PDA

View Full Version : Skybuck's Log Entry 10: Return of the ghost in the network.

Skybuck Flying
September 16th 07, 11:32 PM
Skybuck's Log Entry 10:

After returning from the depths of hell not all is well.

The internet connection has been switched from ethernet port 7 (marvel) to
ethernet port 8 (nvidia network controller).

Two days have passed.

After shutdown of the computer, the nvidia network controller (ethernet port
8) and the cable modem remain active.

The network port and cable modem leds are blinking.

It seems the ghost has returned into the network.

I have noticed and described this behaviour before in the past.

The question is what is causing this behaviour ?

Possibilities:

1. Is it a bug ?

2. Is it normal ? <- Probably not.

3. Is it a spyieing attempt ?

4. Is it a virus which nestled itself in the network card ?

I have yet to find a cure for this disease.

I can think of only one remedy:

Update the NVIDIA Chipset Drivers.

For the record the current NVIDIA Chipset Driver version is:

UNKNOWN.

Add/Remove programs does not show.

I shall inspect the driver version in network connections:

Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Data: 14-4-2006
Driver Version: 50.2.5.0

I have also found disturbing settings:

Wake on Magic Packet, Value: Enabled.
Wake on pattern, Value: Enabled.
WakeOnLAN From PowerOFF, Value: Enabled.

Power management says:

Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby. Disabled.

Does standby mean power off as well ?

I am not sure.

For now I pull the plug after system shutdown to be on the safe side.

Skybuck over and out.

SteveH[_2_]
September 16th 07, 11:36 PM
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Skybuck's Log Entry 10:
>
> After returning from the depths of hell not all is well.
>
> The internet connection has been switched from ethernet port 7
> (marvel) to ethernet port 8 (nvidia network controller).
>
> Two days have passed.
>
> After shutdown of the computer, the nvidia network controller
> (ethernet port 8) and the cable modem remain active.
>
> The network port and cable modem leds are blinking.
>
> It seems the ghost has returned into the network.
>
> I have noticed and described this behaviour before in the past.
>
> The question is what is causing this behaviour ?

It's supposed to do that you prat. We have 2 PC's here which do exactly the
same.

SteveH

Jamie
September 17th 07, 12:02 AM
Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Skybuck's Log Entry 10:
>
> After returning from the depths of hell not all is well.
>
> The internet connection has been switched from ethernet port 7 (marvel) to
> ethernet port 8 (nvidia network controller).
>
> Two days have passed.
>
> After shutdown of the computer, the nvidia network controller (ethernet port
> 8) and the cable modem remain active.
>
> The network port and cable modem leds are blinking.
>
> It seems the ghost has returned into the network.
>
> I have noticed and described this behaviour before in the past.
>
> The question is what is causing this behaviour ?
>
> Possibilities:
>
> 1. Is it a bug ?
>
> 2. Is it normal ? <- Probably not.
>
> 3. Is it a spyieing attempt ?
>
> 4. Is it a virus which nestled itself in the network card ?
>
> I have yet to find a cure for this disease.
>
> I can think of only one remedy:
>
> Update the NVIDIA Chipset Drivers.
>
> For the record the current NVIDIA Chipset Driver version is:
>
> UNKNOWN.
>
> Add/Remove programs does not show.
>
> I shall inspect the driver version in network connections:
>
> Driver Provider: NVIDIA
> Driver Data: 14-4-2006
> Driver Version: 50.2.5.0
>
> I have also found disturbing settings:
>
> Wake on Magic Packet, Value: Enabled.
> Wake on pattern, Value: Enabled.
> WakeOnLAN From PowerOFF, Value: Enabled.
>
> Power management says:
>
> Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby. Disabled.
>
> Does standby mean power off as well ?
>
> I am not sure.
>
> For now I pull the plug after system shutdown to be on the safe side.
>
> Skybuck over and out.

Oh get over it. You got your self a spammer or Trojan virus
running around.
You should be more careful where you go.
Don't bother to save any information on the HD.
completely format and wipe out your drive and
reinstall windows..
CU next year.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Jamie
September 17th 07, 03:32 AM
TheKraken wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:42:52 -0400, "RobV" >
> wrote:
>

>>Please! Don't feed the troll!
>>

> Jeez... Whenever I see an idiot post this crap one liner horse****, I
> think to myself that you are even more retarded than the original poster,
> as well as any that respond to him. ESPECIALLY since you are so
> goddamned stupid that you re-quote the entire load of crap while doing
> it, IDIOT!
>
> Please get a ****ing clue, dumb****tard.

Take it out of your mouth, it don't belong to you.
And take your meds while you're at it, No, not the
one's you buy down the street with money you still, but
the one's given to you by those in the white coat..

Have god day rubber lips.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

September 17th 07, 07:20 AM
> Take it out of your mouth,

What, my cock?

>it don't belong to you.

Doesn't, you idiot.

not the one's you buy down the street

Ones, you ****tard

with money you still,

Steal, you poorly educated jack-off.

> "I'm never wrong, once i thought i was, but was mistaken"

By my count you have been wrong three times in one post.

September 17th 07, 07:28 AM
On Sep 16, 7:32 pm, Jamie
> wrote:

> Take it out of your mouth, it don't belong to you.

It doesn't belong to you, idiot.

>No, not the one's you buy down the street

No, not the ones, you twit.

Steal, you are a genuine ****tard.

> "I'm never wrong, once i thought i was, but was mistaken"

By my count you have been wrong no less than three times in a single
post. Idiot.

John
September 17th 07, 02:14 PM
The only Ghost in my network is YOU.