PDA

View Full Version : Looking for video card recommendation...

M'Balz Es-Hari
August 27th 07, 11:17 PM
I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
(GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
what I've got.
Mobo is an Intel D865PERL, AGP or PCI plots.
Any advice appreciated!

deimos[_2_]
August 27th 07, 11:30 PM
M'Balz Es-Hari wrote:
> I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
> (GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
> connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
> I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
> what I've got.
> Mobo is an Intel D865PERL, AGP or PCI plots.
> Any advice appreciated!

Quite a few 5200's had problems with widescreen resolutions via DVI.
Most folks report good results with 7300/7600's and there are a few
decent AGP cards left that won't cost an arm/leg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076

M'Balz Es-Hari
August 27th 07, 11:45 PM
On Aug 27, 5:30 pm, deimos <[email protected]> wrote:
> M'Balz Es-Hari wrote:
> > I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
> > (GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
> > connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
> > I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
> > what I've got.
> > Mobo is an Intel D865PERL, AGP or PCI plots.
> > Any advice appreciated!
>
> Quite a few 5200's had problems with widescreen resolutions via DVI.
> Most folks report good results with 7300/7600's and there are a few
> decent AGP cards left that won't cost an arm/leg.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076

I guess I should have asked in my original post, but will I see a
noticable difference using DVI vs VGA?

Fierce Guppy
August 29th 07, 08:08 AM
"M'Balz Es-Hari" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
> (GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
> connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
> I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
> what I've got.

Oh, but they ~all~ say that. :) Anyway, the fastest card available for the
abandoned AGP standard is the nVidia 7900GS. Anything higher than that is
PCI-e. A 7600GT would be ideal in your case, assuming "I am not a hardcore
gamer" really means " Seriously, I am ~not~ a hardcore gamer."

Fierce Guppy
--
fierce,[email protected],net,nz

Roy Coorne
August 29th 07, 03:21 PM
Fierce Guppy wrote:
> "M'Balz Es-Hari" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
>> (GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
>> connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
>> I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
>> what I've got.
>
> Oh, but they ~all~ say that. :) Anyway, the fastest card available for the
> abandoned AGP standard is the nVidia 7900GS. Anything higher than that is
> PCI-e. A 7600GT would be ideal in your case, assuming "I am not a hardcore
> gamer" really means " Seriously, I am ~not~ a hardcore gamer."
>
> Fierce Guppy

For a real softcore gamer, a(n Asus) GeForce 6200 AGP with 128 MB VRAM
(not shared) should do.

Roy

DRS
August 29th 07, 03:58 PM
"M'Balz Es-Hari" > wrote in message
ps.com

[...]

> I guess I should have asked in my original post, but will I see a
> noticable difference using DVI vs VGA?

Possibly. DVI should never be worse than analogue, but a very good analogue
can be virtually indistinguishable from DVI.

M'Balz Es-Hari
August 30th 07, 03:23 AM
On Aug 29, 9:21 am, Roy Coorne > wrote:
> Fierce Guppy wrote:
> > "M'Balz Es-Hari" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> I bought a Viewsonic 22" wide lcd monitor. My current video card
> >> (GeForce 5200)was able to display at the max resolution using the VGA
> >> connection, but can't using the DVI connection.
> >> I am not a hard-core gamer, just would like a card that will work with
> >> what I've got.
>
> > Oh, but they ~all~ say that. :) Anyway, the fastest card available for the
> > abandoned AGP standard is the nVidia 7900GS. Anything higher than that is
> > PCI-e. A 7600GT would be ideal in your case, assuming "I am not a hardcore
> > gamer" really means " Seriously, I am ~not~ a hardcore gamer."
>
> > Fierce Guppy
>
> For a real softcore gamer, a(n Asus) GeForce 6200 AGP with 128 MB VRAM
> (not shared) should do.
>
> Roy

Went to Fry's & picked up a PNY Geforce 7600GS 512MB AGP Card.
On sale for $149 and comes with a $50 rebate.
The display looks pretty sweet!
I may have to dig up a game or two...