PDA

View Full Version : Compatability with drivers..?

laurakoz
August 15th 07, 04:28 AM
Was installing (attempting to, at least) a GeForce MX 4000 into a Sony
Vaio (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz, 504MB RAM, XP Home, SP2). It had an
Intel 82865G card onboard. Keep getting "...could not find any drivers
that are compatible with your current hardware." I was fairly certain
that the nVidia card was of a better quality and newer than the onboard
one (perhaps I'm wrong?) but I tried a regular install, then tried to
point the driver update to the file myself, and finally tried to force
it with a similar (unsigned) 4 series driver from nVidia. Is there any
way to make this work, or am I fighting a losing battle?

Thanks :)

Mr.E Solved!
August 15th 07, 03:17 PM
laurakoz wrote:
> Was installing (attempting to, at least) a GeForce MX 4000 into a Sony
> Vaio (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz, 504MB RAM, XP Home, SP2). It had an
> Intel 82865G card onboard. Keep getting "...could not find any drivers
> that are compatible with your current hardware." I was fairly certain
> that the nVidia card was of a better quality and newer than the onboard
> one (perhaps I'm wrong?) but I tried a regular install, then tried to
> point the driver update to the file myself, and finally tried to force
> it with a similar (unsigned) 4 series driver from nVidia. Is there any
> way to make this work, or am I fighting a losing battle?
>
> Thanks :)

Generally you have to disable the onboard video before the system will
recognize the add-in graphics card. Do this in the PCs BIOS. Look for a
setting with the option "INIT GRAPHICS" or "VIDEO ORDER" or anything
along those lines and check if the setting is "ONBOARD/AGP" and switch
it to whatever the other option is, probably "PCI" or "AddON".

I have no idea where that setting is in a Vaio, but it is there
somewhere. BTW, you may have to uninstall the video drivers for the
onboard card to get the new card recognized as well.

Peter van der Goes[_2_]
August 15th 07, 11:30 PM
"laurakoz" > wrote in message

> Was installing (attempting to, at least) a GeForce MX 4000 into a Sony
> Vaio (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz, 504MB RAM, XP Home, SP2). It had an
> Intel 82865G card onboard. Keep getting "...could not find any drivers
> that are compatible with your current hardware." I was fairly certain
> that the nVidia card was of a better quality and newer than the onboard
> one (perhaps I'm wrong?) but I tried a regular install, then tried to
> point the driver update to the file myself, and finally tried to force
> it with a similar (unsigned) 4 series driver from nVidia. Is there any
> way to make this work, or am I fighting a losing battle?
>
> Thanks :)

You have this:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4mx.html

Your Viao comes with this:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel865g/

Where did you get this MX card? Used on eBay perhaps?
The MX 4000 series is old and outdated. When new, it was a low and budget
card. From the links above, it would appear that the onboard Intel video is
more up to date and a better choice. For example, Intel has Vista drivers
for the 82865G chipset and the *oldest* NVIDIA card series with full Vista
support is the 6000 series (yes, 2 generations newer than the 4000 series).

Benjamin Gawert
August 16th 07, 01:12 AM
* laurakoz:

> Was installing (attempting to, at least) a GeForce MX 4000 into a Sony
> Vaio (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz, 504MB RAM, XP Home, SP2). It had an
> Intel 82865G card onboard. Keep getting "...could not find any drivers
> that are compatible with your current hardware." I was fairly certain
> that the nVidia card was of a better quality

No.

> and newer than the onboard one

No.

>(perhaps I'm wrong?)

Yes, you are. The GF4 MX4000 was crap when it was new maybe 4 years ago.
The i865 chipset gfx is newer, and the "performance" of both is around
the same.

Get something newer which also fits better to your CPU. You should look
for a Geforce FX5500, Geforce 6200 or better, and I'd recommend to get
at least another 512MB of RAM.

Benjamin

First of One[_2_]
August 16th 07, 06:26 AM
Is this the driver you downloaded? If not, do so.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html