2nd 07, 11:16 PM
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:53:53 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :
>
>> I looked at some fx 5200 yesterday at the local techie store. The
>> smallest one had 128MB but needed a AGP 2.0 socket.
>
>No, it doesn't. The FX5200 doesn't need AGP 2.0. Some card maker refuse
>to support that old computer (they want to avoid support requests) so
>they raise the minimum specs written on the cardbox to AGP 2.0.

>>> Yes, sure. But I'd strongly recommend to buy there where you can
>>> return the card for cash if you see no benefit from it.
>>
>> I'd like to find one at the PC show for 20-bucks.
>
>I don't know where you live and what the usual price level for hardware
>is where you are, but usually it's not worth spending 20 bucks for a
>several years old gfx card with fan that probably already has reached
>the zenith of its life when new and much better cards start at around 40
>quids.

It will probably go for 40 bucks.

>> Will still look around for a semi-old 128MB nVidia card, maybe of the
>> dx9 type, to replace the 32MB Riva TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770)
>
>The oldest Nvidia DX9 card series is the Geforce FX series, and this one
>supports AGP1.0

That means FX 5200, FX 5500, and FX5700? Which of these will fit?

-G

>Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
October 3rd 07, 10:31 AM
* :

>>> Will still look around for a semi-old 128MB nVidia card, maybe of the
>>> dx9 type, to replace the 32MB Riva TNT2 (Diamond Viper 770)
>> The oldest Nvidia DX9 card series is the Geforce FX series, and this one
>> supports AGP1.0
>
> That means FX 5200, FX 5500, and FX5700? Which of these will fit?

Basically all of them (the whole Geforce FX series). There are some few
cards that lack the necessary mechanical coding in the AGP connector,
though, in this case the card simply won't fit in your computer. That's
very rare, but to avoid troubles I'd recommend to buy where you can
return the card if you get one that lacks the necessary coding.

Because of the low performance of your computer I'd go with the cheapest
one.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
October 3rd 07, 10:34 AM
* :

>>> Thanks for replying. I'm determined to find an nVidia board that will
>>> work in my AGP slot, provide 64 to 128 MB of video memory, possibly
>>> support dx9, and even do some AA or other filtering/processing.
>> Sorry, but not with your low-spec system. Better forget about AA/AF.
>
> You mean.. sorry about AA, or the card in general?

No, about AA/AF. With your computer you never will be able to use AA
and/or AF and get more than a slideshow - no matter what gfx card you use.

> Ok.. will be picking up a fx 5200 at the show. Do you think 128MB
> is overkill for this application? 64MB ok?

It simply doesn't matter. Most FX5200 cards today are 128MB, though.

> Notice the Dell spec is 2x AGP.

Yes, I know. the i440GX chipset always comes with AGP 2x.

Benjamin

October 3rd 07, 11:41 AM
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:34:14 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :

>>> Sorry, but not with your low-spec system. Better forget about AA/AF.
>>
>> You mean.. sorry about AA, or the card in general?
>
>No, about AA/AF. With your computer you never will be able to use AA
>and/or AF and get more than a slideshow - no matter what gfx card you use.
>
>> Ok.. will be picking up a fx 5200 at the show. Do you think 128MB
>> is overkill for this application? 64MB ok?
>
>It simply doesn't matter. Most FX5200 cards today are 128MB, though.

BTW.. there were two fx5200, 128MB on ebay for $.01 (1 cent) last
night, Dell OEMs. One had a fan, and the other had two big heat sinks.

>> Notice the Dell spec is 2x AGP.
>
>Yes, I know. the i440GX chipset always comes with AGP 2x.

I think we can wrap-up this discussion soon. Thanks for bearing with
my ignorance and stubbornness. Can you make a blanket statement
(in summary) about the i440GX chipset, the 2x AGP spec, and the
compatibility of nVidia AGP cards? I'll be pulling my Viper 770, TNT2
and inspecting the slot, and the card pins. (see pics below)

http://www.rivastation.com/review/v770_prev/v770_board.gif

http://homepage.uvt.nl/~s207209/100_0506.JPG

note: currently using 44.03 drivers with no problems!

- G

>Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
October 3rd 07, 12:21 PM
* :

> BTW.. there were two fx5200, 128MB on ebay for $.01 (1 cent) last
> night, Dell OEMs. One had a fan, and the other had two big heat sinks.

Basically, the Geforce FX5200 doesn't need a fan, it can be cooled with
a relative small heat sink. Some have also fans, though.

>>> Notice the Dell spec is 2x AGP.
>> Yes, I know. the i440GX chipset always comes with AGP 2x.
>
> I think we can wrap-up this discussion soon. Thanks for bearing with
> my ignorance and stubbornness.

This has nothing to do with ignorance or stubbornness. It's just that
not everyone is interested in the innards of its computer, the majority
of users probably see the computer as what it really is: a tool for a
certain task. Same as not everyone is a car mechanic or a nuclear energy
engineer, no-one can know all about everything. It's totally fine that
you ask here for help, that's what these groups are for.

> Can you make a blanket statement
> (in summary) about the i440GX chipset, the 2x AGP spec, and the
> compatibility of nVidia AGP cards?

