PDA

View Full Version : Video card that can "fake" screen size and resolution

HotRdd
September 17th 07, 09:12 PM
I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
video card, thoughts?

First of One[_2_]
September 18th 07, 01:15 AM
The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a virtual
resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.

If however your monitor is limited to a lower res, you can force a res up to
2048x1536 through panning. Ensure panning is enabled in CCC (see
http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panningcccwb3.png), then select a
higher res in Displays Manager -> Desktop Area.

"HotRdd" > wrote in message
>I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
>and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
>printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
>there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
>and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
>memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
>only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
>video card, thoughts?

Arno Wagner
September 18th 07, 11:59 AM
Previously HotRdd > wrote:
> I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
> and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
> printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
> there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
> and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
> memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
> only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
> video card, thoughts?

Well, if it is Linux, use a virtual screen size larger than the
physical one. It is a standard option for Xfree86 and X.org.

Under Windows, you probably will need to buy some software that
does this for you or see whether ATI offers something.

Arno

Arno Wagner
September 18th 07, 12:00 PM
Previously First of One > wrote:
> The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
> 2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a virtual
> resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.

What does the physical limits of the card have to do with the
virtual screen size?

> If however your monitor is limited to a lower res, you can force a res up to
> 2048x1536 through panning. Ensure panning is enabled in CCC (see
> http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panningcccwb3.png), then select a
> higher res in Displays Manager -> Desktop Area.

> "HotRdd" > wrote in message
>>I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
>>and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
>>printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
>>there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
>>and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
>>memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
>>only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
>>video card, thoughts?

HotRdd
September 18th 07, 02:25 PM
This is under XP PRO so I'll need to keep surfing and see what I can find.

"Arno Wagner" > wrote in message
> Previously HotRdd > wrote:
>> I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual
>> monitor
>> and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
>> printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it
>> is
>> there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
>> and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
>> memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card.
>> The
>> only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
>> video card, thoughts?
>
> Well, if it is Linux, use a virtual screen size larger than the
> physical one. It is a standard option for Xfree86 and X.org.
>
> Under Windows, you probably will need to buy some software that
> does this for you or see whether ATI offers something.
>
> Arno

First of One[_2_]
September 18th 07, 11:25 PM
It's just the way the ATi driver was written (or at least the way the driver
interface was implemented). The 2048x1536 cap is confirmed on my system with
Radeon X1900XT and Catalyst 7.9. Theoretically the virtual screen size
should be limited only by the framebuffer, but in actuality that's not the
case.

"Arno Wagner" > wrote in message
> Previously First of One > wrote:
>> The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
>> 2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a
>> virtual resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.
>
> What does the physical limits of the card have to do with the
> virtual screen size?

DaveW[_4_]
September 18th 07, 11:32 PM
You should probably be looking at an Nvidia Quattro video card in one of the
more powerful (and expensive) versions. The Quattros are the professional
version video cards.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
"HotRdd" > wrote in message
>I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
>and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
>printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
>there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
>and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
>memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
>only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
>video card, thoughts?

HotRdd
September 19th 07, 03:15 PM
Good starting point THANKS

"DaveW" > wrote in message
> You should probably be looking at an Nvidia Quattro video card in one of
> the more powerful (and expensive) versions. The Quattros are the
> professional version video cards.
>
> --
> ---------------------
> DaveW
>
> ---------------------
> "HotRdd" > wrote in message
>>I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual
>>monitor and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a
>>large printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support
>>it is there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large
>>size and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed
>>so memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card.
>>The only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM
>>and video card, thoughts?

HotRdd
September 19th 07, 09:52 PM
Had a look at the graphics card but it's way beyond what I'd be willing to
spend. Other ideas?

"DaveW" > wrote in message
> You should probably be looking at an Nvidia Quattro video card in one of
> the more powerful (and expensive) versions. The Quattros are the
> professional version video cards.
>
> --
> ---------------------
> DaveW
>
> ---------------------
> "HotRdd" > wrote in message
>>I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual
>>monitor and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a
>>large printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support
>>it is there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large
>>size and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed
>>so memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card.
>>The only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM
>>and video card, thoughts?

goud
February 8th 09, 03:43 PM
so I am trying to do this also for a HTPC so that I can have a lower
resolution LCD duplicate desktop with a 1080P projector.
I have installed the latest version of CCC (under win7) and the option
shown in the picture simply isn't there, any idea if there is a
registry hack to enable it?
Thanks

First of One;298508 Wrote:
> The RAMDAC on all consumer-level video cards nowadays is limited to
> 2048x1536 (or 1900x1200 for single-link digital DVI). If you want a
> virtual
> resolution larger than 2048x1536 you are out of luck.
>
> If however your monitor is limited to a lower res, you can force a res
> up to
> 2048x1536 through panning. Ensure panning is enabled in CCC (see
> 'ImageShack - Image Hosting :: panningcccwb3.png'
> (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panningcccwb3.png)), then
> select a
> higher res in Displays Manager -> Desktop Area.

> "HotRdd" > wrote in message
> >I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual
> monitor
> >and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
>
> >printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support
> it is
> >there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large
> size
> >and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed
> so
> >memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card.
> The
> >only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM
> and
> >video card, thoughts?

Geoff[_6_]
February 17th 09, 10:36 AM
HotRdd wrote:
> I am using an application that is very very dependent on the actual monitor
> and monitor resolution that I have. I have the need to create a large
> printout and was wondering even if I don't have a monitor to support it is
> there a video card that will allow me to capture my image at a large size
> and greater resolution than I have. I already have 4GB RAM installed so
> memory is not a problem. Right now I'm using a RADEON X550 video card. The
> only hints I've been given from the pro's is to have a look at my RAM and
> video card, thoughts?

like others have said, look at virtual desktop/panning
what about multiple monitors to gain desk space

if you need fullscreen single screen you are prob stuffed apart from
buying a big monitor and video card to match