PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

September 11th 07, 10:20 AM
I have a sony RZ221 I recently had problems of strange pixel lines
appear on screen and system keeps rebooting. I have tried a new disk
which I know works and the same lines appear. I now am concluding the
video card has gone.

Its a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600. My questions is can I replace the card
with any other card. I wanted one that was good for viewing/editing
photos and videos. Can anyone recommend one?

TIA

Juarez
September 11th 07, 12:15 PM
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:20:40 -0700, SANJEEV.PARIKH wrote:

> I have a sony RZ221 I recently had problems of strange pixel lines
> appear on screen and system keeps rebooting. I have tried a new disk
> which I know works and the same lines appear. I now am concluding the
> video card has gone.
>
> Its a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600. My questions is can I replace the card
> with any other card. I wanted one that was good for viewing/editing
> photos and videos. Can anyone recommend one?
>
> TIA

Not any card as you need one with an AGP interface. Most newer cards have
PCI-E interface. Select one in your price range from this article. If you
are not into gaming you don't need top end. 7600GT would be a good choice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/05/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/page5.html

September 11th 07, 06:13 PM
Thanks for you response. Do I need to get AGP interface. I have spare
PCI can I use this?

Mr.E Solved!
September 11th 07, 07:00 PM
wrote:
> Thanks for you response. Do I need to get AGP interface. I have spare
> PCI can I use this?

Yes, you can use a PCI video card instead of an AGP video card. However,
why would you want to?

Also, make sure your Sony Vaio is configured to accept PCI video cards
as the primary video card in the BIOS if you decide to go this route as
some Vaio motherboards have on-board graphics.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143097

That is a very good deal ($15 final cost) on an wonderfully mediocre
GeForce 5 series card.

Juarez
September 11th 07, 08:38 PM
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:13:38 -0700, SANJEEV.PARIKH wrote:

> Thanks for you response. Do I need to get AGP interface. I have spare
> PCI can I use this?

There are PCI video cards but that is not the same interface as
PCI-Express. Get AGP interface for your motherboard.

September 11th 07, 11:00 PM
OK. Thanks everyone for your help.