PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs to understand some things

SwampYankee
September 7th 07, 01:34 PM
before he can ask intelligent questions:
What is the difference between a nVidia Geoforc and an nVidia Go Geoforce?
I presume the Go is for laptops? Can I use a geoforce driver on a geoforce
go card?
thanks

Mr.E Solved!
September 7th 07, 02:11 PM
SwampYankee wrote:
> before he can ask intelligent questions:
> What is the difference between a nVidia Geoforc and an nVidia Go Geoforce?
> I presume the Go is for laptops? Can I use a geoforce driver on a
> geoforce go card?
> thanks

GeForce is the name given to nVidia's consumer desktop video cards.
GeForce Go is the name given to laptop based video chipsets.

You must use the driver supplied by the laptop manufacturer for proper
GeForce Go operation. Each laptop model has very specific features that
can only be properly utilized by the drivers made for it.

The desktop GeForce Forceware suite will not install on GeForce Go.

SwampYankee
September 7th 07, 04:36 PM
In article >, says...
> SwampYankee wrote:
> > before he can ask intelligent questions:
> > What is the difference between a nVidia Geoforc and an nVidia Go Geoforce?
> > I presume the Go is for laptops? Can I use a geoforce driver on a
> > geoforce go card?
> > thanks
>
> GeForce is the name given to nVidia's consumer desktop video cards.
> GeForce Go is the name given to laptop based video chipsets.
>
> You must use the driver supplied by the laptop manufacturer for proper
> GeForce Go operation. Each laptop model has very specific features that
> can only be properly utilized by the drivers made for it.
>
> The desktop GeForce Forceware suite will not install on GeForce Go.

Thanks, that explains alot. Guess I'll wait along time to play bioshock on my Dell. Thanks

DaveW[_4_]
September 8th 07, 12:04 AM
No. They use different chipsets so they need different drivers.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
"SwampYankee" > wrote in message
> before he can ask intelligent questions:
> What is the difference between a nVidia Geoforc and an nVidia Go Geoforce?
> I presume the Go is for laptops? Can I use a geoforce driver on a
> geoforce go card?
> thanks

First of One[_2_]
September 8th 07, 03:38 PM
1. Have you tried playing Bioshock with your current drivers?

2. There are groups that modify the nVidia desktop drivers to make them
installable on the Go chipsets. See http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers .
Be sure to select your operating system from the menu on the left side. For
Vista 32-bit and XP 32-bit, the driver you'll want to use to play Bioshock
is 163.44.

Like E! said, there may be some unique features in your Dell that the
desktop drivers won't recognize. Usually this amounts to fewer refresh rate
or screen resolution choices, or slightly different behavior on the external
VGA port. Set a System Restore point before installing the modified drivers.

"SwampYankee" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks, that explains alot. Guess I'll wait along time to play bioshock
> on my Dell. Thanks

SwampYankee
September 10th 07, 02:53 PM
In article >, [email protected]
127.0.0.1 says...
> 1. Have you tried playing Bioshock with your current drivers?
>
> 2. There are groups that modify the nVidia desktop drivers to make them
> installable on the Go chipsets. See http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers .
> Be sure to select your operating system from the menu on the left side. For
> Vista 32-bit and XP 32-bit, the driver you'll want to use to play Bioshock
> is 163.44.
>
> Like E! said, there may be some unique features in your Dell that the
> desktop drivers won't recognize. Usually this amounts to fewer refresh rate
> or screen resolution choices, or slightly different behavior on the external
> VGA port. Set a System Restore point before installing the modified drivers.

Good suggestion. I installed their latest driver but I kind of get a
'slicing' effect that makesthe screen unusable. I'm following up on the
forums over there. Yes, it seems Dell is somehint of a special case. I
suppose relying on a laptop for gaming might not have been the best idea

Tecknomage
September 11th 07, 11:03 AM
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:53:59 -0400, SwampYankee > wrote:

> In article >, [email protected]
> 127.0.0.1 says...
> > 1. Have you tried playing Bioshock with your current drivers?
> >
> > 2. There are groups that modify the nVidia desktop drivers to make them
> > installable on the Go chipsets. See http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers .
> > Be sure to select your operating system from the menu on the left side. For
> > Vista 32-bit and XP 32-bit, the driver you'll want to use to play Bioshock
> > is 163.44.
> >
> > Like E! said, there may be some unique features in your Dell that the
> > desktop drivers won't recognize. Usually this amounts to fewer refresh rate
> > or screen resolution choices, or slightly different behavior on the external
> > VGA port. Set a System Restore point before installing the modified drivers.
> >

> Good suggestion. I installed their latest driver but I kind of get a
> 'slicing' effect that makesthe screen unusable. I'm following up on the
> forums over there. Yes, it seems Dell is somehint of a special case. I
> suppose relying on a laptop for gaming might not have been the best idea

You may want to refer to TweakGuides' "BioShock Tweak Guide."
http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_1.html

--
==== Tecknomage ====
All technology which is sufficiently advanced becomes