Sure. Basically, all AGP gfx cards that use an Nvidia or ATI GPU with
native AGP interface (i.e. all Geforce up to and including the Geforce
FX series, some Geforce 6 models, all Radeons up to and including the
Radeon 9xxx series (Radeon 9000 to Radeon 9800), some Radeon X8x0) are
compatible with the AGP 2x slot of your computer. Not compatible are AGP
gfx cards that use an ATI or Nvidia GPU with native PCIe (PCI Express)
interface and that connect to AGP via an AGP-to-PCIe bridge chip (i.e.
some Geforce 6 models, all Geforce 7/8 models, some ATI Radeon X8x0
models, all X1xxx and X2xxx models) since these bridge chips don't
support the voltage levels of AGP 2x any more.

But due to the age and (by todays standards) limited performance of your
computer there is no reason to waste money on something better than a
Geforce FX5200/5500 or ATI Radeon 9200/9250.

Benjamin

October 5th 07, 02:31 AM
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:31:41 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :

>>> The oldest Nvidia DX9 card series is the Geforce FX series, and this one
>>> supports AGP1.0
>>
>> That means FX 5200, FX 5500, and FX5700? Which of these will fit?
>
>Basically all of them (the whole Geforce FX series). There are some few
>cards that lack the necessary mechanical coding in the AGP connector,
>though, in this case the card simply won't fit in your computer. That's
>very rare, but to avoid troubles I'd recommend to buy where you can
>return the card if you get one that lacks the necessary coding.
>
>Because of the low performance of your computer I'd go with the cheapest
>one.
>
>Benjamin

Well.. I went ahead and bought one on ebay today.. for $12.52 :))
A basic 128MB GeForce fx 5200 AGP Dell OEM.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b9/b4/a495_1.JPG

It has an oversized heatsink.. no fan. Should be ok for experimenting.
What would be a good, conservative, lean and mean driver version?
I run 44.03 in the Riva TNT2.

-G

Benjamin Gawert
October 6th 07, 12:53 PM
* :

> Well.. I went ahead and bought one on ebay today.. for $12.52 :))
> A basic 128MB GeForce fx 5200 AGP Dell OEM.
>
> http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b9/b4/a495_1.JPG

Nice card. I'd miss the DVI output but nevertheless it's a fine
replacement for your old TNT2.

> It has an oversized heatsink.. no fan. Should be ok for experimenting.
> What would be a good, conservative, lean and mean driver version?
> I run 44.03 in the Riva TNT2.

I'd recommend the latest standard ForceWare driver from the Nvidia site
(no beta drivers or drivers from somewhere else).

Benjamin

October 6th 07, 01:21 PM
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:53:35 +0200, Benjamin Gawert >
brought the following to our attention:

>* :
>
>> Well.. I went ahead and bought one on ebay today.. for $12.52 :))
>> A basic 128MB GeForce fx 5200 AGP Dell OEM.
>>
>> http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b9/b4/a495_1.JPG
>
>Nice card. I'd miss the DVI output but nevertheless it's a fine
>replacement for your old TNT2.

Yeah.. as mentioned already, its really an experiment.. tinkering you
know. One of your comments that stuck in my mind was, that fx 5200
didn't require a fan. I chose the card above, from two being sold by the
same guy, the other having a very kool looking fan. :))

Other similar nVidia cards did have DVI outputs, but they were in the
$40 range. We'll see how this one goes and maybe `spec´ another fx.

I'm just starting to transition from BIG 21" CRTs to Samsung panels.
Maybe we can discuss that subject in another thread. Too much heat
dissipation from CRTs.

>> It has an oversized heatsink.. no fan. Should be ok for experimenting.
>> What would be a good, conservative, lean and mean driver version?
>> I run 44.03 in the Riva TNT2.
>
>I'd recommend the latest standard ForceWare driver from the Nvidia site
>(no beta drivers or drivers from somewhere else).

Here's what the nVidia website lookup returned:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

Anything leaner that 93.71 available?

-G

>Benjamin

p.s. including the pic of workstation `edmain´ which has two of
everything, including the CPUs. It even has a Matrox Millennium
and a third Adaptec SCSI channel in PCI slots out the back.

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/drive_box.jpg

Benjamin Gawert
October 6th 07, 04:57 PM
* :

>>> http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/b9/b4/a495_1.JPG
>> Nice card. I'd miss the DVI output but nevertheless it's a fine
>> replacement for your old TNT2.
>
> Yeah.. as mentioned already, its really an experiment.. tinkering you
> know. One of your comments that stuck in my mind was, that fx 5200
> didn't require a fan. I chose the card above, from two being sold by the
> same guy, the other having a very kool looking fan. :))

I think you're better without fan, especially since your Dell Precision
has a very effective cooling system.

>>> What would be a good, conservative, lean and mean driver version?
>>> I run 44.03 in the Riva TNT2.
>> I'd recommend the latest standard ForceWare driver from the Nvidia site
>> (no beta drivers or drivers from somewhere else).
>
> Here's what the nVidia website lookup returned:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
>
> Anything leaner that 93.71 available?

Older != leaner. You don't want a "lean" gfx driver, you want one which
works as good as possible. That includes also the dozens of bug fixes
that new drivers get. I'd really recommend using this one.

Benjamin