PDA

View Full Version : Quadro Cards...?

Ian Bethell
September 13th 07, 09:24 PM
Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at the
same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.

TIA

Ian.

Benjamin Gawert
September 13th 07, 09:56 PM
* Ian Bethell:

> Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
> desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at the
> same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.

No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.

Some Quadro NVS cards have TV out but also there the same limitation
like for Geforce cards apply.

Benjamin

Ian Bethell
September 16th 07, 07:21 PM
What about if I forget about Component video and just run a quadro card as
TWO monitors (DVI) and a third output as VGA (Or will it have to be DVI
also?)

Can I forget the fourth output?

I'm a little confused, as I can't really find any "Practical" applications
or examples on the web regarding ANY video card... all they talk about is
specs and speeds and layers/shaders etc... all I want is to run a decent
extended desktop workstation and utilise the video capabilities and output
to a projector.

TIA.

Ian.

"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
>* Ian Bethell:
>
>> Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
>> desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at
>> the same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.
>
> No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
> cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
> don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
> the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.
>
> Some Quadro NVS cards have TV out but also there the same limitation like
> for Geforce cards apply.
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
September 16th 07, 08:04 PM
* Benjamin Gawert:

>> Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
>> desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at
>> the same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.
>
> No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
> cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
> don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
> the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.

Surprise! Nvidia now announced the Quadro FX 1700 (based on the Geforce
8600) which has an analog HD component output additionally to two
DualLink DVI outputs.

Maybe that's something for you.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
September 16th 07, 08:08 PM
* Ian Bethell:

> What about if I forget about Component video and just run a quadro card as
> TWO monitors (DVI) and a third output as VGA (Or will it have to be DVI
> also?)

You can do that with two Quadro cards (i.e. one AGP or PCIe card and a
secondary PCI card).

> Can I forget the fourth output?

Sure.

> I'm a little confused, as I can't really find any "Practical" applications
> or examples on the web regarding ANY video card... all they talk about is
> specs and speeds and layers/shaders etc... all I want is to run a decent
> extended desktop workstation and utilise the video capabilities and output
> to a projector.

Then probably the Quadro NVS series is something for you. The NVS are
cards targeted at the professional 2D market (they do have 3D
capabilities, though).

Benjamin

Ian Bethell
September 17th 07, 08:44 AM
Ok, but i'm still a bit confused... I thought being "Quadro" as in Quad=4...
it had FOUR outputs?

and that the FX1500 has HD output, that would be classed as one of these
four?

So confused... guess the only way to see HOW they work is to go buy one and
try it.

"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
>* Benjamin Gawert:
>
>>> Will the Nvidia Quadro cards (eg FX1500) allow me to have an extended
>>> desktop on two DVI monitors AND provide a HD component video output at
>>> the same time? Preferably in an "overlay style" mode.
>>
>> No, simply because Quadro cards are based on the same GPUs like Geforce
>> cards and so the same limitations apply. Besides that Quadro FX cards
>> don't have any TV ouptput but a Stereo output for 3D shutter glasses at
>> the position where the TV output connector is located on Geforce cards.
>
> Surprise! Nvidia now announced the Quadro FX 1700 (based on the Geforce
> 8600) which has an analog HD component output additionally to two DualLink
> DVI outputs.
>
> Maybe that's something for you.
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
September 17th 07, 01:28 PM
* Ian Bethell:
> Ok, but i'm still a bit confused... I thought being "Quadro" as in Quad=4...
> it had FOUR outputs?

Nope. It has nothing to do with the number of outputs.

Geforce = Consumer gfx cards ("gaming cards").

Quadro = professional gfx cards ("CAD gfx cards")

As the comparable Geforce variants Quadro cards usually have two outputs
(2x DVI-I which can drive a digital or an analog display). Quadros
usually don't have TV out but instead have an output for 3D shutter
glasses (Stereo out).

> and that the FX1500 has HD output, that would be classed as one of these
> four?

No. The FX1500 has two outputs of which one can be configured as HD output.

> So confused... guess the only way to see HOW they work is to go buy one and
> try it.

If you have too much money, then yes ;-) Otherwise I'd recommend reading
the specs on nvidia.com and on the PNY (the only Quadro board partner
and thus manufacturer of all Quadro cards) homepage.

Benjamin

johns
September 22nd 07, 07:41 AM
I've tested the top quadro cards on the market, and benched them
against both nVidia 7900 and 7950 GT. Both of the gaming cards
put the quadros in the weeds in tests with AutoCAD 2007,
SolidWorks 2007, and Catia. As for straight up gaming benchmarks,
that is just a joke. If the quadro will run the benchmark at all, it
gives a score maybe 50% less than the 7950 in all areas tested.

johns

Benjamin Gawert
September 25th 07, 11:03 AM
* johns:
> I've tested the top quadro cards on the market

So that means you can't name specific cards/models?

> , and benched them
> against both nVidia 7900 and 7950 GT. Both of the gaming cards
> put the quadros in the weeds in tests with AutoCAD 2007,
> SolidWorks 2007, and Catia.

Yeah, right. Just that the Geforce cards suck when it comes to wire
frame performance in complex objects. That's btw what all the
optimizations that the driver enables when he detects a Quadro are for.
Besides the fact that the Geforce simply lacks features that are
necessary for some application (i.e. AA lines). A Geforce *works* with
most professional applications flawlessly, but it rarely *performs* as
well as a Quadro with them.

So please, provide some details: what cards did you test, what hardware
did you use (CPU, RAM, mobo, BIOS version, PSU), what resolutions(s),
what driver versions, what was the OS patch level, what driver settings,
which subrelease of AutoCAD and SolidWorks, which version and subversion
of CATIA, which data, how did you test performance etc.

> As for straight up gaming benchmarks,
> that is just a joke. If the quadro will run the benchmark at all, it
> gives a score maybe 50% less than the 7950 in all areas tested.

Then your benchmarking was crap. The Quadro cards usually perform around
0-10% worse in games than the comparable Geforce models, and that's
mostly because of the lower GPU/Mem clock rate of the Quadros. Besides
that, the Quadros run all bechmarks that the comparable Geforce card
runs, simply because hardware and driver are identical.

Personally I've been using professional cards (FireGL and Quadro) for
years now, starting with the Quadro2 Pro over the Quadro4 900XGL/980XGL,
to the Quadro FX 2000/3000/3500/4500/5500 and now with the Quadro FX4600
(and with the FireGL 1/2/4/8800/T2/X1-256p/X3-256/V7200/V7350). Where I
work we have dozens of workstations running different Quadro cards in
single and SLI config, and I had enough opportunities to test the
performance of standard Geforce cards versus the Quadro series.

Benjamin who has the strong impression that this "benchmark" was just
made up