PDA

View Full Version : SLI BFG 8600 GTS OC not working on xw6400


jokerjack
September 20th 07, 05:02 PM
has anyone been able to setup the above video card with a pair for use
of SLI on a HP xw6400, this supports SLI but when i have both cards in
the PC it wont boot up as it beeps... the PC isn't getting past POST.

Also does anyone know if i need the HP bridge or does anyone work, ie
ASUS.

Thanks




--
jokerjack

Benjamin Gawert
September 20th 07, 08:40 PM
* jokerjack:

> has anyone been able to setup the above video card with a pair for use
> of SLI on a HP xw6400, this supports SLI

No, it doesn't. The xw6400 is a dual XEON 5000/5100/5300 series machine
which uses the intel 5000X chipset. This chipset doesn't support SLI at
all. You can use two gfx cards in non-SLI config, though.

> but when i have both cards in
> the PC it wont boot up as it beeps... the PC isn't getting past POST.

Does the machine work with a single card? If yes, have you tried both cards?

> Also does anyone know if i need the HP bridge or does anyone work, ie
> ASUS.

The SLI brigdes are basically all the same except regarding the length.
You of course need a bridge that has sufficient cable length, but since
the xw6400 doesn't support SLI this point is mood.

BTW: it's a bit strange to put a cheap overclocker card in a
not-so-cheap workstation. Probably not the best combination.

Benjamin

First of One[_2_]
September 21st 07, 01:40 AM
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/286858-0-0-225-121.html
Only the x9300 supports SLI, according to this.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"jokerjack" > wrote in message
...
>
> has anyone been able to setup the above video card with a pair for use
> of SLI on a HP xw6400, this supports SLI but when i have both cards in
> the PC it wont boot up as it beeps... the PC isn't getting past POST.
>
> Also does anyone know if i need the HP bridge or does anyone work, ie
> ASUS.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> --
> jokerjack

Benjamin Gawert
September 21st 07, 08:36 AM
* First of One:
> http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/286858-0-0-225-121.html
> Only the x9300 supports SLI, according to this.

Well, it's a bit outdated, besides the xw9300 (which is already
obsolete) it's successor xw9400 does support SLI, too.

But SLI is only supported with Nvidia chipsets, and since there are no
Nvidia workstation chipsets (nForce Professional) for XEON but only for
Opteron there is no XEON workstation with SLI support.

Benjamin

First of One[_2_]
September 24th 07, 01:53 AM
This true for HP workstations. Dell apparently managed to get SLI working
with the i5000x chipset, through a riser card that splits one PCIe x16 slot
into two PCIe x8 slots using a bridge chip. It's similar in principle to the
7950GX2 implementation, but uses discrete cards. The chassis backplate is
custom to allow the slot brackets to line up. I guess Dell had sufficient
sale volume to justify this design with nVidia.
http://forums.2cpu.com/showpost.php?s=893e7acf22dbd2cbfdd74316fc867203&p=672578&postcount=18

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> But SLI is only supported with Nvidia chipsets, and since there are no
> Nvidia workstation chipsets (nForce Professional) for XEON but only for
> Opteron there is no XEON workstation with SLI support.
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
September 24th 07, 11:10 PM
* First of One:

> This true for HP workstations. Dell apparently managed to get SLI working
> with the i5000x chipset, through a riser card that splits one PCIe x16 slot
> into two PCIe x8 slots using a bridge chip. It's similar in principle to the
> 7950GX2 implementation, but uses discrete cards.

Right, but it uses an Nvidia brigde that basically makes something
similar like the 7950GX2. To the chipset this SLI setup looks like a
single PCIe x16 card, so it doesn't matter who made the chipset or which
chipset is used.

But that still leaves the i5000X chipset incapable of SLI.

Besides that, it's only certified to work with the Quadro cards sold by
Dell together with this Precision workstation, and only with certain
certified driver revisions (Quadro and Geforce driver are the same). It
might work with two 7800 or 7900 series cards, but I wouldn't bet on it
running reliable with other cards.

> The chassis backplate is
> custom to allow the slot brackets to line up. I guess Dell had sufficient
> sale volume to justify this design with nVidia.

Well, Dell wanted to offer a fast workstation with SLI support. Until
the recent launch of AMDs Barcelona the current XEON 5100/5300 were just
kicking Opterons ass in two socket machines. Nvidia only has a chipset
for Opterons but not for XEONs, so the only way to get SLI on a XEON
system is via the Nvidia bridge.

But it's real-world value is very questionable. In the professional
market SLI is much more a niche than in the gaming market, and it's use
for professional applications is *very* limited. Besides that, it's
doubtful that it will be supported in upcoming driver releases. That's
probably why only Dell offers this option while the other big
workstation brand names (HP, IBM, FSC) are staying away from it.

Benjamin